8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2012 1:03 PM by Peter Spier

Help with Setup

SunnyBaySCS82

I'm in dire need of some help.

I work at a weekly publication and am trying to migrate our programs to Windows 7. Our current setup is working with Indesign 2.0 in Windows 2000 Professional, with Adobe Acrobat 5.0. The printer we have is a HP Laserjet 5000. I tried to set up postscripting with Indesign 2.0 on the new PC and it was showing a memory error. I'm not sure what to do with that. I downloaded a free trial of Indesign CS 5.5 to see if it would work any easier and I got it to postscript with no errors. Bad thing is, the press couldn't open the PDF because it said it was the wrong size, even though it was last week's page I reprocessed. Can anyone walk me through as to what I need to do in order for the postscripting to work right?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Help with Setup
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I have ID 2.0.1 running here on the XP Virtual Machine in Windows 7 Professional 64 bit (It's a free download form Microsoft), but I don't recommend it as a way to work for anything real. I have not tried, that I can remember, to print from it, and it wouldn't surprise me to have problems.

That said, printing to postscript is a very antiquated method of producing PDF (about as old as ID 2). You should be EXPORTING to PDF from any recent version of ID (and even from ID 2). If you insist on distilling, you'll need to tell us if you are printing to ps and then disitilling as a second step, or using the Adobe PDF virtual printer before we can help with a page size issue, but the problem is traceable to the page size selected in the print setup.

• 2. Re: Help with Setup
            SunnyBaySCS82 Level 1

Thank you for responding! The current way we postscript from ID 2.0 in W2000 is going to File> Printer Styles and to a saved setting. from there it says the Printer and the PPD is set to Acrobat Distiller. It asks where to save the .ps file, hit save then double click the .ps file then it process through Distiller then the PDF pops up.

So with the W7 I can try the ID 2.0 and just Export from there? Any other settings in that I need to be aware of?

• 3. Re: Help with Setup

First off, what version of Windows 7? The XP virtual machine is only available for Pro and Ultimate, and I don't think ID 2 will install and run properly under real Windows 7. Aside from that, you need to set your export options, just as you would distiller options. If you have one, you can use the same .joboptions file.

• 4. Re: Help with Setup
                SunnyBaySCS82 Level 1

Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

• 5. Re: Help with Setup

Well, you might get ID 2 to install, but I sure wouldn't depend on it to run properly in a production environment. Go back to your CS5.5 trial and try exporting...

• 6. Re: Help with Setup
                    SunnyBaySCS82 Level 1

Thanks for the responses, any other suggestions are welcome.

I found an upgrade for Pagemaker 6.0 to ID CS 5.5. Is it worth it? I notice the price is inexpensive to upgrade so that would be preferable.

• 7. Re: Help with Setup
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you have a legitimate PM license then yes, it's well worth it.

Bob

• 8. Re: Help with Setup

The trail is free for 30 days. you should use that time to try to learn the new features and make sure the program is going to work for you. I'd be surprised if it didn't, but there is a lot that will be unfamiliar with that big a jump.