13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2012 6:53 AM by Szalam

After Effects stops responding when importing larger video

Stewbinson49

Although this is likely a common topic, I've searched just about everywhere for an answer to this new problem I'm experiencing and I have had no luck.

Just recently, out of the blue, when I try to import larger (100+mb) quicktime videos into after effects the program stops responding and it doesn't give me an error message.  Smaller 2mb videos import without a problem but I can't even drag a large video into the comp without it closing down on me.  I've imported 400 rpf pictures in sequence which was 1gb and it worked fine but larger videos just shut it down.  I've tried the following:

- adjusting my OpenGL settings.

- removing my gl plugin

- adjusting my texture memory

- resetting preferences back to default

- purged my image and video memory

- cleared all the caches

- re-installed quicktime and made sure it was the correct version

- re-installed after effects (cs5.5) version 10.5.5.253

- reduced resolution

- swore loudly and cried uncontrolably

I have used this videos many times in the past without problem it just seems that all of a sudden the video is too big making the program shut down.

I'm on Windows 7 Intel quad core processor

16gb ram

Grapics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 (4064mb ram)

I've checked the graphics card and I'm running the most up to date version.

I hope I have provided enough information.  I appreciate any help in advance.

Andrew

• 1. Re: After Effects stops responding when importing larger video
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, what videos? File size doesn't matter, but they may simply be in some unsuitable CoDec. Sounds strange, though. If it worked before, it should work now. Installed anything on your system recently?

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects stops responding when importing larger video
            Stewbinson49 Level 1

Thanks Mylenium there quicktime videos.  After posting this I kept trying and at one point I got an error (reading frame from file).  A quick search suggests that it is a codec issue however I haven't knowingly changed anything recently.  The last time I used AE I took everything and put it into premire pro and I completed the project I was fooling around with different codecs to export the video with.  After doing that this problem started happening...not sure if I did something wrong but this is the only thing I can think of.  I'm going to do some research on fixing this but if there are any suggestions I would love to hear them since I don't know how to change codecs

• 3. Re: After Effects stops responding when importing larger video
              bogiesan Level 4

Myl is trying to get you to tell us the codec of the files with which you think you're having trouble. Quicktime is not a codec, it's just a packaging system. Rather like debugging a bad font error in Word, we need to know what the typeface is if we're going to help you. Telling us it's a Word document doesn't help.

> Although this is likely a common topic, I've searched just about everywhere for an answer to this new problem I'm experiencing and I have had no luck.<

AE rarely chokes by itself. Almost all such issues are user-rlated or -caused. We just have to keep asking questions tillwe get the information necessary to help establsh that and then kill it.

• 4. Re: After Effects stops responding when importing larger video
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you installed any codec packs at all (such as k-lite)?

If so, get rid of them immediately.

• 6. Re: After Effects stops responding when importing larger video
                  Stewbinson49 Level 1

Ok thanks.  Sorry I'm a hobbiest at best and I'm learning as I go.

When I import the quicktime movie it is showing: millions of color + (straight) PNG.  I believe then codec is PNG.  Today I noticed that from time to time I get video in the comp and scrub the time line a few times and it works and then stops responding and it rarely gives me an error message.  Again, sometimes it just stops responding once I try to drag the file into the comp.

I imported an avi file which I believe the codec is dvsd and I have no problems at all.  To me it looks like I've done something to mess up all of my quicktime movies.

I would try changing the codec for the quicktime movie but I don't know how.

I hope that is more information that may lead to solution.

Thanks

Andrew

• 7. Re: After Effects stops responding when importing larger video
                    Stewbinson49 Level 1

Just found k-lite was installed.  I removed it and restarted the computer.  Still having the same problem.

• 8. Re: After Effects stops responding when importing larger video

Gosh dang it! K-Lite strikes again. This past year, that little bugger has caused more trouble with professional video software on these forums than I remember codec packs ever doing in the past.

You may have to wipe your system. Do you know when K-Lite was installed? If so, you may be able to simply use System Restore to restore your system to before that date. (It won't mess with your data.) If that doesn't work, you may need to wipe your machine (in which case you will need to back up all your files.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 9. Re: After Effects stops responding when importing larger video
                        Stewbinson49 Level 1

This could be the cause then.  I installed k-lite right before I started having problems (I forgot that I installed it and just stumbed on it after you mentione it).  Bad news is that I can't do a system restore as it was turned off (don't know why or by who) so there are not restore points. 

I guess I will have to "wipe my machine" which I have no idea how to do and the possiblity of losing files scares me.  Any hints?

• 10. Re: After Effects stops responding when importing larger video

Well, I'd back up all your data first, if you haven't already. You should be doing that all along anyway. (Don't forget things like Photoshop brushes, Animation presets, etc. in your Adobe folders.)

Alright, before we go crazy, I would Google around for instructions on how to completely remove K-Lite.

If, you follow that and it's still messing up, the second thing I would do is to uninstall all your Adobe software.

Then run the CS Cleaner Adobe provides on their website.

Uninstall Quicktime.

Download and install a new version of Quicktime 7 (NOT Quicktime X).

And then reinstall your Creative Suite software.

If, after those steps, it still doesn't work, then you are going to have to go nuclear.

The first step is to back up all of your data. Documents, fonts, project files, stock footage libraries, music, animation presets, project templates, etc. Anything that you've added to the computer (except for programs).

Your computer either came with recovery disks or the ability to create them. Make the disks if you haven't already.

Put them in and reboot the machine. It should give you an option to wipe out everything and install a clean version of Windows. You will then have to reinstall your programs (NOT k-lite ) and put all your files back on the machine.

• 11. Re: After Effects stops responding when importing larger video
                            Dave LaRonde Level 6

Stewbinson49 wrote:

I guess I will have to "wipe my machine" which I have no idea how to do and the possiblity of losing files scares me.  Any hints?

Do this in the following order:

Back up your user files on an external hard drive for safety's sake.

Download the Adobe Cleaner application for your version of AE / Creative Suite.

Un-register your Adobe Software.

Uninstall all Adobe Creative Suite Applications.

Uninstall Quicktime.

Run the Adobe Cleaner Application.

Reinstall Quicktime (version 7, not that God-Awful QTX!)

Reinstall your Adobe applications.

Re-register your software.

You should be good to go.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 12. Re: After Effects stops responding when importing larger video
                              Stewbinson49 Level 1

Thanks for all the help guys.  I removed everything in order and unfortunately the problem continued to exist.  I ended up having to re-install windows and all the programs.  Hours and hours later I loaded up AE and problem solved.  I think I'm going to stay away from k-lite.

Thanks again

• 13. Re: After Effects stops responding when importing larger video

Glad you got it working. Sorry it was such an effort. I wish k-lite would just go away.