UPDATE - I did try reconnecting and replacing footage items with rendered assets that contained only the desired audio track. Didn't work. The sync was off and add to that that the waveforms disappeared.
I tried purging all the caches but it didn't make a difference. The solution was to just replace the audio in the sequence and re-edit. A few brief hours later and it's done. For this project anyway.
1 person found this helpful
I know this is done and dusted, but I wondered whether moving your files back into the original location first (or use an autosaved copy) then opening would avoid the 'relinking'? Then perhaps use project manager to relocate all the files attached to the project? Glad it worked out in the end though.
I know this is done and dusted, but I wondered whether moving your files back into the original location first (or use an autosaved copy) then opening would avoid the 'relinking'?
Definitely, PPro never has a problem linking files if they are in their original location and file path (it wouldn't have even prompted me to find them). However, when archiving, all the assets that resided on one or two different drives are consolidated and to be honest I couldn't tell you what their original locations were. I have never had this problem before, and my solution going forward will be to avoid using the "Breakout to Mono" function until I can be certain it won't break when assets go offline. I can't really avoid the file path changes with my archive workflow, and likewise, there's not really a simple way for me to keep tabs on where the assets start and finish on the local drives for each and every project.
Then perhaps use project manager to relocate all the files attached to the project? Glad it worked out in the end though.
As for the PPro project manager, it's an "export" tool, not a relinking tool, so it definitely wouldn't be of any service for this problem. In fact, even if I had used the Project Manager as part of archiving, it still wouldn't have mattered because the assets would have moved from their location afterwards anyway.
Thanks for the help though. If I could have moved everything into it's original file path prior to re-starting this project, that probably would have worked. I still don't know why or how PPro failed to keep track of the assets INSIDE the project as mono breakouts from the master clip. I know for a fact if I make subclips of a master clip and then relink the master clip, the offline subclips automatically re-link and have icons indicating "subclip" for those assets. Just seems that the same logic does not exist for mono breakouts.