12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2012 10:11 PM by LouWrench

How do I unlock my files for another user?

LouWrench Level 1

I have a problem with my screen display, (what is 10% grey or lighter looks white) and calibrating the monitor does not help! There is a corruption on my main user's profile I think?

I have made a new User (the new me), and I want to give it access to all the existing files and folders, Is this a one at a time process, or can I command all user 'A' files are read and write by user 'B'

Alternatively how can I clean out my user 'A' monitor profiles (in system and user library) and replace them with new uncorrupt ones?

I know this is not purely a ID problem, but that is the program I use and you are the guys that realy know and understand the the problems.

As an aside can't you copy and paste between users?

Lou

• 1. Re: How do I unlock my files for another user?
          LouWrench Level 1

I know this is not ID problem, but where can I go for an answer, this is the only forum I am a part of

• 2. Re: How do I unlock my files for another user?
            The Macdoctor Level 2

I think this may be something other than a Profile issue. I saw something much like this a couple of years back and it was caused by a faulty video card. Replacing the video card fixed the problem immediately. Cross-check the monitor on another machine before you try a replacement card.

• 3. Re: How do I unlock my files for another user?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It's not clear what files you think are locked. Your ID files can be opened by any user, and yes, you can copy/paste from one user account to another.

• 4. Re: How do I unlock my files for another user?
                LouWrench Level 1

I was having a problem with my iMac, in as much as all the lighter tones were burnt out.

I took my Mac to the local agents (Cape Town, South Africa) they could not solve the problem, but created another user and used the the "iMac display" profile, and it looked good.

I started to to use the new user but all files from previous user are locked, and can be altered but not saved. I was trying to copy and paste from one user to another and nothing happened. (this includeded GREP commands)

I did not mention I have done an upgrade to Lion, and using CS5

I remember someone, waaay back, saying "don't upgrade to system 7, it is buggy" Can I revert to Snow Leopard?

• 5. Re: How do I unlock my files for another user?
                  Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I started to to use the new user but all files from previous user are locked, and can be altered but not saved

If I am reading you correctly, it's not that the files are "locked" but that they belong to your old user. If you say "locked" on the InDesign forum we assume you mean locked as in: when you open up a file as LouWrenchUser, then InDesign generates a lock file so that someone else logged into the same machine/server can't open it at the same time. What's going on here, I think, is that you're trying to work on files owned by your old user. You can change the "Ownership & Permissions" for any file if you Get Info on it. You can do the same with a large selection of files. Just award read & write privileges to your new user.

(You can also do it from Terminal, but I'm guessing that you don't want to be given suggestions that require using the command-line interface.) 

• 6. Re: How do I unlock my files for another user?

I'm not a mac guy, but it seems to me if a file is locked so a new user cannot save it after opeing, there's a serious problem on the machine. ID files are meant to be shared with collaborators and I've never seen one that denied that kind of permission out of hand.

• 7. Re: How do I unlock my files for another user?

I dunno... seems pretty obvious that if I have a number of people all logging into one computer, that user B shouldn't necessarily have read/write privs on user A's files. Read-only seems to make decent sense. I think that what's broken is the user privilege model promulgated by your OS vendor of choice. Maybe I am not remembering correctly but I think that there is a shared folder or public folder in every home directory for every user that allows you to drop files in, which then get awarded everyone-can-read-and-write privs. However, if you are using your default user created when you logged into your brand-new Mac for the first time (that has admin privs) to move your old files into your new user account (which probably doesn't have admin privs, given the default settings in OS X) then your new user would be trying to save over files written by the admin user. Which should not be possible, right?

Once again, I'm not sure - it's been quite some time since I either had an OS X machine that I shared with anyone else - I must have an admin account but I've not logged into it in years, since SL came out I suppose. So my memories of this are foggy, but I'm kinda-certain that what is going on here can be summed up as "read-only files."

• 8. Re: How do I unlock my files for another user?

I don't pretend to know how Mac handles this stuff, but people send files back and forth to other designers all the time (hence the all too common "I can't open the file -- it aasys I need to update my plugins" posts), so I don't buy that ID files are automatically resticted to the creator.

• 9. Re: How do I unlock my files for another user?

It's only when you have multiple users on the same filesystem on the same machine - If you do something like email files or upload to a server or move the files to a CDR or thumb drive then it doesn't happen. You may have experienced an analagous Windows circumstance at some point in the past when copying files from a CDR to your computer, and finding that the "Read Only" box was still checked.

Pretty much every desktop OS not from Redmond works this way, Peter - because most of 'em are Unixes of one flavor or another, and every *nix assumes multiple people logging into one machine simultaneously.

• 10. Re: How do I unlock my files for another user?

Lou, you can forestall listening to me and Peter bat this ideational badmitton birdie back and forth by going to one of your files that your new user can't edit and checking its Get Info pane to see who owns it and who can read it and write to it.

• 11. Re: How do I unlock my files for another user?

OK, Joel, I see what you are saying.

• 12. Re: How do I unlock my files for another user?
                                LouWrench Level 1

Hi Joel

you seem to understand my problem! When any file is created (on my iMac at least) in the Info file it has the Sharing & Permissions with me being able to Read & Write, but "everyone" being able to Read only.

I cannot get my screen to display properly (which is the real problem) on my user, so I created a new user called Admin and it displays fine. So I thought I could just work out of that new user. But every file is Read only. So I must find a way to make the thousands of files Read & Write.

Or fix the display setting in the old user!