5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2012 4:30 PM by Joel Cherney

Trial

bwasileski

I know this is a newbie question....however.

I dowloaded the InDesign trial software  in hopes of converting some books written in word , as a trial run before buying, and have had zero success. I've read about importing MS Word but I don't even see a hint that the software imports anything but xml. XML is the only option. Given that, I converted a word document to XML and it did grind away for few seconds without complaint but then the result was blank. What is going on with this software? I find it completely unintuitive. Not even the "online help" seems to be helpful. What's missing with this trial? Do I need something else?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Trial
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

InDesign, and Adobe in general, sometimes uses special terms for things, and for importing content like Word docs the term is "Place." Unfortunatley, if you don't already know the correct term, using Help can be a bust.

Placing Word files is actually pretty easy and straightforward. File > Place... choose the document, and set your options, say OK and click in your ID doc. Hold Shift and the whole word file will flow in. I recommend Sandee Cohen's Visual QuickStart Guide as a good begginer text, and of course there are the help files. There's a table of contents on the left that should include a topic like Working With Text.

• 2. Re: Trial
            bwasileski Level 1

Marvelous. I would have never guessed. I've been working as a software

developer for over 20 years and work, across the board is "import".

Thanks for the hint. My mother will be very happy.

-Bryan

• 3. Re: Trial
              bwasileski Level 1

Thanks for the hint on the book too! Very helpful.

• 4. Re: Trial
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Please turn off the autoquote and delete any personal info when replying by email. All responses are posted to the web.

• 5. Re: Trial
                  Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  Marvelous. I would have never guessed. I've been working as a software

developer for over 20 years and work, across the board is "import".

Welcome to the world of print, where we use words coined hundreds of years ago to refer to filetypes specced out twenty years ago.

This terminology (to "place" a document) is actually a survival from Aldus PageMaker; somebody at Aldus must have called it sometime in the mid-eighties.