13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2012 11:25 AM by Peter Spier

While applying master pages, work is lost

luca del carlo Level 1

While attempting to apply a temporary change to master pages in a book that was nearly finished, CS3 seized up and shut down. Reopened it, and trying to undo the changes, but the work is gone it seems.

I do not see my past work after this change, and cannot undo.

I was intending to apply some guidelines accross the entire book via the master pages. Indvertantly, there was a new text frame across the the entire page with text wrap applied around it, and then applying master to the rest of the book, all the text work was pushed out due to the new text frame in the master with text wrap applied to it.

I went in to masters pages again, removed the additional text frame with text wrap and attemted to apply this. This may still work/.

Please go over the format (i.e. apply to Sec1:1-100) for apply master pages. My notes are lost and it is not detailed in the help section properly, though here somewhere on the forum I'm sure. I

If you have a book with 100 pages and you wish to apply changes across the entire book, which form is correct:

Sec1:1-100

or

Sec1:1 - Sec1:100

or

?

• 1. Re: While applying master pages, work is lost
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't really understand your question...

First, though, as you've discovered, change information is lost once the file is closed. Do you have a backup copy? If the file opened automatically whne ID started, that's the recovery copy and if you don't overwtite the original, if probably is still in the last saved state which might be before the bad edits.

As to making changes, what sort of changes, and is this a single document of 100 pages, or a book made of multiple documents?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: While applying master pages, work is lost
            luca del carlo Level 1

I am aware that change information is lost once you choose to close a file, or, in my case involuntarily closed it, unfortunately. Te back-up is, I'm afraid, not terribly recent.

Restarted ID, attempted to undo and remove the new text frames and apply them. It shut down again.

I suspect that if I can remove the additional text frame with text wrap that I intended to temporarily apply on Master Pages, then the work will no longer be pushed out by the text wrap frame applied on every page. Hope that makes a bit of sense.

I'm not applying the pages correctly as I still not have an intuitive grasp of how to number the pages you wish to apply. If one colon or a additional space that shouldn't be there is in the command, then "Apply Master to Pages" step won't work. That is why I've asked about the format (what is it? I'm aware it's something like Sec1: 1-100, but that's not precisely it.)

• 3. Re: While applying master pages, work is lost

Ar you saying you applied text wrap to a frame onthe master page, so now it has forced all of your text into overset?

I was not referring to a backup copy of your file, but the one you were working on last, which, unless you saved the recovery file over it, can be opened normally using File > Open...

If that doesn't work, try exporting the file that is opeing to .idml, then open that and save with a completley new name as a .indd file and see if the corruption is cleared out. You should then be able to remove that new text-wrapped frame from your master.

• 4. Re: While applying master pages, work is lost
                luca del carlo Level 1

Yes, an empty text frame was inserted, inadvertently, that had text wrap applied to it onto the master. All text is in overset.

When the file is opened, a prompt for auto recovery appears. Once selected, a warning that the file may be corrupted comes up, then the doc opens. When attempting to alter it now, it closes (attempted a few times).

How does one export as an idml? I'm using CS3 and don't see idml as an export option.

In order to remove the text wrap frame from the master, and apply that change globally, what is the labeling of the section(s)?  It's not intuitive to me, the command box, and a single error in the formatting of the command, and it's rejected ("This is not a valid page" or some verbiage).

Thank you

• 5. Re: While applying master pages, work is lost

Sorry -- didn't realize you were on CS3. For that version you use .inx, which actually has a better track record.

Here's what I would do:

Make sure ID is not running.

Find the InDesign Recovery folder. It should be in a subfloder of the folder where InDesign SavedData is stored, and you can find that information for various operating systems in this link: Replace Your Preferences, but don't actually replace the prefs, just find the path to SavedData.

Open the InDesign Recovery folder and move everything that is in it to a new folder in a safe place. DO NOT DELETE these files until you know you don't need them anymore.

Start InDesign. You will not be prompted about the recovery, and no files should open. Use File > Open... and navigate to the file that is causing problems. I would try selecting Open as a Copy.

Does it open? Is it usable?

• 6. Re: While applying master pages, work is lost
                    luca del carlo Level 1

I've located the ID Recovery folder, but this contains only a small file with 1 KB of data, so I suspect this is not what we want (perhaps a remnant of an earlier install of CS). Proceed with removing? Where do you recommend moving it to?

• 7. Re: While applying master pages, work is lost

Go ahead and move it to anywhere safe you like. Desktop is fine.

• 8. Re: While applying master pages, work is lost
                        luca del carlo Level 1

The file has been safely moved, and I'm going to now remove the applied frame which has thrown all text into overset.

I don't follow the format for applying changes across master pages,and am notified "one or more of the pages specified are not valid page names." If across the entire book, and the book is 100 pages, one or two sections, how do we format the request?

I've just attempted again to apply changes, and CS3 has crashed.

• 9. Re: While applying master pages, work is lost

I don't understand what you mean about applying changes across all pages. What commands, dialogs are you using?

• 10. Re: While applying master pages, work is lost
                            luca del carlo Level 1

I wish to apply some changes made on the master to all pages, and other changes on the master to only pages 50-75.

I know it'squite simple, and there's a great deal of info on how to apply master - I know the process. The issue is, once promted to give the page numbers, I no longer recall the format for entering the page numbers/sections (i.e. Sec1 : etc.. Does that make sense? If you cannot give the numbers the way ID wants them, you can't apply the changes.

Very simple, but thank you.

• 11. Re: While applying master pages, work is lost
                              luca del carlo Level 1

I understand how to apply the master to the pages now, however, ID is still crashing when I try to apply it. A warning/dialog box appears:

"Adobe InDesign has stopped working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

• 12. Re: While applying master pages, work is lost

If yo are using section numbering, you need to list the prefix for all page numbers, not just the first one. But you cannot use one master and apply one change to all pages, but a different change to only some pages, You would need two masters for that, one based on the other.

• 13. Re: While applying master pages, work is lost

The crash is probably not related to the master pages (though there was some sort of bug, perhaps with multi-column masters, but I don't remeber which version it was in). First, is CS3 patched to 5.0.4? Second, have you tried exporting to .inx to clean the file? see Remove minor corruption by exporting

This sort of behavior is also not uncommon if you have a bad font.