4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2012 10:29 AM by Szalam

Best rendering settings for my specs?

zerowp

I have been digging around the internet and toying with the settings others have suggested for after effects, but not quite gotten what i want. I do have the secret options checked and purged the memory use from previews and whatnot.

my machine has an i7 2600k oc'd to 4.4, 8 gb of ram and a geforce 560 ti...

however i cant seem to get a render to work at all (or incredily slow) unless i have opengl render checked. and while that options isnt too bad, i'm not making much use of my comps power. At best i'm using all all 8 cores at about 15-20% and the gpu isnt seeing much more stress on it than that.

any suggestings would be greatly appreciated 

• 1. Re: Best rendering settings for my specs?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

There is no way to enforce anything beyond a certain point. Rendering performance depends on what goes on in the project, what effects are used etc.. Slow disks will hamper footage I/O, temporal calculations will turn off MP rendering and make thing generally slower and encoding to specific formats wil ldo the same. So in short, you are looking for a simple answer that doesn't exist. in fact settings may need to be adjusted with every new project. Anyway, read this.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Best rendering settings for my specs?
            zerowp Level 1

I understand that, and definitely try to tinker with the settings until i can get the best results, but some of these problems are just odd.

i'd have to imagine there's something specific that i've set wrong to make it so normal renders dont work, ya? theyll only work with the openGL render option checked.

i've also had some oddities with most of the encoding formats too, can codec packs like klite mess how AE renders?

• 3. Re: Best rendering settings for my specs?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

can codec packs like klite mess how AE renders?

Umm, yes. Congratulations, you have just ruined your system. Get rid of that garbage and reinstall everything.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Best rendering settings for my specs?
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                Congratulations, you have just ruined your system. Get rid of that garbage and reinstall everything.

Mylenium, I'm going to start using that line from now on.

I do not remember any codec pack in the past ever being as evil to a system as K-Lite is. What the heck is up with that thing?