3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2012 11:05 AM by Bill Gehrke

Will a ramdrive help with Premiere Pro 5.0?

JobJoe

I am upgrading my memory to a total of 32 GB and have read a little bit about using a ramdrive.  Will this help with video editing, and if so, how can I best utilize this extra memory?

• 1. Re: Will a ramdrive help with Premiere Pro 5.0?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

With only 32 GB memory, it does not seem worthwhile to create a ramdrive. First it takes time to start the ramdrive, second the memory used for the ramdrive can not be used by the application, and increasing memory from 16 to 32 GB gives a distinct advantage. My feeling is that it is not worthwhile to create a ramdrive with such a limited amount of memory. If you had 64+ GB, then it would make sense to use a ramdrive of say 24 GB.

• 2. Re: Will a ramdrive help with Premiere Pro 5.0?
            jasonvp Level 3

JobJoe wrote:

I am upgrading my memory to a total of 32 GB and have read a little bit about using a ramdrive.  Will this help with video editing, and if so, how can I best utilize this extra memory?

I don't completely agree with what Harm said in his post, but some of his points are valid.  First it shouldn't really take any machine very long at all to create a RAM drive, and once created it should be easy to constantly re-use.  If it fills up with scratch files that you know you don't need, you can delete the files, or free the RAM drive and then re-create it.

That said, memory use is the key and only you know how much RAM your PPro instance is using during your normal editing.  If you know for sure that PPro never exceeds, say, 10G of RAM, you could easily create a 16G RAM drive and tell PPro to use it for scratch space.  But obviously that's 16G of RAM you can't use for anything else, so your system will begin paging if it needs more for some reason.  So before you do that, it's up to you to figure out A)how much RAM you need to do your normal edits, and B)how much space you need for scratch, on average.

I do think 32G is cutting it a bit close, per Harm.  I have 48 and I cut 16 of it off and make a scratch drive with it.  That works out well for me, but it may not for you.  You have to figure that one out yourself.

Make sense?

jas

• 3. Re: Will a ramdrive help with Premiere Pro 5.0?
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Unfortunately I have found that you cannot believe Windows reporting how much RAM you are using.  Just going from 16 GB to 32 GB I found my H.264 encoding dropped from 60 seconds to 52 seconds.  Using a 14 GB RAMdisk netted no appreciable change running PPBM5.5 with all the project in the RAMdisk but of courswe I do have a very fast Project drive anyway.  "Test and Ye Shall See" the 13th Commandment!