4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2012 11:09 AM by lilia@

Finding Color Use

mpkadobe Level 1

I am using CS5 InDesign ver. 7, on a mac OS10.6.8

I am trying to find out what color a certain section of text is. Previously, I had made it a light grey and now want to find out exactly what that grey is. When I select the text, the Swatches panel and Color Wheel show the text color as being Black (100%K of CMYK). If I change the color to any other color, the Swatches panel and Color wheel show that color properly, but this light grey only shows up as Black. What could be going wrong?

Thank you.

Marc

• 1. Re: Finding Color Use
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Perhaps instead of using a tint (adjusting the density of the ink by uing the slider in the swatches panel), you adjusted the transparency inthe Effects panel.

• 2. Re: Finding Color Use
            mpkadobe Level 1

Thank you Peter;

I see, in fact, I had adjusted the tint — although I don't remember doing so. So now I understand that ID considers this color, not a gray, but Black with a 70% density. Got it.

I cannot rename it (Black and it's relatives seem to be locked) and when I duplicate it to make a new swatch that I can rename, ID also seems to duplicate the original Black as well. Funny.

• 3. Re: Finding Color Use
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

To make a Tint swatch that you can apply easily anywhere, choose one of your swatches (including [Black]) and fromthe swatches paael flyout menu choose New Tint Swatch... and set the density. It will add the tint swatch to the panel.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Finding Color Use
                lilia@ Level 2

mpkadobe wrote:

I cannot rename it (Black and it's relatives seem to be locked) and when I duplicate it to make a new swatch that I can rename, ID also seems to duplicate the original Black as well. Funny.

Read up on the swatches panel in ID Help ... it's awesome... http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6c99a.h tml

FYI the colours named with square brackets [x] are ID defaults and shouldt never need to be deleted... just to recreate it? Waste of time... move along.

I will point this out though... depending on your prefs, the [Black] swatch is usually set to overprint at 100%... so be careful when creating black blocks over various colours.

I know some people avoid overprinting by applying the [Black] at 99%... but what they don't realise is that it's not the percentage that is preferenced... its the NAME > [Black].

Reducing the ink% does stop it from overprinting... as well as turning off that preference... but I don't recommend that either...black type should always be set to overprint otherwise you run the risk of having trapping issues... of course not in all situations... but it does happen.. alot. I suggest creating a Black 100K (labelled this way) and use that for black objects and such.

1 person found this helpful