36 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2013 7:32 AM by smithpr

Need Help With Distiller

rhondagray Level 1

We just upgraded our computers to Win 7 and Acrobate upgraded to ProX. We are using Indesign CS5. Since the upgrade I can't print to a distiller. I seem to have lost my ppds. Priting to a ps file and distilling to pdf is a requirement for printing our newspaper. Any ideas how to fix this?

• 1. Re: Need Help With Distiller
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You say distilled PDF is a "requirement." Why is this? have you tried using an exported PDF? Exporting is the recommended workflow.

• 2. Re: Need Help With Distiller
            Grant H Level 4

so if you goto file>print>select printer there is no postscript option

G

• 3. Re: Need Help With Distiller
              rhondagray Level 1

When I got to print, there is a postscript printer but the ppd has device independent. Normally it has Distiller

• 4. Re: Need Help With Distiller
                Grant H Level 4

select device independent...

• 5. Re: Need Help With Distiller
                  rhondagray Level 1

when I select devide independent everything grays out. I can't paper, size, anything

• 6. Re: Need Help With Distiller
                    rhondagray Level 1

I can't (select)

• 7. Re: Need Help With Distiller
                      Grant H Level 4

then choose acrobat 8 or 9

• 8. Re: Need Help With Distiller
                        Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Rhoda – I can't tell for Windows 7, 'cause I'm on Mac OSX, but we on Mac OSX had similar issues.

I'm not sure at all, but what you can try is going to the program directory where InDesign CS5 is located and if you detect a sub-directory named "Presets" you could generate a new sub-directory inside "Presets" named "PPDs". Move your Distiller-PPD (something like ADPDF9.PPD) to that sub-directory and try access it through your print dialog in InDesign.

Beware: this all is "Mac-wisdom" so it might be totally wrong for Windows-7 users…

Uwe

• 9. Re: Need Help With Distiller
                          rhondagray Level 1

I will try that. Thanks

• 10. Re: Need Help With Distiller
                            rhondagray Level 1

Acrobat 9 PDF is there. Now how do I get Acrobat 9 Distiller to show up?

• 11. Re: Need Help With Distiller
                              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Threads like this really make me angry. It’s 2012 for crying out loud.

This type of workflow is totally archaic. Find out WHY you need to do this.

Even the Luddites out there should be able to take a PDF/X-1a file exported from InDesign.

Still stuck with this nonsense? The choose file print and select Adobe PDF.

That is the same as postscript to distiller.

Bob

• 12. Re: Need Help With Distiller
                                Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Having read this thread, a few thoughts:

(1)     There is no parallel between what happens with MacOS and WIndows with regard to the ability to print to the Adobe PDF PostScript printer driver instance to produce PDF via distillation of PostScript. Changes in the MacOS eliminated the ability of Adobe to provide that functionality in that manner.

(2)     The original poster stated that they just upgraded our computers to Win 7 and Acrobate upgraded to ProX. Although one could conceivably do in place upgrades of Windows, such upgrades are often very, very problematic. We would recommend that for upgrades to a new operating system version of Windows, you back up all data and digital assets such as fonts, reformat your disk, install the new version of Windows, reinstall all applications, and then restore all data and assets from the backups. In this stage, you would have installed Acrobat X Pro (and the subsequent updates) in lieu of earlier Acrobat versions. You would have also reinstalled InDesign 7 (CS5). At this point, you should have no problem creating PDF by printing to the Adobe PDF PostScript printer driver instance. There would be no reason to muck around with any PPD files or whatever. Adobe PDF is automatically associated with the Acrobat X PPD. No other PPD should be used for this purpose!

(3)     We at Adobe thoroughly endorse the sentiments of Bob Levine and Peter Spier in terms of the merits of direct export of PDF from InDesign versus creation of PDF via distillation of PostScript. As we have explained numerous times on these forums, the PostScript generated by InDesign is optimized strictly for PostScript printing and absolutely not for PDF generation. Direct export PDF involves no intermediate PostScript and better suits the needs of PDF workflows. Typically, any publications or print service providers who set requirements against directly-exported PDF from InDesign (or directly-saved PDF from Illustrator or Photoshop) have no real factual basis for such requirements and are displaying serious deficiencies in their knowledge of modern-day workflows.

- Dov

• 13. Re: Need Help With Distiller
                                  Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Rhonda – Distiller is a program that comes along with Acrobat Pro (in your case Acrobat Pro X). It should be installed along with Acrobat Pro X. Look after it in the program directory under your "Adobe Acrobat X Pro" directory. It should be there (at least it is on my Mac OSX).

Or: open Acrobat X Pro, go to (I'm on a German version, so the names could be a bit different):

"View" / "Tools" / "Print Production" / "Acrobat Distiller"

@Bob – I'm with you, but I will not question the need of Rhonda, who says: "distilling to pdf is a requirement for printing our newspaper".

@Rhonda: could you explain a bit more about your workflow? How and why?

Uwe

• 14. Re: Need Help With Distiller
                                    rhondagray Level 1

When we exprt to pdf our grayscale pages are changed to RGB. When we print to pdf instead of distilling, the files are large, and the ink manager does not let us select the "change all spot color to process" (when we have color pages). Color pages have to print to true CMYK and black and white pages grayscale not RGB. I know we can print to pdf and select the grayscale option, I have been able to make that work. However, the color issue I have not been able to resolve.

• 15. Re: Need Help With Distiller
                                      Stix Hart Level 5

Typically, any publications or print service providers who set requirements against directly-exported PDF from InDesign (or directly-saved PDF from Illustrator or Photoshop) have no real factual basis for such requirements and are displaying serious deficiencies in their knowledge of modern-day workflows.

- Dov

I am so going to give the next newspaper that asks me for a distilled ad a link to this statement!

• 16. Re: Need Help With Distiller

(1)     There is no native grayscale in InDesign, only grayscale in placed images, EPS, or PDF content. Unless you are doing something wrong in terms of your document and/or export settings, grayscale should export as either CMYK (0,0,0,K) or separation black which is the same as CMYK (0,0,0,K).

(2)     If you have have gray images that are really R=G=B, then obviously you might have some real problems later in your workflow. Such imagery should be converted to true grayscale in Photoshop before being placed into InDesign.

(3)     If you properly set the export settings, the transparency flattening color space, etc. you should not see RGB if you don't have content that is originally RGB. And if you choose the correct settings, all RGB content would be converted on PDF export.

(4)     I have not seen any problems with the Ink Manager's change all spot color to process. Where are the spot colors defined? In placed content? Or in the document itself?

- Dov

• 17. Re: Need Help With Distiller

Be my guest. You may also give them my e-mail address isaacs@adobe.com .... 

- Dov

• 18. Re: Need Help With Distiller

rhondagray wrote:

When we exprt to pdf our grayscale pages are changed to RGB. When we print to pdf instead of distilling, the files are large, and the ink manager does not let us select the "change all spot color to process" (when we have color pages). Color pages have to print to true CMYK and black and white pages grayscale not RGB. I know we can print to pdf and select the grayscale option, I have been able to make that work. However, the color issue I have not been able to resolve.

If you are getting grayscale to RGB conversions, you have the wrong destination color space selected. You should be using either the currnt CMYK working space as the destination, or leaving colors unchanged. What you cannot do with an export  currently is CONVERT a page to a grayscale profile. If you have color on the page and you are trying to get composite gray you should really change your workflow, but yest, printing to PDF will allow you to do grayscale conversion of color pages.

For what it's worth, I have no trouble invoking the ink manager in the print dialog and converting all spots to process with Windows 7. You can try trashing your prefs, but I suspect your installation was damaged, given all the problems you are having, and you probably need to reinstall. You can also use the ink manager from the Swatches panel before you print, and it is also accesible from the output section of the export dialog.

• 19. Re: Need Help With Distiller
                                              barath.tamas

I have this issue with distiller:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47283304/Screen%20Shot%202013-03-18%20at%202.34.48%20PM.png

When I distill the PS Adobe Distiller crops up the size.

A look around, but a I cant find the setting

for that. Someone can help pe?

• 20. Re: Need Help With Distiller

You need to open Distiller and edit the page size you have selected.

But using Distiller is pretty archaic. Why not export?

• 21. Re: Need Help With Distiller

Second Peter's comment.

Distiller is 20th century technology. There is near zero reason to be

using it today.

Bob

• 22. Re: Need Help With Distiller
                                                    Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

barath.tamas wrote:

I have this issue with distiller:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47283304/Screen%20Shot%202013-03-18%20at%202.34.48%20PM.png

When I distill the PS Adobe Distiller crops up the size.

A look around, but a I cant find the setting

for that. Someone can help pe?

Use the Export PDF (Print) command, less possibilities to do something wrong than with the print dialog.

If you need to print use the Adobe PDF as described above. I suppose you selected a wrong ppd.

• 23. Re: Need Help With Distiller
                                                      barath.tamas Level 1

When I export the pdf is the file bigger then when I use the Distill prozess.

During the prozess I can outline the fonts etc...

• 24. Re: Need Help With Distiller

Size should not be an issue for printing files.

Outlining fonts? Why do you need to do it, when you embedd all fonts? BTW. for outlining is no difference between Distiller and Export.

If you need pdfs in small size for e-mail and web use export pdf interactive instead.

• 25. Re: Need Help With Distiller
                                                          Ellen705

Dov, I am not sure I understand this: "the PostScript generated by InDesign is optimized strictly for PostScript printing and absolutely not for PDF generation" ...

Just piping in here, as we are setting up our print workflow on new Windows 7 workstations, not just upgrades, new computers, while also going from CS4 to CS6. 

At the risk of initiating verbal abuse from people who do it differently, the reason we set up a single distilling target on our internal network to begin with was so all the files generated from different workstations would be consistent. We use the Distiller "watched folders" method.

Final pages have specific naming conventions that differ from the nomenclature used internally (numeric codes required by the printer, inside-baseball titles required by the editors), and most certainly specific color profiles.

If the page has any RGB we get a call-back and may get charged a fee for correction. We get a call back if there's color in grays or blacks, as we pay more to print color pages than we do for black and white. There are density limits on CMYK.

The specific page sizes, and sizes of individual ad pdfs within the pages, are very precise, as they obviously would be. Acrobat already rounds the dimensions when viewing. #annoying

Every PDF we need to create a single print issue gets placed in the same network folder, accessible by all. We have the printer codes on the master template pasteboards to make it easy to remember what they are... and so updated pages or ads get saved over the ones that need correction, with exactly the same name in exactly the same place. 

We are not fascists about people's personal workstations, so some rogues may indeed have anomalous preferences out there. But as I said, the final result has to be consistent. 

We put no restrictions on files we get from clients, but we redistill them, to make sure they meet our profiles and settings. (I am sure someone's head just exploded reading that.) 

You don't undo 15+ years of a foolproof workflow overnight!

But maybe we can change. I am open to it. My IT guy even pointed me to this discussion and said, hey, can we do it this way?

I do in fact use the Export to PDF or Print to PDF -- ALL THE TIME -- for files that aren't going to the printer.

But meanwhile, to go back to the original question: I chose to Add a Local Printer in Devices and Printers, choosing FILE: Print to File, and using the Adobe PDF Converter as the printer.

In InDesign, the Printer is PostScript File, PPD is Adobe PDF. And I am still updating my Print Presets.

We haven't fully implemented the new machines... there's still time to tell me how to do this better! Whaddya all think?

• 26. Re: Need Help With Distiller

Export to PDF is the recommended method for PDF production. Use the PDF/X-4 setting and any modern print shop should be able to handle your files.

BTW, you say you're using a watched folder for everyone on a network machine? If so, that sounds like it could be an EULA violation.

What this all comes down to is that it's time to talk to your printer about moving past a 15 year old workflow that is quite archaic. If they won't or can't, it might be time to look elsewhere.

Bob

• 27. Re: Need Help With Distiller
                                                              Ellen705 Level 1

EEK, what's EULA? Are watched folders obsolete now too? Sorry for not keeping up, I have a day job ;p 

I am open to trying the export, which is evidently not printing, Control E instead of Control P. Could take some getting used to!   

• 28. Re: Need Help With Distiller

EULA: End User License Agreement.

For Acrobat, last I checked (admittedly a long long time ago) using a

network machine to distill postscript files dumped into a watched folder

violates that agreement.

And yes, given that postscript and distilling are archaic, you can

pretty much add watched folders to do that work, as archaic as well.

Welcome to the 21st century, it's nice to have you here.

Bob

• 29. Re: Need Help With Distiller
                                                                  Ellen705 Level 1

Hmm. The machine is attached to the network, but it's another workstation not a network server. All our machines are attached to the network. This one just has distiller open all the time, watching the folders for the rest of us. We could distill locally, but some of the files get so big and it was nice to be able to move on to something else while the everything queued in the IN folder...

Alas.

I think Print to PDF may work better for us than Export to PDF, as the precise page size is so important, and we print pages at so many sizes (modular ads in multiple-sized magazines, for instance). We'd have to set up so many presets, instead of specific widths and (auto) depths. And I can't see how you can adjust for page sizes there. I think someone mentioned this above, too. Thoughts? 

• 30. Re: Need Help With Distiller

Any remote computer in a network is recognized as server for the other computers.

According to the EULA anyone who uses the remote computer to distill a pdf must have a licensed Acrobat with Distiller on his computer plus the remote computer must have an additional license. So if everyone has a complete license installed and the server has an additional license I don't see any problem.

BUT I think that producing PDFs via Print, PostScript and Distiller ist not the best way to create them from InDesign, Illustrator or Photoshop. Exporting or Saving from these programs is better for reasons mentioned above. So I would strongly recommend to create PDFs for Print (and also for other purposes) via Export. I don't see any problem with the page size you mentioned. The page size in the PDF will be exactly the same as the page size from InDesign plus bleed and info and whatever you include on your page.

Willi Adelberger

• 31. Re: Need Help With Distiller
                                                                      Ellen705 Level 1

Yay, we are all licensed up. So no worries there. But we won't be doing it anymore.

As Winston Churchill said, "There is nothing wrong with change, if it is in the right direction."

Thanks for not mocking me

• 32. Re: Need Help With Distiller
                                                                        Frans van der Geest Adobe Community Professional

Well, one thing that we still, twice a year, use printing to postscript and distilling for: creating a different special resized version for a book! You can set scale in the ps setting, you still can not in PDF export!

• 33. Re: Need Help With Distiller
                                                                          smithpr

We still use the postscript/distiller method for simple imposition.  For example, if I want to quickly make something 2-up and create a pdf, then I duplicate the page in the pages panel, choose file > print booklet, and create the pdf via postscript file/distiller.  This method is convenient because I can impose and create the pdf in one fell swoop, but also because it gives me precise control over the page size (in case I need to add/adjust for gripper margin, etc.).  Is there a way to duplicate this process using file > export in as few steps as the distiller method?  I've accidentally deleted my Adobe pdf printer and can't figure out how to restore it.  All of the instructions I've found on that topic so far have either pertained only to Windows users or have suggested selecting "repair installation" under the help menu, but that option doesn't appear under my help menu.  Using Acrobat X on Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard.  Many thanks to anyone taking the time to read this.

• 34. Re: Need Help With Distiller

I'd look at IDImposer, I think. It's currently free...

Overview | IDImposer

• 35. Re: Need Help With Distiller
                                                                              smithpr Level 1

Ok, thank you for the tip!

• 36. Re: Need Help With Distiller
                                                                                smithpr Level 1

Thanks again Peter!  I downloaded IDImposer (which was indeed still free), and it solved my simple imposition issue and provided all of the functionality (and more) that I've missed since the InBooklet plugin for CS2.