10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2012 9:07 AM by Keledole

Motherboard question for 2600k

Keledole Level 1

I have been researching the components for an upcoming build and would like to get any input for the motherboards that I have been looking at.  The system will be using an intel i7 2600k processor. 

First is the chipset.  P67 or Z68?  As I understand it the Z68 can do SRT cache.  Is it beneficial or would it just be as good (or better) to make the C: drive with the OS and PP a 240GB SSD.  Here are two Z68 boards I am considering.

P8Z68 DELUXE GEN3

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68_DELUXEGEN3/#overview

P8Z68-V PRO GEN3

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V_PROGEN3/#specifications

The main difference I can tell is that the DELUXE does not have onboard graphics but has two gigabit Ethernet ports.  Will having no onboard graphics matter when it will be using an NVIDIA GTX 570?  The PRO has onboard graphics and one Ethernet port. I see that the PRO board is well represented in the benchmark test report but not too many DELUXE.  It also seems odd that the board without onboard graphics is more expensive.

P67 Boards

P8P67 EVO rev 3.0

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P67_EVO/

P8P67 PRO rev 3.1

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P67_PRO_REV_31/

I see the EVO is used frequently.  Any thoughts between these two boards?  They do not support SRT and are less expensive than the Z68s.  Would there be a performance hit going to one of these two boards?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Motherboard question for 2600k
          Jim_Simon Level 9

I don't particularly see the need for SRT on an edit rig myself.  I'd probably end up buying the cheapest P67 board that had all the connections I wanted.

• 2. Re: Motherboard question for 2600k
            Keledole Level 1

Thank you Jim for your reply.  I have seen other threads that have recommended the Z68 over the P67 but by breaking down the PPBM5 chart it appears the P67 in in use better than 3:1. In fact of the top 100 performers there are (19) P67's to (1) Z68.  I know this is a somewhat narrow and simplified view and performance is based on many other variables such as disk setup and PP version. 

I was just wondering in there was a mechanical/hardware reason why this ratio of usage and performance exists or if it is a matter of cost vs. return.  Opinions welcome!  

• 3. Re: Motherboard question for 2600k
              RjL190365 Level 4

You also have to know that most of the top performers were running CS5.03 and not CS5.5. In fact, CS5.5 consistently produces slower (longer) MPEG-2 DVD encode times than those systems running CS5.03 in the PPBM5 tests. Therefore, the two versions of Premiere Pro should not be directly compared.

I filtered out the results so that I included only those desktop systems that are running an i7-2600 or 2700 series CPU and CS5.5. Using that criteria, among the six i7-2600K systems that run CS5.5 within the systems in the top 100 overall (out of the currently listed 709 systems), there are exactly four (4) systems that are based on Z68 motherboards versus only two (2) systems that are based on P67 motherboards. That means that of the i7-2600K/CS5.5 systems that are in the overall top 100, the Z68 systems outnumber the P67 systems by a ratio of 2:1. In fact, I tested my main P67 rig with both CS5.03 and CS5.5, and found that my ranking plummeted from 28th with CS5.03 all the way down to 138th with CS5.5!

• 4. Re: Motherboard question for 2600k
                Keledole Level 1

Thank you for taking the time to do that.  I guess I can analyze for days on end (and have) and still not decide on what is the best solution for me.  If cost wasn't an issue I would jump on a P9X79 with a 3960X (at least they are available) and call it a day!

• 5. Re: Motherboard question for 2600k
                  RjL190365 Level 4

I was just wondering in there was a mechanical/hardware reason why this ratio of usage and performance exists or if it is a matter of cost vs. return.  Opinions welcome! 

Simple. The P67 boards have been around several months longer than the Z68 boards have been.

• 6. Re: Motherboard question for 2600k
                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

RjL190365 wrote:

. In fact, I tested my main P67 rig with both CS5.03 and CS5.5, and found that my ranking plummeted from 28th with CS5.03 all the way down to 138th with CS5.5!

That has no bearing whatsoever on the board.  It was because of changes in CS5.5 that caused CS5.5 MPEG2-DVD scores to triple over CS5.0.3.  Anytime you look at the PPBM5 scores the first thing you should do is sort on the version to eliminate that discrepancy.

• 7. Re: Motherboard question for 2600k
                      RjL190365 Level 4

Bill, I did mention that CS5.5 is slower than CS5.0.3 in MPEG-2 DVD encodes in the first paragraph in that post.

Although CS5.5 also made plainly clear the relative weakness of my particular GTX 470. Its 110-ish time in the MPEG-2 DVD test was barely faster than your GTX 285 on the chart that you sometimes post to others asking which GPU to buy. And even disabling and uninstalling all "unnecessary" programs and services made absolutely no difference whatsoever in the performance. All of the other scores are about where they should be.

• 8. Re: Motherboard question for 2600k
                        Keledole Level 1

I found this review about P67 vs Z68 which actually was a review of Z68 assets and a few of the available motherboards.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/43205-intel-z68-review-sandy -bridge-platform-expands.html

It boils down to SRT and graphics switching.  Graphics switching seems like a nightmare waiting for a place to happen.  SRT as stated above does not seem to affect the NLE workflow.  Is my thinking Correct?

• 9. Re: Motherboard question for 2600k
                          RjL190365 Level 4

In fact, with Premiere Pro there is practically zero performance improvement in going from a fast mechanical hard drive to an SSD.

As for graphics switching in Z68 or any of the H series chipsets, that can be avoided by either setting the IGP to "Always disable" (Intel), "Enable If No Ext PEG" (Gigabyte), or (on Asus motherboards) going into the Advanced menu and selecting "PCIE/PCI" for the "Initiate Graphic Adapter" line in the System Agent menu.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Motherboard question for 2600k
                            Keledole Level 1

Thanks all for the replys.  It has helped in the decision for a motherboard.