17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2012 9:10 AM by Shab3d
      • 2. Re: How to Create 3D Pavement Art
        Shab3d Level 1

Chris Cox,

Thanks for your reply. I have seen the "instructions" on Google before I

asked my question on the Adobe Forums, but these replies are not very

satisfactory, I am sure that if you take the time yourself to study

them, you will find them shallow and unprofessional. I was expecting to

find a more professional answer from such a highly regarded community as

the Adobe Forums. I am still waiting for a thorough and clear

instruction from someone who has done this kind of thing.

Shab Levy

• 3. Re: How to Create 3D Pavement Art
          Noel Carboni Level 8

LOL, how many people do you think have actually done 3D sidewalk art, really?

Thinking creatively, I'd probably use Edit - Distort - Perspective to pre-distort the picture you want to portray quite a bit.  For example:

Wonder.jpg

To get the angles right, you could take a photo from eye level of the sidewalk you're going to put it on, overlay your image, then use the Edit - Perspective Distortion tool to make the sides of the sidewalk seem parallel.

Sidewalk3.jpg

Just thinkin' outside the box, er, house.

-Noel

• 4. Re: How to Create 3D Pavement Art
            Level 7

Sorry my answer wasn't to your liking.  But sidewalk art doesn't really involve Photoshop (unless you're just trying to fake it on a digital image).

And a couple of the links from google did cover the basics of perspective projection, even if they didn't go into step by step detail.

Me? I'd just use a digital projector at the desired viewing location, project my image and sketch the outlines while it's dark, then finish the color during the day.

• 5. Re: How to Create 3D Pavement Art
              Shab3d Level 1

I don't know how many people on this forum have done sidewalk art and I

don't know how many people read this forum, but if 1,000 people read it,

there is a small chance that someone has tried. Nothing to lose by

asking. Thanks anyway for your answer. I may try the same question on

the Adobe Illustrator forum. I know how work in Photoshop with the

perspective tool and I understand the basics or rather the principle

upon which this kind of art is based upon, what I don't know is how to

make it correctly accurate.

Shab

• 6. Re: How to Create 3D Pavement Art
                Shab3d Level 1

No problem. Thanks.

Shab

• 7. Re: How to Create 3D Pavement Art
                  Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

I saw a nice video a while back about some apparently world famous chalk artist doing his thing on a peir at Venice Beach, but I can't remember his name, and nor can I Google him.  It followed the whole process complete with how he overcame problems.  The one thing I remember was that he sets up a camera right at the start which he constantly went back to as a reference.  Passers by were queing up to look through the camera as I guess this gave the perfect perspective and angle on his drawing.  I'll keep trying to find it as it really was quite informative.  He was a Brit btw, and pretty old.

• 8. Re: How to Create 3D Pavement Art

There you go.  Justin Beever, but I can only find a time lapse of what I saw before, which was on two long and detailed videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r54W7KleXIM

Or HERE

• 9. Re: How to Create 3D Pavement Art
                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 7

I answered on the Illustrator forum but wil add a bit here you can create a grid for the art as a stadard 2D art then make a grid on the pavement based on your grid but of course as seen from the camera angle.

Figuring out the grid depends on the angle you will be viewing it.

What they do is probably work wih a photo of the site raw then mark off using say the payment stones as a way of remapping the at if it is a street with blacktop perhaps he marks of either physically or mentally where the mapping points are related tothe grid.

It looks like he is the type of person that needs to do this mentally as it might be to confusing for him to do it blindly by the numbers some people do this better with a physical grid or points like poster painters.

• 10. Re: How to Create 3D Pavement Art
                        Shab3d Level 1

Thank you Trevor and thank you Wade for your answers. Indeed the video

of Julius Beever shows some of the steps he goes through, what I am

looking for is a more precise tutorial with more specific instructions,

especially on angles, and amount of perspective distortion. I am still

looking for that, but again thank you both for your efforts.

Shab

• 11. Re: How to Create 3D Pavement Art

I kind of think that sort of talent comes from deep inside, and just comes naturally if you have it.  But hey...  I don't have it so what do I know? 

• 12. Re: How to Create 3D Pavement Art
                            Shab3d Level 1

The talent is certainly what distinguishes a work of art from a simple

geometrical drawing, albeit a correctly made drawing. I don't have that

talent for artistic drawing or painting either, but at least I could

learn the technique involved. Perhaps then, one day I can draw a simple

cube on my driveway, and as long as the cube would look realistic, I

would be happy with it.

Thanks again.

Shab

• 13. Re: How to Create 3D Pavement Art
                              Noel Carboni Level 8

It seems to me you didn't read past the first sentence in my post.  I told you how to set up the perspective.

-Noel

• 14. Re: How to Create 3D Pavement Art
                                Wade_Zimmerman Level 7

He read it it but wht the op thinks is that there is a mechanical way of applying this to creating the art. that is they are looking for the percise angle t setthe camera and the percise location you place the camera and the grid should be defined by a specific measurement for each progressive unit. What you gave him was the concept and the how it is done but that requires figuring it out and the OP is saying they do not understand how one would figure it out and the answer is that you have to understand the concept and the OP doesn't really want to…well bother with understanding the concept they just want to hit numbers and keys on a keyboard and there you go as easy as that.

Or probably better than that tae a photo of the place where you would create the art and then have a program map the image to the photo and then printout a outline of the art so you could just stencil or trace it in place. Now if the OP want to do a little thinking then you of course actually gave them a good clue as to how to do exactly that and all they have to do is think about it…except they wants you to do al that work for them.

Get it?

• 15. Re: How to Create 3D Pavement Art
                                  Noel Carboni Level 8

That's what I did, Wade, with the second image.

Perhaps the one overriding truth is that True Inspiration motivates people to go out and do things.

-Noel

• 16. Re: How to Create 3D Pavement Art
                                    A1_Adam Level 1

I always assumed that an amateur approach to this technique would be to use an image projector set up to view at the proper angle/perspective. 

After tracing the guidelines from the projected image, it would just be a matter of finishing the artwork within those guidelines - possibly using the projector along the way for reference.

Also - that Justin Beever guy must hate his name now.

• 17. Re: How to Create 3D Pavement Art
                                      Shab3d Level 1

I did indeed read it, here is what you wrote:  "To get the angles right,

you could take a photo from eye level of the sidewalk you're going to

put it on, overlay your image, then use the Edit - Perspective

Distortion tool to make the sides of the sidewalk seem parallel."

Unfortunately this is too vague for me, I am looking for a step-by-step

tutorial hopefully from someone who has done this kind of thing before.

I am still hopeful that someone, somewhere has what I need.

Thanks anyway,

Shab