17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2013 4:25 AM by TheAnorak

Keyboard shortcuts for styles

Derek Cross Level 6

Is there a way of assigning a keyboard shortcut to an InDesign style if you have a keyboard without a numeric keypad?

Thanks

Derek

(OS 10.6.8, InDesign  CS5.5)

• 1. Re: Keyboard shortcuts for styles
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I beleive there's a utility for remapping keys, but other suggestions include using Quick Apply or for things that you need to have "real" kb shortcuts assigned to  you can use a script to assigne them, then make a shortcut for the script.

• 2. Re: Keyboard shortcuts for styles
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm in that situation since my MacBook Pro is the primary of my two computers. I strongly support Peter's suggestion of using Quick Apply. I find it at last as fast as an assigned shortcut and MUCH easier to remember.

• 3. Re: Keyboard shortcuts for styles
              Derek Cross Level 6

As usual, many thanks.

Derek

• 4. Re: Keyboard shortcuts for styles
                John Hawkinson Level 5

Quick Apply. I find it at last as fast as an assigned shortcut and MUCH easier to remember.

How could it possibly be faster?

One keypress versus at least four!

Clearly Quick Apply has a memory advantage, but that's all about habits and training and preferences.

• 5. Re: Keyboard shortcuts for styles
                  samallen3 Level 1

I had always wondered about this, and found in the help files a sentence telling me I couldn't without a numlock key.  I was disappointed.  I mainly use quick apply, but I do agree with John in the fact that pressing one shortcut instead of having to search through a list would be more convenient.  Especially for those of us who have great amounts of similar character and paragraph styles.  Maybe in the future this will be remedied. 

• 6. Re: Keyboard shortcuts for styles
                    Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How could it possibly be faster?

One keypress versus at least four!

I am just now wrapping up a 600-page bilingual project with about 150 paragraph styles. I have numpad shortcuts for commonly used styles like "bodyText" or "sectionIntro." However, the hassle of moving my hands from the keyboard to the mouse to scroll through the list of styles is time-consuming enough that I use Quick Apply for almost all character styles, and many of the paragraph styles as well. And, because some of those styles are not commonly used, I often find that I'm using Quick Apply on a parastyle that already has a numpad shortcut - because I never remember whether the 5th-level outline entry with para space after is control-shift-numpad5 or control-alt-shift-numpad5. I dunno if this is why Steve finds Quick Apply so quick, but when I get to name my own styles, it's pretty much impossible to forget "o5a" for the 5th level outline with para space after, and I don't have to go scrolling through lists, expanding style groups, and so on. So, I feel you on that skepticism (even though he said it was as fast, not faster) but over the long run I've found Quick Apply to be signficantly faster for long documents with too many styles, despite the fact that

[ctrl-Enter] [o5a] [Enter]

requires more keystrokes than

[ctrl-alt-shift-numpad5]

• 7. Re: Keyboard shortcuts for styles
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

They also make external numeric keypads that plug into a USB port, I believe...

• 8. Re: Keyboard shortcuts for styles
                        Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Peter Spier wrote:

They also make external numeric keypads that plug into a USB port, I believe...

Yeah, I own one of those, from my RSI-induced one-handed InDesign setup.

If the numpad thing is a real issue, I recall that it's possible to set up little scripts that just apply individual styles, and then assign keyboard shortcuts to those scripts.

• 9. Re: Keyboard shortcuts for styles
                          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Peter – yeah, I bought a separate USB keyboard with numeric keypad for that reason.

Ok. Not exactly for that reason, but I found out that you cannot use "enter" on an MacBookPro to start a script from the JavaScript Console in Acrobat Pro. Even in combination with "fn" it's impossible without an numeric keypad. And somehow Adobe forgot to implement the "Execute"-button. Weird. (Sorry, but this was a bit OT.)

Uwe

• 10. Re: Keyboard shortcuts for styles
                            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I might be mistaken, but I'm nearly sure there was an App for a smartphone that allowed to use your phone as the numeric keyboard, either by usb or bluetooth, but I can't find anything on it now???

I strongly recommend getting an external numeric keyboard.

• 11. Re: Keyboard shortcuts for styles
                              lilia@ Level 2

a numeric keyboard will cost you around $50 (in oz) (i have one for my laptop)... go and get yourself a cheap regular keyboard, probably $20 and plug it into a USB port (i prefer the KB)... its good to always have a spare KB around... you never know when you'll need it.

• 12. Re: Keyboard shortcuts for styles
                                Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have two laptops and I have two full keyboards from Logitech that work via bluetooth.

I don't like the keyboards on laptops, too cramped.

I bought a full keyboard and mouse from Logitech for about €50.

• 13. Re: Keyboard shortcuts for styles
                                  lilia@ Level 2

i hate laptop keyboards... mine sits on a docking station... out of the way... and my gorgeous monitor that has fantastic colour (calibrated nicely) lights up my world... LOL

...she says as she sits on her mac... the pc is for work... the mac is for love

• 14. Re: Keyboard shortcuts for styles
                                    rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The AppleScript is a simple one line script, where MyStyle is the name of your style:

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS5.5"

set applied paragraph style of selection to "MyStyle"

end tell

You can make a folder in your Scripts folder (/Applications/Adobe InDesign CS5.5/Scripts) named Styles, duplicate the above script as many times as needed each with the name of a style. When you assign a keyboard shortcut to a script the shows in the Scripts panel, so you can leave it open and get a visual reminder of the key command.

• 15. Re: Keyboard shortcuts for styles
                                      graceclyn

I have an imac with a wireless keyboard - just bought a usb keypad, which is a plug in and go item. Works fine apart from I cannot get shortcuts to work on it. (eg. opt+1). I have a checked that it is compatible with the mac and it is. Can anyone shed some light on this. Its a mobility lab numeric keypad.

Thanks

• 16. Re: Keyboard shortcuts for styles
                                        tylerkb

I just bought a Bluetooth keypad solely for this purpose, and I'm having the same issue - it seems to work fine as an input device, but InDesign isn't recognizing it for keyboard shortcuts. Swallowing some choice words right now.

• 17. Re: Keyboard shortcuts for styles
                                          TheAnorak

Apologies for resurrecting a long-dormant thread, but it came up in a search for something related and I thought this might be useful info:

On older MacBook Pros (and presumably on older desktop macs with the shorty bluetooth keyboard) you can use Fn + U,I,O,P/J,K,L,;/M,comma,period,slash to activate a "soft" numeric keypad. This works with Indesign such that Fn+Cmd-J is equivalent to Cmd-4 on the numeric keypad, which makes applying styles with keyboard shortcuts possible, and arguably easier than using the keypad itself (I don't have massive hands, so Cmd-9 is an uncomfortable stretch on the keypad).

On the rMBP (and I suspect newer iMacs and the like, although I don't know for certain) this is disabled, but you can re-enable it with KeyMap4MacBook (possibly other utilities too).