4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2012 12:19 PM by Daniel_Peterson

Breakout to Mono > Offline project > Relink media

TradeWind Level 3

Just discovered this on a project for the first time, would like to know if anyone else has ever experienced this and if there is a solution.

I have a client project that went offline, and the client has just requested a Blu-ray copy of the video (we only produced DVD before). No problem, I open the project up in PPro CS5, relink the assets (mix of WAV audio files and AVCHD video files) and then get ready to transcode in Encore via Dynamic Link.

However, checking the timeline, all the audio is playing back from the wrong channel. In most cases, the audio was recorded on the camera as channel1=onboard camera microphone and channel2=house feed. So naturally all my edits used channel 2 90% of the time (when the speaker was talking) and I would cut in channel2 when there was applause or laughter from the audience.

To accomplish this, I typically breakout to mono on the original video clips at the start of my edits. I then place each mono audio track in the timeilne (on it's own separate track) and edit away.

However, in this project, after relinking all of the offline assets, it now shows each of the broken out audio tracks in the project bin as full A/V clips with stereo sound, and the edits in the timeline have the wrong audio. Somehow, during relinking, PPro screwed up the offline audio.

Now something to be aware of....I never purposely "offlined" this project. I just closed the project when I was done with it months ago and moved the assets offline on the hard drive. PPro CS5 was not actively aware of any of this. When I opened the project again today, the "find asset" dialog opened as usual, I selected the first clip and it did all the rest automagically. So I did not directly relink the broken out mono clips back to the original video clip (which, while it could cause some programming confusion, should still work, since the asset in the bin would be looking only for left/right audio and nothing more).

At any rate, I've now essentially got to start over editing 2 sequences that are 1+ hour each so I'm very excited. All I want to know at this point is if this is something that is a known issue and if there is an immediate solution that anyone is aware of.

Needless to say, I'll be filing a bug report and praying that this issue isn't already locked into the CS6 code (which I'm sure is itself already basically locked up awaiting Q2 2012 and NAB).

Thanks for any feedback!

• 1. Re: Breakout to Mono > Offline project > Relink media
          TradeWind Level 3

UPDATE - I did try reconnecting and replacing footage items with rendered assets that contained only the desired audio track. Didn't work. The sync was off and add to that that the waveforms disappeared.

I tried purging all the caches but it didn't make a difference. The solution was to just replace the audio in the sequence and re-edit. A few brief hours later and it's done. For this project anyway.

• 2. Re: Breakout to Mono > Offline project > Relink media
            Daniel_Peterson Level 1

I know this is done and dusted, but I wondered whether moving your files back into the original location first (or use an autosaved copy) then opening would avoid the 'relinking'? Then perhaps use project manager to relocate all the files attached to the project? Glad it worked out in the end though.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Breakout to Mono > Offline project > Relink media
              TradeWind Level 3

Daniel_Peterson wrote:

I know this is done and dusted, but I wondered whether moving your files back into the original location first (or use an autosaved copy) then opening would avoid the 'relinking'?

Definitely, PPro never has a problem linking files if they are in their original location and file path (it wouldn't have even prompted me to find them). However, when archiving, all the assets that resided on one or two different drives are consolidated and to be honest I couldn't tell you what their original locations were. I have never had this problem before, and my solution going forward will be to avoid using the "Breakout to Mono" function until I can be certain it won't break when assets go offline. I can't really avoid the file path changes with my archive workflow, and likewise, there's not really a simple way for me to keep tabs on where the assets start and finish on the local drives for each and every project.

Then perhaps use project manager to relocate all the files attached to the project? Glad it worked out in the end though.

As for the PPro project manager, it's an "export" tool, not a relinking tool, so it definitely wouldn't be of any service for this problem. In fact, even if I had used the Project Manager as part of archiving, it still wouldn't have mattered because the assets would have moved from their location afterwards anyway.

Thanks for the help though. If I could have moved everything into it's original file path prior to re-starting this project, that probably would have worked. I still don't know why or how PPro failed to keep track of the assets INSIDE the project as mono breakouts from the master clip. I know for a fact if I make subclips of a master clip and then relink the master clip, the offline subclips automatically re-link and have icons indicating "subclip" for those assets. Just seems that the same logic does not exist for mono breakouts.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Breakout to Mono > Offline project > Relink media
                Daniel_Peterson Level 1

sorry I meant use project manager as part of the archiving solution to 'relocate' or move all the files into one place,

Screen shot 2012-02-09 at 7.13.45 AM.png

but like you mentioned if the assests are moved again it will cause the same problem.

Hopefully this gets fixed in the future!