2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2012 9:14 AM by rainbucket

Restart paragraph numbering each spread

rainbucket

How do I restart paragraph numbering after each spread?

I'm working on a catalog where the items in a spread are marked with a letter, and the images of those items are marked with the same letter.  This way the reader can see which image belongs with which listing.  For example:

A: Widget

This is a nifty widget!

418.701A   $5.99

(anchored image of a widget)

A

B: Thingamajig

Try our new thingamajig.  It's fantastic!

105.209X   $1,039.49

(anchored image of a thingamajig)

B

If paragraph numbering doesn't restart at all, the numbers get far too high, as we have thousands of listings in the catalog.  If numbering restarts after every higher-level section, we could have two paragraphs on the same spread with the same number, as sections can change within a spread.

• 1. Re: Restart paragraph numbering each spread
          Michael Gianino Level 4

Just to clarify, would you sometimes have A and B on one page, and A and B on the next consecutive page, but during the layout process, item A from the second page may be moved back, and need to become C on the first page, or possibly B from the first page is deleted and A from the following page moves back to become B? Is that what you're up against, and you want it to be automatic? I'm not sure I have a solution just now, but I want to be sure I understand you.

• 2. Re: Restart paragraph numbering each spread
            rainbucket Level 1

Absolutely right.  Each spread will have paragraphs "numbered" A, B, C, etc.  If, during layout work, an A paragraph moves back to the previous spread, it gets renumbered as C or D or whatever comes next.  If a paragraph moves forwards to the next spread, it gets renumbered as A, and the remainder of the paragraphs on the page get renumbered starting from B.