4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2012 9:13 AM by Rick Gerard

Hey everyone, I need urgent help with a vfx shot. Please anyone!

nrskargee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JReojFkK53M&feature=channel_video_title

At the time marker 2:19. It is a sort of Force Kick. I need to know how to make the victim fly back like in this video. I understand how to do the motion blur and the lens flare with sparks. But how does he animate that body to fly back??

• 1. Re: Hey everyone, I need urgent help with a vfx shot. Please anyone!
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Looks like a simple cutout job and then they animated a 3D layer. You could also use the puppet tool to beef it up a little. And you might wanna attach some NSFW warning next time. Seeing this kind of stuff is not realyl something all people will enjoy, least of all at 7 in the morning....

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Hey everyone, I need urgent help with a vfx shot. Please anyone!
            nrskargee Level 1

Oh sorry man, well thanks for the help. Could you please go into more detail about how to go through this effect? What do you mean animate a 3D layer?

• 3. Re: Hey everyone, I need urgent help with a vfx shot. Please anyone!
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

nrskargee wrote:

...how does he animate that body to fly back??

To me, it looks like a combination of a practical effect and AE.

The practical effect: a harness on the victim, linked to a heavy weight on a rig via a green cable.  Drop the wright, and the victim gets yanked back violently.  You'll note the camera's angle NEVER shows the victim's back in that shot.

To get the effect, match the angles & lighting, shoot it against a big green screen and key it out with the aid of an animated garbage matte.  To add more violence to the shot, animate the victim layer''s rotation & position to make it appear he flies upward a bit, adjust the speed, and as Mylenium says, the Puppet Tool would be a good choice for warping the victim's body.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Hey everyone, I need urgent help with a vfx shot. Please anyone!
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This kind of thing is much easier to do if you have a clean plate to start with. What that means is you shoot the guy delivering the kick with no one in the scene, then shoot the guy getting kicked in a similar location from the same angle from the sun and the same angle and distance front he camera so that he's easy to cut out. A portable green screen can be useful here.

Now just cut out your kickee and do a little roto to the kicker so his foot can be in front of the kickee, and animate away. Not difficult in practice, but without good production planning and a little common sense shooting the footage a hard effect to sell. I didn't buy the one in the sample clip as plausible. It was cute, but not plausible because of several problems that I won't go into right now. If I was grading the effects as a graduate level compositing project I'd give it a C.