1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 7, 2012 9:24 AM by SJRiegel

Linking and formatting in an employee directory

Marcy325

I am making an employee directory. I will format it like this:

NAME                                                         

TITLE                                                     

Job description Job description

Job description Job description                            PHOTOGRAPH

NAME                                                         

TITLE                                                     

Job description Job description                            PHOTOGRAPH

There will be two employees per page and a total of 27 pages printed front and back for 53 employees.

I don’t remember what you call it, but I want each photograph to move with its respective text so I can easily remove or add individuals in the future. I would like the name and title to be centered over the text and the text itself, left justified. Do each block of text and its photograph go in the same box or separate? If separate, how do I “link” them together?

• 1. Re: Linking and formatting in an employee directory
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would suggest making each employee entry as a separate table, with all the tables in one continuous story.

Picture 6.pngIn my example, the title is in a cell across the top (with a keep-with-next option on the cell), and placed into a two-column layout. This would be a running story for the whole 27 pages. That way, when you delete or add an employee, all the others would reflow effortlessly.

This looks like it would be a perfect candiate for data-merge, however. In that case, adding an employee would require re-generating the whole book, but it would be very quick -- add the data to the spreadsheet, export the tab-delimited or csv file, and go.

1 person found this helpful