15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2012 1:49 AM by Powered by Design

xdva codec missing

richpuch88

Hello,

I've already done research a few hours and tried to install codec packs (xvid, k-lite, divx) but nothing helped.

Hope you can help me quick cause I need the files tomorrow.

I use Windows 7, 64-bit.

Adobe Premiere CS5

I have some mov-files that I can't import into Premiere but I CAN view it with every player and also can import it into Avid Media Composer for example. Just Premiere says "Missng Codec".

A Codecviewer tells me that it is a XDVA Codec, which I think it is xdcam, right?

I also don't have the test version, although it was a test version until I have inserted my serial key.

Please help.

Thank you

• 1. Re: xdva codec missing
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Did you reformat your drive and did a fresh install of Windows and programs after the K-Lite disaster? If not, that is where you should start. All the other codecs are unwise to install as well, unless you are absolutely sure they are reliable, do not cause problems and you can't do without them. What you installed is not suitable for editing anyway, so you can do without them.

xvid and Divx can be played by VLC without installing the codecs and corrupting your system and they are only intended fro playback, not for editing. The only codecs that are safe to install are codecs like Lagarith and UT.

If you want to edit material, use footage as it was shot with a video camera and ingested. If you don't have that, then ask the copyright owner for his original material. That usually also means that you are not violating copyright laws and will guarantee that the editing will go a lot smoother, faster and give better quality.

• 2. Re: xdva codec missing
            richpuch88 Level 1

Hello, I do have the original files. A friend gave it to me to cut it.

Yes I did a fresh install of windows some weeks ago. So I should deinstall K-Lite and the other codec packs and try Lagarith / UT?

Hm... I just need a codec that works for premiere.

I can open the files with all other programs

• 3. Re: xdva codec missing
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Since you are on a PC, and my guess is that those files are coming from FCP/Mac, this THREAD might be useful.

There are three ways, in very general terms, that CODEC's work:

1. Used to Decode, and allow playback (largest sub-set)
              2. Used to Encode (smaller sub-set)
              3. Used to allow editing with both Decode and Encode (tiny sub-set and depends on the exact NLE program)

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: xdva codec missing
                richpuch88 Level 1

hm... the files don't come from a mac... they are the original camera files and haven't been edited.

Isn't there a simple way without converting etc. I have many many files and don't have time to convert them all.

Isn't there simply a codec I can install and it works?

I can post a test file in a few hours.

• 5. Re: xdva codec missing
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

From what camera?

• 6. Re: xdva codec missing
                    richpuch88 Level 1

I'm not sure which camera they have used but here's a link to a 19 seconds testfile:

http://www.4shared.com/video/5vrLwNkL/638_0111_01.html

Could you open it in Premiere?

I hope there's a quick solution without converting etc. to get the files into premiere (cause every other program can open the file. Just premiere says "codec is missing").

thank you a lot

• 7. Re: xdva codec missing
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

That is .MOV stuff and I don't use Apple crap if I can avoid it. What is the codec used within that MOV container?

• 8. Re: xdva codec missing
                        richpuch88 Level 1

my codecviewer says XDVA

• 9. Re: xdva codec missing
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

xdva needs to be converted to something editable first. It is presumably Xbox 360 material, not from a video camera. So either convert to something editable or use some consumer application. If this clip is typical of the quality you have with all your clips, I suggest you skip this altogether and not try to convert it to something else. It is not worth watching as it is, without the quality hit you will encounter when converting.

• 10. Re: xdva codec missing
                            richpuch88 Level 1

Avid also except it, fcp too.

So don't tell me that it's xbox-stuff. it's from a camera of our university. not the best, I guess, but also not bad

• 11. Re: xdva codec missing
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Which one for the second time?

If you can edit with AVID or FCP, do that.

• 12. Re: xdva codec missing
                                richpuch88 Level 1

No, I've already startet editing other files that came from another camera with Premiere.

I need to cut with Premiere.

Nobody have had the same problem and has a solution?

• 13. Re: xdva codec missing
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I do have the original files.

With this codec?  That seems unlikely.  Probably your friend used Final Cut Pro to 'convert' the camera originals in some fashion.

Try getting your hands on the actual originals.

• 14. Re: xdva codec missing
                                    Stephen_Spider Level 3

Is it Apple XDCAM EX?

from wikipedia:

"..JVC camcorders that use XDCAM EX recording format, are also capable of recording into QuickTime container besides using MP4 container.."

you might try changing the extension to.mp4 or .mpg

• 15. Re: xdva codec missing