• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting from RH 8 to 9

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2012 Feb 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very large RH project that was in version 8. I was not able to convert it to RH9 but a co-worker could. I then opened the version in RH9 and all my TOC links are broken. When I try to relink, it can't find the files, yet when I try to import them I get a message about overwriting them. What is going on?

I am sorry that I ever upgraded to RH9.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where's the project located?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diane

While I'm sure you are sorry you upgraded, I can attest there are many that have no issues with upgrading. I'm one of them. I guess I'm just fortunate.

Did you encounter any messages that hinted at errors during the process?

Depending on what's going on, sometimes RoboHelp can lose track of one or more files. It's not that they are actually deleted, but for some reason the tracking gets messed up. That's what Jeff was hinting at when he asked where your project is located. One of the known issues for this happening is that your project is actually on a network drive. And when that is the case, because of something called "latency" (meaning a delay) RoboHelp can lose track of things and corruption creeps in.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2012 Feb 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm coming at it from a different position than Jeff and Rick.

RoboHelp 8 had a problem where topics were lost from Project Manager. It was fixed with the 802 patch.

Did you have that patch applied? If not, it maybe that RoboHelp 9 revealed what would have happened anyway.

I know it doesn't make much sense that your colleague could update and you couldn't but worth a thought if this is not a network project problem.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file is located on my c drive in the Robohelp project file.

Version 8 had the patch applied.

The error message that I got when trying to upgrade the files from 8 to 9 (from within 9) looked like a memory error.

The instruction at blah blah referenced memory at blah blah. The memory could not be read. Click ok to terminate the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now we have something to hang a hat on. That message is often seen when output files are imported into the source and not cleaned up.

So are you absolutely sure you are trying to upgrade the same version of the same project?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL, are you sure you haven't been reading Bob Loblaw's Law Blog again?

lawblog.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp