9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2012 2:51 PM by Dave LaRonde

Mac OS X: Can you keyframe the 'entire' "Effect" 'on' or 'opacity'?

Pharther Phurther Level 1

All there paramenters are there .. but what about the whole effect?

I don't see a keyframe 'diamond' where it should be ..

I don't see why I should be forced into having the entire effect on .. when logically I should be able to turn it on or fade it in.

The 'dumb' way is to duplicate the clip and fade the opacity on top of the Linked Composition.

Any other suggestions?

• 1. Re: Mac OS X: Can you keyframe the 'entire' "Effect" 'on' or 'opacity'?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I don't see why I should be forced into having the entire effect on .. when logically I should be able to turn it on or fade it in.

Why is that in any way logical? Depending on what an effect actually does, different parameters cause it to process certain pixels. Blindly setting those to arbitrary values could have any number of inadvertent side effects. E.g. what were to happen if on a threshold-based effect you change the threshold because you change the opacity of the source pixels? It would completely whack out. What you describe is for all intents and purposes merely animating post-effects opacity rather than animating any effects parameters and yes, that may require duplicates and pre-composing. Many times you can also use other effects like Blend, CC Composite, Channel Mixer etc., though. And some effects already have a "Blend with Original" option that can be animated, so realyl, you'rte making a fuss over nothing. Where this option isn't present, it probably doesn't make too much sense in teh first place...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Mac OS X: Can you keyframe the 'entire' "Effect" 'on' or 'opacity'?

Mylenium .. thanks for your reply ..

Logical sense is the ability to turn on or off ( 0-100%) the 'effect layer' .. for lack of a better term .. just as the opacity of any other layer .. since the 'efffect layer' seems to function just like any other layer in AE.

Yes .. of course .. there are many different parameters that are 'keyframeable' .. and by no means do I suggest that these values be "abitrary".

All I am asking for is the ability to fade in / out / on / off the entire effect in the same way every other layer feature is controlled .. via Keyframes.

In my projects .. I have many small clips that I would like to send from PP via a Dynamic Link to AE ..

Afetr they return from AE back into PP they are noticibley abrupt in the frame sequence .. so my solution is to fade into the LInked Composition .. being the only way is to duplicate the clip and fade the AE DL composition with opacity. This is a tedious way of accomplicing a simple effect.

I am a 'newbie' and is seems that my approach to the Master Suite follows a fresh discovery .. and I am only mentioning this because it seems to be in the direction of a proper workflow.

Others whom been enrapped in the software for years may not have the experience of learning what is not following the multi-app protocols that are established in one application .. but extinct in another.

Followup: ( It was a question: )  Can one fade in - out  - on - off ( 0 - 100% ) a "Effect" Layer using Keyframes?

Other layers have this ability .. why doesnt the effects layer?

• 3. Re: Mac OS X: Can you keyframe the 'entire' "Effect" 'on' or 'opacity'?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Pharther Phurther wrote:

Can one fade in - out  - on - off ( 0 - 100% ) a "Effect" Layer using Keyframes?

Other layers have this ability .. why doesnt the effects layer?

Do you mean "Adjustment Layer" when you write "Effect Layer"?  It's easy:  animate the adjustment layer's opacity.  Done.

If you mean something else, you'll have to explain yourself.  Small words are good.  Don't assume you're familiar with the arcane AE Lexicon.

• 4. Re: Mac OS X: Can you keyframe the 'entire' "Effect" 'on' or 'opacity'?
                Navarro Parker Level 3

You can also use the CC Composite effect to achieve what you want. It'll "fade" the effects above it in the Effects Palette

• 5. Re: Mac OS X: Can you keyframe the 'entire' "Effect" 'on' or 'opacity'?

Dave .. thanks for your response!

I have no Adjustment layer.

The clip is Dynamically Linked from Premiere Pro ... and under the source name in the Timeline is "Masks" "Effects" "Transform" "Audio".

As far as I can tell .. it is not a "Adjustment Layer".

I will experiment with them .. but for now all I am using is Warp Stabilizer and Cartoon ( Cartoon is the effect I am trying to fade in - out )

Thanks again for your comments.

• 6. Re: Mac OS X: Can you keyframe the 'entire' "Effect" 'on' or 'opacity'?

Navarro,

Thanks .. It seems to do what you mention .. but I am getting an awful blur because the Warp Stabilizer.

The Adjustment Layer seems to work fine so far .. still encoding and looking for artifacts.

Thanks for everyones help.

• 7. Re: Mac OS X: Can you keyframe the 'entire' "Effect" 'on' or 'opacity'?
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

From the reports I've read here and on other forums, Warp Stabilizer doesn't play nice with other effects.  It seems that it's best to use Warp Stabilizer, then prerender for further AE use.

• 8. Re: Mac OS X: Can you keyframe the 'entire' "Effect" 'on' or 'opacity'?

Of all the 'effects' I needed .. and the whole reason I bought everything was for stabilization.

What a headache!

Also ... upon returning to PP from AE after the clip was saved .. It is taking several min. for PP to 'accept the change'  .. plus .. there is still on 1/2 of my 12 core processors working .. then after 5 min. all 12 render the clip from AE.

The "Estimated Time Left" said 18 min .. from 1326 frames .. but is never accurate.

I will have to time it to see if there is any pattern to it.

I dont mind if I see the processors active .. only when they are not.

The adjustment layer seemed to work after rendering.

Thanks again.

• 9. Re: Mac OS X: Can you keyframe the 'entire' "Effect" 'on' or 'opacity'?
                          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Pharther Phurther wrote:

Of all the 'effects' I needed .. and the whole reason I bought everything was for stabilization.

What a headache!

Also ... upon returning to PP from AE after the clip was saved .. It is taking several min. for PP to 'accept the change'  .. plus .. there is still on 1/2 of my 12 core processors working .. then after 5 min. all 12 render the clip from AE.

Well, yeah: take a gander at the size of your AE project file... it's gigantic!  That's where AE stores Warp Stabilizer information!  Duplicate the AE project file, remove Warp Stabilizer, resave and look what happens.

Some effects & animation aren't very processor intensive, so the cores will just loaf along as they multiprocess.

And if you're trying to use all 12 cores for AE, your memory and processor allocations are all screwed up.  You need to look at Todd Kopriva's blog on AE CS5 & 5.5 concerning this topic.  I don't have immediate access to the link.  Sorry.