7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2012 2:54 AM by OhioGracie

Can't even begin to download application

OhioGracie

I get the initial screen but where it says "next step" "download" when I double click on "download" nothing happens.  I don't have a clue what to do.  Am totally frustrated.  Any suggestions????

• 1. Re: Can't even begin to download application
          Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Let's get a bit more information.

First, what environment are you in - Windows or MAC.  If Windows, are you

dealing with Windows 7?  If MAC, are you dealing with Lion?

Next, have you registered with Adobe.com?  That's important prior to trying

to download Digital Editions.

===============

• 2. Re: Can't even begin to download application
            OhioGracie Level 1

Hi -

First of all THANK YOU for responding.

I Have Windows Explorer 8  /  Windows 2000 XP Prof     I'm pretty sure I'm registered with Adobe - I have a password which matches my NOOK and have entered my personal info.

Think I might know where the problem might be ..... I recently could not install Turbo Tax  - kept getting an error message referring to Service Pak 3.   Service Pak 3 is installed on my computer but I can't update it.  The error message with Turbo Tax referred to "cannot update files"  I ended up downloading Turbo Tax online and then it worked - but I was able to download the online version.    Seems Service Pak 3 was installed originally on the computer and the uninstall/install feature won't work with this file.

My computer is old but, for the most part, functions great.  I got the computer from my brother-in-law some time ago so I really don't know the program history.  (He was an oil taker captain and the computer is from one of the ships he scrapped - some neat nautical programs on it).

Don't know if you can help me out - might be my computer.  Maybe it's something other than Service Pak 3..... If you could help, it sure would be great - would sure like to access the library e-books!!!

Gail

• 3. Re: Can't even begin to download application
              Frustrated in AZ Level 4

I'm thinking that your problem has to do with your registration with

Adobe.  Let's start by making sure you're registered with Adobe - try

signing into their website with your Adobe ID and password.

It's possible that some security settings in your anti-virus program is

preventing downloads from Adobe.  Once we make sure that you do have an

Adobe ID, then we should look at those settings.  From what you're saying,

I think you might need some help in doing that from someone in person.  Do

you know a ninth grader that's good with computers?  That would be cheaper

than calling the Geek Squad.

BTW: I get the same error messages from TurboTax, but I have SP3 installed

- and ADE works just fine.  So, I'm not sure that the install issues you

have come from that problem.  And my computer dates from 2005 - ancient in

this day and age.  I have XP installed as well (but you confuse me when you

say 'Windows 2000XP' because 2000 and XP are two different operating

systems.

=============

• 4. Re: Can't even begin to download application
                OhioGracie Level 1

Good Morning -

I can log onto Adobe.com just fine.  I've already put in all my personal info. etc.  I might note that I also have Adobe Photoshop on my computer - don't know if that makes any difference.

I'm pretty computer literate - not an IT professional - but do understand a lot - so maybe you could talk me through this (????)  re: Turbo Tax - I had a problem using it last year, too.  However, I was able to download the online version with no problem - of course, that version is more expensive than the one I got from COSTCO.

Gail

• 5. Re: Can't even begin to download application
                  OhioGracie Level 1

Hi Again -

I have Microsoft Windows XP Professional   Ver 2002  w/Service Pack 3.

Gail

• 6. Re: Can't even begin to download application
                    Frustrated in AZ Level 4

OK.  If your Adobe ID works, then the next step is to look at the settings

for your anti-virus programs and see if they will allow downloads from the

Adobe website.  What program are you using?

============

• 7. Re: Can't even begin to download application
                      OhioGracie Level 1

Good Morning -

I fixed it!!!   I manually downloaded the ADE program.  I already downloaded a loaner book from my local library.     Thanks for your help, though.

OhioGracie