8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2012 10:00 PM by Orpheus22

AVCHD files and Audio Transitions bring new rig to a stutter

Orpheus22

Ok, so I finally built a new computer.  I have my drives set up like recommened here (3 drives, worflow spread out).  I throw some AVCHD .mov canon files into premiere.  I am using the DSLR settings.  The files are from two different cameras and so some shots have to be downrezed to 720 from 1080, but the other camera was at 1080.  The files play fine and I can scrub fine.  I can cut them together quite nicely.  Then I put on 3 audio transitions and everything starts to stutter.  I have an i7 2600k, 16 gigs of ram.

Now, I am prepared to use Neocene to convert my files if I have to (their download page doesn't seem to be working right now though.)  I just thought CS 5.5 and a i7 2600k with lots of ram could power through the footage--I guess I'm wrong. 

I don't mind converting, but at the moment the download page doesn't work for me.

http://gopro.com/3d-cineform-studio-software-download/

Can anyone else verify?  I e-mailed support so hopefully I will have an answer tomorrow.

Just wondering about my new rig though.  I am really happy with it, except AVCHD still seems to be a bear.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: AVCHD files and Audio Transitions bring new rig to a stutter
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I throw some AVCHD .mov

As a side note, the AVCHD spec is very specific about how the files are to be stored, and MOV is not an option.  So if they're MOV files, they're not AVCHD.

They may well be H.264 files, but H.264 covers a wide variety of encoding parameters.  Only a very specific subset can be called AVCHD, and not all of them which aren't AVCHD will work with Premiere Pro.

Having said that, I would expect these files to work fine.  Look to solve the issue rather than convert.

Is it only these files you have issues with?  Do other media clips from the same cameras work?  What about other kinds of media from different cameras?  Have you tried these clips in a different sequence?  How about a different project?  Have you tried the trick of changing the extension from .mov to .mpg?

• 2. Re: AVCHD files and Audio Transitions bring new rig to a stutter
            Orpheus22 Level 1

They are .mov files from a Canon T3i and Canon 60D.  So they are not AVCHD? Ok, I must need to read more.  Anyways, I selected the DSLR project settings in Premiere Pro CS 5.5.  This being my first time ever having editing such files, I didn't copy the entire folder from the card, and therefore probably not the "entire file structure."  Hopefully this will not cause problems as it is the only copy of the work that I have.

Be aware that I am mixing footage from the two cameras: the t3i shot in 720 60fps, and the 60D shot in 1080 24 fps< -- could this fact be causing that much slowdown?

I don't actually own these cameras and don't have any footage to really test much out with.  I suppose I could try other project settings, but DSLR seems like the right one unless someone has another suggestion.

If it matters, I am only using the trial version of the software.

P.S.  I could throw clips from both cameras onto the timeline and play back very easily, and even scrub without any slowdown.  Once I put in the transitions, it's starts stuttering imediately.

• 3. Re: AVCHD files and Audio Transitions bring new rig to a stutter
              Jim_Simon Level 8

I didn't copy the entire folder from the card, and therefore probably not the "entire file structure."  Hopefully this will not cause problems

It might.

I am mixing footage from the two cameras: the t3i shot in 720 60fps, and the 60D shot in 1080 24 fps< -- could this fact be causing that much slowdown?

I don't know but...I'd be inclined not to do that myself.  Ideally you want everything for a project at the same resolution and frame rate.

• 4. Re: AVCHD files and Audio Transitions bring new rig to a stutter
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Cineform Studio only converts mp4 to CF-files. Its designed for the Gopro camera.

Your camera produces H.264 in a mov wrapper (which is not AVCHD. AVCHD has .mts or m2ts extention)

If you want to use Cineform you need to buy Cineform NeoScene

http://cineform.com/products/neoscene/#overview

• 5. Re: AVCHD files and Audio Transitions bring new rig to a stutter
                  Orpheus22 Level 1

I have just downloaded the GoPro Cineform Studio (which is free) and I am going to try that.  I will also just be downconverting within Cineform Studio so my footage from both cameras will be the same.  Although, I am wondering why people say Adobe is so great at just accepting and mixing any format on the same timeline, but then Jim says that it wouldn't be a good idea?

• 6. Re: AVCHD files and Audio Transitions bring new rig to a stutter
                    Orpheus22 Level 1

Ok here is an update, and basically a new problem.  I used the Gopro CIneform Studio to convert all my footage.  And I converted the 1080 24p to 720 60p in the software.  This seemed fine at first.  I decided to do another test and just throw a bunch of clips on the timeline randomly, and throw in a bunch of audio transitions.  Now my AVI files play back too fast, almost as if being fast forwarded.  Also, my mov files are doing the same.  Then I went back and did yet another test by trying just the mov files in a project and threw a bunch of audio transitions in.  The computer seemed to handle it well intitially.

Even when I go directly to the Hard drive and selecte the footage to be played in windows media player, the footage was still playing too fast.

I have invested a lot of money in this new computer, and although I haven't bought the software yet (trial version), I was really hoping it would solve my problems with these .mov files from Canon's DSLRs.  I'm getting rather frustrated that I simply can't put together anything that works for one reason or another.

Are there any suggestions anyone has with working with these files?  Should I cut together the footage on separate timelines?  Should I not convert the footage?  What can I do?

Thank you again to anyone who as advice for me!

P.S.  Are my project settings wrong?  I am sure using DSLR settings is right for the .mov files, but should I be using HDV 720 60fps for my converted avi files?  Can anyone direct me to a workflow link on these canon .mov files in cs 5.5?

• 7. Re: AVCHD files and Audio Transitions bring new rig to a stutter
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Have youn installed the most recent updates? The Premiere Pro CS5.5 (5.5.1) update included fixes for improved performance with DSLR footage, including fixes specifically for footage from Canon cameras.

• 8. Re: AVCHD files and Audio Transitions bring new rig to a stutter
                        Orpheus22 Level 1

I figured that by downloading the trial so recently, it would be up to date.  Now that you point it out though, it might not be.  I did not update it after downloading.

I am working on my project now after hopefully finding the right project settings.  I finally figured out that I just needed to skip the settings dialog box intially, and then import some footage and drag it to the new sequence icon to make the sequence the exact settings of the file.  It turns out that it is using the AVCHD settings, which  I thought was wrong for my footage.  Unforunately, I am still using footage of two different frame rates (and resolutions to top it off).  I have been a little more patient and as long as I scrub through sections of the footage first, it plays just fine.  Only with my linked After Effects comps does it slow down quite a bit, which is understandable.

Can you confirm that using AVCHD project preset settings is fine with canon DSLR footage? Why wouldn't it default to the DSLR presets?