6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2012 5:30 PM by noggin nocker

Audio Issue

noggin nocker

I have a video clip that I am trying to use. The problem is that it was filmed using the camera's (Canon Vixia HF G10) on board mic as well as a Sony ECM-AW3 wireless mic on the subject. The end result is the voices sound like they have an echo like being in a barrel.  I am using Premiere Elements 10 with Windows7 OS.  Is it possible to "fix" this issue with Premiere Elemtns 10?  Any advice is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Audio Issue
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, can you confirm (by playing the video on your TV directly from your camcorder, for instance) that this echo is really on your recording and not just some electronic feedback or something on your computer?

If it is truly on your recording, you've got a problem. You may have recorded through both your external microphone and your camcorder microphone at the same time.

Unfortunately, there is no fix for this. Not with any audio editor I know of. Sorry.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Audio Issue
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Removing an echo, or doppler, is almost impossible. That is usually casued by either the mic, mic'ing technique, or the envoronment. You might be able to sweeten the Audio a bit, but it will be trial and error.

How were the Audio Streams recorded, two 1-channel Streams, i.e. dual-mono, or do you have a total of 4-channels, two each per mic, in stereo?

I would rip the audio, or Export/Share it from PrE, and use an audio editing program to do that work. This ARTICLE gives some tips on cleaning up Audio, and there might be a few tips for what you need to do. I would look at a multi-band EQ Effect, and experiment.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Audio Issue
              noggin nocker Level 1

Stevve,

The echo is on the original recording through playing back on the camcorder itself as well as the TV. thanks for your reply.

Bill,

The streams are two 1 channel, I believe, not sure though.  I appreciate the link.

In the future, when recording near the camera with the wireless mic, any suggestions, I.E. mic settings, camera settings that may avoid this?

• 4. Re: Audio Issue
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It depends on what caused it, noggin. Any idea why it happened?

• 5. Re: Audio Issue
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, Audio recording, and production is basically a PhD program, with about and 8 year "residency," so one could likely begin a career as a neurosurgeon, in less time. Even with the great equipment available, there is so very much that one needs to consider, and have a real "bag-o-tricks" handy for.

Though I did several blocks of "audio" in film school, I always knew to defer to my "experts," when push came to shove. It is part science, quite a bit of art, and the rest is alchemy.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Audio Issue
                    noggin nocker Level 1

Steve/Hunt,

I know what happened. Its called " I don't know what I am doing"!!!!!  Put a SLR in my hands and I am at home. This is a whole new world for me however.

Hunt, You are right, I got alot of studying and learning to do and then some.  Seems like a good challenge though.  I do appreciate both of you taking the time to answer my questions.

thanks,  Jim