13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2012 2:30 PM by lucar10

Marvell Serial ATA 6.0 & Intel Z68 Serial ATA 6.0: where to connect my boot and raid 0 drives?

lucar10

Hi: I am about to start putting together all the components for my very first time built system. My Intel i7 2600k CPU should arrive this week and in the meantime I am trying to figure it out how the HD should be connected properly. I have planned to use:

1 320Gb Samsung Spinpoint F4 (system drive)

2 (2Tb) RAID 0, Western Digital Caviar Black 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb (video/projects) Idecided to use the WD because they offer 5 yr warranty versus 3 yrs from Hitachi.

1 (2Tb) Western Digital Caviar Black 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5 (exports)

Later, another 2Tb (1) for backups.

Motherboard to be used: ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 and CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB)

I was reading the ASUS manual to understand how and why to connect the drives where they are supposed to be in, and have also read other comments from people that have had issues enabling or not enabling the Raid0 before or after installing the OS when installing the drives.

As I have said this is my first built, I am not good on tech solving problem situations like these, but open to learn and follow the right instructions. ANY thougths or helpful opinions are very welcomed! I just want to make sure I will do things right the very first time.

Luis

• 1. Re: Marvell Serial ATA 6.0 & Intel Z68 Serial ATA 6.0: where to connect my boot and raid 0 drives?
          Islanders66 Level 1

Connect your boot drive to one of the the 6 gb SATA (Marvell). The RAID O would go on the 3 gb SATA.

I suggest this because when you go to set up your RAID O in the BIOS only the drives connected to the SATA 3 have the option to make a RAID drive.

Go ahead and put together your computer, install everything, update everything, then to create RAID 0, restart hold down CTRL i and that will take you to the create RAID in the BIOS. Create RAID O, select HDDs. Restart go to Disk Management and format the RAID O you created. It will show as one drive with twice the capacity of  a single drive. Done.

PS.. the Marvell device in the printers and devices has always showed an exclimation, that it needs trouble shoothing, even after updating the driver, however everything has always worked fine. 

Edit: One other tip would be to just intall one hdd for your C: programs, OS, and go ahead and install the OS. This way Windows installer doesn't have the option to install the Boot, Crash Dump, etc on some other disk. Then plug in your other drives when you are ready to create your RAID.

good luck!

• 2. Re: Marvell Serial ATA 6.0 & Intel Z68 Serial ATA 6.0: where to connect my boot and raid 0 drives?
            lucar10 Level 1

Thanks Islanders66 for the reply.

In fact I was thinking on installing just the system drive first and then the Raid0 second and the 2tb exports drive third to make it easier and avoid headaches until I read the Raid 0 problems. I am glad you mentioned that!

One thing I was not clear (I did not explained right) is that the Samsung F4 (system drive) is a SATA 3.0 gb and all other Caviar Blacks are SATA 6.0 gb. Should I connect this drive to the SATA 3.0 port or still to the SATA 6.0 Marvell as you recommended?

Will the SATA 3.0 drive work fine in the SATA 6.0  ports?

I can see the ASUS motherboard has 4 SATA 3.0 ports, 2 SATA 6.0 Intel and 2 SATA 6.0 Marvell portsa. My plans are to have 2 (2Tb) Caviar Black as a Radi0 (video/projects), 1 (2Tb) caviar Black for exports and 1 (2Tb) Caviar Black for backups. I Also learned that the optical drives (2 to be installed) have to be connected into de SATA 3.0 ports.

With this configuration, it looks like I will not have enough ports for what I have in mind. If that is the case, what should I do?

When using the SATA 6.0 ports for single drives (assuming the system drive will use the SATA 3.0), which one should I use as a first option: still the Marvell one?

Once these 2 Marvell ports  have been used, do I need to make any changes in Bios to have the Intel SATA 6.0 port to work properly?

Thanks again

Luis

• 3. Re: Marvell Serial ATA 6.0 & Intel Z68 Serial ATA 6.0: where to connect my boot and raid 0 drives?
              Islanders66 Level 1

That's a good idea to install the HDDs as you go. I also name mine "RAID 1" or whatever just to make it easy to know what's what instead of them all being "new drive".. haha

Maybe someone else can chime in here. I didn't realize that there were 8 SATA ports total, 2 Marvell, 2 6gb, and 4 3gb. I assumed there were just 6.  My drives are all 6.0 gb, but I would assume the 3.0 gb drive will work on the 6.0 gb SATA connection. The only reason I suggested using one of the Marvell was not to take up one one the SATA 3 that you will need for RAID and BR recorder. You may be able to use the other 6.0 gb as a RAID 0. I would try that first. Either it will show up in the list of drives you can RAID in the BIOS (ctrl i) or not. I can't really tell from the specs  http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68_DELUXEGEN3/#specifications

You can use USB 3.0 for an external backup. Although with 8 ports you should be able to configure 1 boot, 2 RAID 0 (four HDD total) 2 back up drives, and a BR. That's what I have on an Asus, although it's 2 6gh Marvell and 6 3gb SATA.

Edit: You may also want to go ahead and format both the HDD in Drive Management that you will use for RAID 0. You don't have to span them or anything. Then when you restart and hold dowm ctrl i it well simply reformat them and create the drive. I don't think it matters because when you create the RAID it erases everything and creates the volume. Then you will go back to Disk Management and you will see the one large disk that has been RAID O any you crate the new volume and name it. I don't think you need to format them before creating the RAID but that's exactly the way I did it. 

• 4. Re: Marvell Serial ATA 6.0 & Intel Z68 Serial ATA 6.0: where to connect my boot and raid 0 drives?
                lucar10 Level 1

Ok...so far I have my computer running. It looks fine fo far!

What I have done is installed the OS HD to the SATA 3.0 port as well as the Optical drive (one so far, the second will be installed later), and one of the eSATA cables from the front of the case. (so I used all 4 ports); the SATA 6.0 Intel (2) were used for the 2(2tb) Caviar Black HD as Raid0; and one of the Marvell SATA 6.0 for one of the single 2Tb CB HD (not installed yet).

I did activate the Raid configuration before installing W7, the OS hard drive, the optical drive and the 2 hd to be used as a raid. Then, reboot, Ctrl+I to select the RAID0 drives, save and reboot.

One thing that I noticed is when rebooting I can read a message that it says "Physical Drive: No Physical Drive!" but the system loads W7 and it seems to work fine. Did I miss anything?

Then, when I got W7 loaded went to Computer Management and get this message :"Initialize Disk" and have two options to choose: MBR (master boot record) and GTP (guid partition table). Which one should I choose? Here the 2 (2tb hd) are shown as one (unallocated 3726.03 Gb disk). The "Initialize Disk" window says that the GTP option is recommended for disks larger than 2 Tb. Is this the option I need to choose?

Thanks, Luis

• 5. Re: Marvell Serial ATA 6.0 & Intel Z68 Serial ATA 6.0: where to connect my boot and raid 0 drives?
                  Islanders66 Level 1

Nice work! The 3.0 for OS is fine. Either the 6.0 Marvel or the 3.0. It just depends on how you might configure it in the future. I also had an eSata into one of the 3.0 but switched that to another internal HDD for another backup drive, as I didn't use eSata, and USB3 is just as good for backup drive. Not sure why it said no physical drive. I installed W7 first. It probably doesn't make much differance. Just make sure your OS drive is all on one HDD. When I installed the OS W7 it put the Boot part on another drive that you won't notice until you need to restore from a backup.

Yes, you need to initialize the disk. I used GTP for the disk larger than 2 TB. I think I used GTP for all of the drives except for the OS. You might want to do some more reseach on that but it's working fine on mine.

Formatting and initializing the disk is standard everytime you intall a new disk or make take disk in or out of a RAID.

I would suggest installing Core Temp. It's a free download and will tell you the exact temp of all your cores. You don't want any excessive heat over 65c. You are probably way below that as long as your fan is working and was installed properly.

Let us know if you have any more qustions.

PS.. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I would have installed the one OS disk first and installed the OS on that then installed the remaining disk. That's the only way I could prevent the Windows installer from installing parts of the OS on other disk. You can add or remove or reconfigure the RAID 0 in the BIOS at any time.

• 6. Re: Marvell Serial ATA 6.0 & Intel Z68 Serial ATA 6.0: where to connect my boot and raid 0 drives?
                    lucar10 Level 1

Thanks!

How about "No Physical disk" message?

Wheh I connect the next 2 b drive on the Marvell 6.0 port it would dissapear but will not load windows and get a message on the motherboard (AE= Legacy Bootn Event). Previously, I installed all drivers from the Asus Cd because I noticed that there were some yellow signs on device manager, after instalation and reboots they were gone.

Also, I succesfully installed the raid0 HDs and they work fine.

The problem now is to install the 4th drive on the Marvell SATA 6.0 port, that's when I get the error mesages. When I move it to the SATA 3.0 it loads windows fine and it is recognized and ready to be initialized.

The problem is that I need tio use at least 7 of the 8 ports and the Marvel ones are giving me problems. I have checked on bios (CRTL+I) and they look enabled. The fuirst boot is still the OD and second boot the OS HD.

I am also using and old Asus Radeon HD3870 (this is only a card for testing purposes. It will be replaced. drivers have not been installed)

Any thoughts?

• 7. Re: Marvell Serial ATA 6.0 & Intel Z68 Serial ATA 6.0: where to connect my boot and raid 0 drives?
                      Islanders66 Level 1

In my experience, I have one 2TB HDD and the OS HDD on the Marvell 6.0. I even changed the 2tb HDD from a 3.0 intell port to the Marvell by simply plugging it in the slot.

When you go to Disk Management your C: should have "Healthy (System, Boot, Page Fine, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)"  What I was getting at was that if there is another drive installed the Windows installer may put the "System or Boot" on another drive, which is not what you want. However as long as it has everything listed in the C: you are fine. It will all work if, say, the System is on another drive other than the C: but you now have your OS on 2 seperate drives instead of one.

If it were me I would try the OS disk on the Marvell drive, although like I said, both work on mine. My HDD are also 6GB.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

I remmeber having to search around for an update to the Marvell. Make sure to copy down the ID# and google it. LIke I said I still have an exclimation by mine and have exhaused every kind of upgrade. In fact when you use the device manager to have it search for a fix or update the driver it says it requires no driver. Although I did find some kind of update when I searched for it. You may try that.

• 8. Re: Marvell Serial ATA 6.0 & Intel Z68 Serial ATA 6.0: where to connect my boot and raid 0 drives?
                        Islanders66 Level 1

I installed the Marvell 91xx drivers from here: http://www.station-drivers.com/page/marvell.htm 

Perhaps this wasn't the best place? Everything worked so I gave up. I just did a Google search and another thread said to update the drivers from the mohter board's website.

• 9. Re: Marvell Serial ATA 6.0 & Intel Z68 Serial ATA 6.0: where to connect my boot and raid 0 drives?
                          lucar10 Level 1

I have checked if the C drive had all the characteristics that you mentioned before your comments and they look fine, just the way you described.

The video HD (raid0) was installed after the system HD. I cheched on Asus site that the OS should be installed after activating the raid feature on bios to about problems, so I did that too.

I think I wil  try to movce the C and 2tb single drive to the Marvell ports to see what happens. I would assume that I may loose all the information already on C ans will havwe to install w7 again.

Lets wee what happens.

Thanks again for helping!

• 10. Re: Marvell Serial ATA 6.0 & Intel Z68 Serial ATA 6.0: where to connect my boot and raid 0 drives?
                            Islanders66 Level 1

Good. I just wanted to make sure your C: was how it should be. It took me months to notice that and had to do a complete reinstall. It happens. Yes, good thing you activated the raid feathure in the BIOS.

You may just need to update your driver for your motherboard. I also did that for mine but still have a excemation mark that Marvel, although everything works fine, so I think it's just a false warning. For what it's worth my machine has never crashed, never hung up or anything, and is in the top 10 at the bench mark site. So, once you trouble shoot a few loose ends you can have a very stable machine.

I had to reinstall my OS a dozen times when I was building mine, no big deal.

• 11. Re: Marvell Serial ATA 6.0 & Intel Z68 Serial ATA 6.0: where to connect my boot and raid 0 drives?
                              lucar10 Level 1

Well...if it were not for you I would have probably cut my neck after these frustrations but learning experiences. Everything was going fine until I got all these issues with the HDs.

After my last post, I moved to HD cables to every possible position until I got it to work and install the 4th 2tb drive, until I had the first, second and third blue screen...so I decided to pull everything back, format the OS HD and start all over again. Right now I am installing all  Asus drivers from the CD.

The way I moved the cables was:

OS to the Marvell as well as the optical drive (at the Asus forum it was reported that a OD would work on Marvel 6.0 (mine did); raid0 to the Intel 3.0; single 2tb to the Intel 6.0. But when I tried to reinstall w7 the OD could not be found and I moved the cable to the 3.0.

I will post later how this ended. I just do not want to see more blue screens ansd continue the rest of the instalation when sure it works fine to avoid too much waste of time...maybe I need another 9 more tries installing w7?

Hope not!

Thanks!

• 12. Re: Marvell Serial ATA 6.0 & Intel Z68 Serial ATA 6.0: where to connect my boot and raid 0 drives?
                                Islanders66 Level 1

You shouldn't be getting any blue screens. Usually you install the drivers from the DVD that came with the motherboard right away. Let us know if that was the issue.

You would have figured this out on your own. At least now you can trouble shoot your computer when a HDD goes bad, and at some point it will.

• 13. Re: Marvell Serial ATA 6.0 & Intel Z68 Serial ATA 6.0: where to connect my boot and raid 0 drives?
                                  lucar10 Level 1
                                  I contacted this morning Asus and gave me a ticket # to contact a level 2 support (what??). This guy confirme that all OD should be only connected to the SATA 3.0 ports, and explained to him that evrytime I connect anything on the Marvell ports it would stop windows to load. Anyway...I decided to try again and move the connections until I find the right place. I ended up reinstalling windows 3 mores times (since I had a blue screen related to a hadrware problem..which one? I don't know yet, but I am assuming it could be my old video card I am using temporarily), connecting my Samsung Spinpoint SATA 3.0 (OS) to the 3.0 ports as well as the OD; then added the raid0 2 (2tb) to the Intel 6.0 ports, the single 2tb to the 3.0 port and later the 2nd OD also in the 3.0 port.
                                  So far working fine. I will be connecting it to the internet soon to have the windows updates done and other ones to see what happens. Wish me luck an again THANKS for your valuable help.
                                  Luis