6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2012 11:32 AM by Kevin-Monahan

Creating a freeze frame?

mediafred Level 1

How do you create a freeze frame from a video clip?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Creating a freeze frame?
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Quickest way is to cut off the last frame of the clip.

Stretch this frame with the stretch tool to the desired length.

Right click on the extended frame. Check Frame Hold: set it to inpoint.

You can also export a frame. (little camera in the Source/Program Monitor).

Import this shot into Premiere and place it on the timeline.

Stretch to the desired length.

export frame.png

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Creating a freeze frame?
            mediafred Level 1

How can I reuse the frame later on? Is there a way to take that freeze frame and save it somewhere so I can easily access it later on?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Creating a freeze frame?
              editman21

Yes, you can. When you follow the instruction above, and create a frame hold clip, take that piece with the frame hold applied, and drag it back to the project pane that has all your clips in it.

• 4. Re: Creating a freeze frame?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

If you wish to reuse that "freeze Frame," then Export it as a Still Image, and use it over, and over. Because it is a Still Image, you can click+drag on its Tail, to extend the Duration, as is required.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Creating a freeze frame?
                  dpriess

Transitioning from FCP I'm really enjoying the Premiere experience but this is one of those features that may seem simple but really make a difference in the editing experience.  Why Adobe did not take the opportunity in CS6 to simplify this commonly used action is beyond me. 

I think the Export Frame option is excellent and great for saving images but not ideal for Frame Holds as you have to take the extra steps of importing. Not sure why the same concept is not used for the Hold action.  Whether your cursor is on the frame you want to hold in the Preview Window or the Sequence, select the Frame Hold option and the choice should be Current Frame.  Then that frame appears in the Preview window as a clip and is ready to put into the sequence.  Simple, clean and most important....fast.  No importing of Exported still images, no confusing, time consuming multi-step process of choosing In or Out Points or markers and then having to manipulate them in the sequence. Please Adobe, fix this!

Thanks!

• 6. Re: Creating a freeze frame?
                    Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

dpriess wrote:

Transitioning from FCP I'm really enjoying the Premiere experience but this is one of those features that may seem simple but really make a difference in the editing experience.

It appears to me that the FCP and Premiere Pro methods take about the same amount of steps for editing in a freeze frame. To be fair, FCP 7 and earlier doesn't even have frame holds.

Since you have suggestions for specific improvements, please make a feature request.

Why Adobe did not take the opportunity in CS6 to simplify this commonly used action is beyond me.

We improved a bunch of things for Premiere Pro CS6. While our engineers are talented, they are human beings with only a certain amount of time to implement new features. I hope you understand.

Feature requests: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish