7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2012 2:00 PM by grandill

Blur layering problem

grandill Level 1

Hello,

I've been doing some work on a project very similar to andrew kramer from videocopilot(54. Advanced Camera Tips) from his site. The problem shows up after I render the project. I put use the camera's depth of field to make some nice looks for the trapcode particular particles,and use some 3d simple text to be animated. After I render instead of showing only the particles blured out, the text and video or everything I put there shows up blury, I know it's because of the camera but why? Shouldn't the text be unaffected by the depth of field, or videos? Please help! This is what happen's.prob.jpgprob2.jpg

• 1. Re: Blur layering problem
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The text should definitely be affected by the blur. It's a 3d layer. If you follow the tutorial, I think he shows you how to keep the text from being blurred. I don't like it though. It's one of a few times when I disagree with Andrew Kramer. I think that having everything reacting to the camera's depth of field helps to sell the effect that what you're looking at is 3d. Just animate the focal distance of the camera to bring the text into focus. If the background isn't blurred enough when you do that, work with the camera settings to get a shallower depth of field.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Blur layering problem
            grandill Level 1

Still...why doesn't it render with the draft 3d on like it should to? Where does the blur come from if the setting is on?

• 3. Re: Blur layering problem
              dh91 Level 1

An alternative (assuming your text remains in the foreground) is to move your text over to a new composition, then copy the camera/null with their settings over to the text composition, and turn off the depth of field. Then drag the text composition over to the original comp

• 4. Re: Blur layering problem
                bogiesan Level 4

grandill wrote:

Still...why doesn't it render with the draft 3d on like it should to? Where does the blur come from if the setting is on?

That's not your original question. Draft settings are affected twice, or, thinking differently, there are draft render setting and there are draft viewing settings. The limitations, uses and presentations or appearnces  are quite different.

• 5. Re: Blur layering problem
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To build on what Bogiesan said, you may have the layer set to draft quality, but if your render settings are to render all the layers at best quality, it's not going to render as draft. You have to make sure to check that the layers should render at their current quality.

• 6. Re: Blur layering problem
                    Navarro Parker Level 3

Turning on Draft 3D will turn off DOF. (But it will be active in the final render)

• 7. Re: Blur layering problem
                      grandill Level 1

Sorry, I've been away for a while and I haven't been able to check to forums...so szalam, how can I check the rendering of the layers so they should be at their quality? I'm kinda confused..