2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2012 12:56 PM by davidbeisner2010

One channel of memory not working... fixable?

davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Ok, so I've narrowed down my memory issue (you know, the one from the post about the motherboard not booting, where my system was only recognizing 16GB, not 24GB) to a channel on the motherboard not recognizing it. I tried 1 chip at a time in slot A1, until I had verified that all six chips booted properly at 4GB. Then I stuck one chip in A1 (because the mobo requires a chip in A1 to boot), and the one by one stuck chips in the other slots, A2, B1, B2, C1, & C2, and discovered that every time I stuck a chip in another slot, the mobo would recognize 8GB of memory, as it should... except slots B1 and B2. Those slots weren't recognized at all by my BIOS.

So apparently that channel isn't picking up the memory... is there anything that can be done to fix that? FWIW, CPUID's CPU-Z does see all 24GB of memory, so somehow they are at least partially working... it's just the BIOS and Windows system that can't pick it up. It also concerns me because not only am I not getting my full 24GB, but I'm also not getting advantage of the triple-channel speed increase...

I've searched the BIOS from top to bottom, and there's no setting there that limits which channels are powered on... so I'm stumped. Ideas?

BTW, the mobo is the Asus P6T6 WS Revolution with an Intel i7-920 (D0) CPU. I'm also running a GTX 580 and a GTX 285 and a Raid card.