1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 7, 2012 7:40 PM by Digital Ruse

AutoPlay Issues with Windows (Vista/7) x64 [Fixed]

Digital Ruse

Greetings.

I tried posting a response in this thread...

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4174479

...about the "solution" I found for restoring autoplay funtionality with non-volume devices (Cameras, Phones, etc...), but while I can dig through the registry just fine the reply button on the forums eludes me.

From what I can tell, the problem is very much related to the way the 32-bit applications of Bridge, Premier and Elements interact with the 64-bit OS when it comes to autoplaying.  Looking at event viewer logs and what not shows that the autoplay process effectively crashes or locks up when it attempts to initialize with the Adobe applications in the list.

Anyway, without futher ado, the steps to "correct" the problem.

NOTE: This will remove the autoplay functionality for Bridge, Premier, or Elements (which didn't work with non-volume devices in x64 anyway).  Also, this requires going into the Windows registry to fix.  If you are not comfortable doing so, then find a techy friend to assist you.

1.) Open Registry Editor

2.) Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ AutoplayHandlers \ EventHandlers \

3.) Right click on EventHandlers, select export, choose a location, and name and save the file.  This will save a backup of the registry keys/values you will be deleting should you want to restore them later.

4.) You'll have to go key by key, but you'll want to look for values that contain "Bridge", "Premier", or "Elements" (or other Adobe Products) and remove them.

5.) Now, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ AutoplayHandlers \ Handlers \

3.) Right click on Handlers, select export, choose a location, and name and save the file.  This will save a backup of the registry keys/values you will be deleting should you want to restore them later.

6.) This time you will be deleting any keys (they look like folders) that contain "Bridge", "Premier", or "Elements" (or other Adobe Products) and remove them.

7.) Close the Registry Editor and reboot.

You should now find that your Autoplay functions work perfectly with non-volume devices again.

Hope this helps you all.