22 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 3:27 PM by the_wine_snob

PE 10 crashes when I click "Disc Menus" tab

mobon

Hi

After much trouble making work my version 7 strangely not accepting anymore licence code, I decided to buy version 10 and while I was waiting for the Disc to arrive [slight delay of 7 days] I downloaded the 64bit version and installed it together with the additional files.

I loaded one of my projects made with version 7 and clicked on the DISC MENUS TAB only to be greeted by a crash made by the DVDcreator.dll file.

Any help guys?

I have already been having problem in the last week and I am tired of Adobe's programmes in the last few years - since version 7 problems started!

Thanks

M

PS this discussion is the following of this one:

Cannot re-activate Premiere Elements 7 with correct licence

• 1. Re: PE 10 crashes when I click "Disc Menus" tab
          nealeh Level 5

Opening a project from an earlier version is not really advised. It invariably causes problems. The normal recommendation is to complete any projects in the version in which they were created - tricky in your case as it's not accepting your licence.

As we're just ordinary users here you should probably continue your discussions with Adobe to resolve the v7 issue you have.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: PE 10 crashes when I click "Disc Menus" tab
            mobon Level 1

Hi

Thanks

I have searched for the DVDcreator.dll file on HDD and found:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 10

21/09/2011 - 1.11Mb

C:\Windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\2E5B465D5BCCC5A43BE5F23CB0CB3963\7.0.0

30/09/2001 - 1.34Mb

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0

19/12/2008 - 1.34Mb

The problem now is, since I opened the file in Premiere 10, it made its project and cannot now open it on Premiete 7 [in Trial mode!] to get rid of the disc menu and then reopen on Premiere 10 [complicated!]

It is not worth to spend anymore time on this and I will recreate the video from scratch and if it crashes again, Adobe is the problem!

I am trying it today and see what happens, unless anybody has the DVDcreator.dll file to send me via PM?

It may be corrupted.

Pity Adobe does not have a Repair Programme feature on setup or has it?

Thanks

M

• 3. Re: PE 10 crashes when I click "Disc Menus" tab
              mobon Level 1

This is Windows 7 64bit crash report:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH

Application Name:    Adobe Premiere Elements.exe

Application Version:    10.0.0.0

Application Timestamp:    4e791009

Fault Module Name:    DVDCreator.dll

Fault Module Version:    10.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp:    4e7900f3

Exception Code:    c0000005

Exception Offset:    0000000000049440

OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID:    2057

Additional Information 1:    4040

Additional Information 2:    404004e466857ff9e794f99697e1c311

Additional Information 3:    950f

Additional Information 4:    950f33d72e8ca979478274e2413388d5

• 4. Re: PE 10 crashes when I click "Disc Menus" tab
                mobon Level 1

I spent some time to pinpoint the root of the problem.

Here is what I found out after I uninstalled Adobe Premiere 10 and re-installed it and then re-installed each single additional content:

1. Adobe Premiere 10 does not have any crash when clicking on Disc Menus without Additional Content installed yet [after I loaded the project file]

2. After installed Adobe Premiere Elements 10 HD Content 1 - it crashes when I click the Disc Menus [after I loaded the project file]

3. Adobe Premiere Elements 10 Content 1- it crashes when I click the Disc Menus [after I loaded the project file]

4. No crashes with Contents 2 and 3 and 2 HD and 3 HD installed

Adobe? You have the ball now!

Regards

M

PS we do know you read all posts and that the Elements users are 'lesser' beings than the Pro users!

But you are missing an important business point, Elements users could become PRO users and make you MORE money - got it?

• 5. Re: PE 10 crashes when I click "Disc Menus" tab
                  nealeh Level 5

mobon wrote:

Adobe? You have the ball now!

Except they won't know about it from here. Although, occasionally, an Adobe employee visits these forums we're mostly all just ordinary users who like the product and try to help each other out.

You would be better of continuing your discussion in the Installation forum - where there is an Adobe employee trying to help you out. Now that you've pinned it down to Additional Content (good investigation result !) he may be able to better help you (but be nice - he's just a guy doing his job and not trying to sabotage your installation. He may not even have been on the product development team).

Cheers,

--

Neale

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: PE 10 crashes when I click "Disc Menus" tab
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

One thing that is missing from the info, is the full set of details on your system. This ARTICLE goes into more detail, on what is needed.

Also, with the PrE crash, and the memory address listed, the first thing that I would do is check that you do not have some program, that is loading at bootup, that is mis-reporting its memory usage, or is telling the OS that it is releasing memory addresses, when it is not. This ARTICLE starts with a checklist on getting PrE set up to work the best. It then goes into some tuneup tips for one's system and the OS. See especially the Clean, Lean, Mean Editing Machine link. Be sure to see Blick Viper's Win7 TuneUp Tips, if you have Win7 Last, it goes into some troubleshooting tips, and I would definitely look into the Finding Clues link, on using the Event Viewer to find error and warning messages.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: PE 10 crashes when I click "Disc Menus" tab
                      mobon Level 1

Hi nealeh

I do not visit these forums usually as I do not have much trouble in using them and I generally seek help when the program itself is causing me problems and wasted hours.

I did open an error alert on Photoshop.com [Premiere area] forum where they should pick it up and see if I have a problem or the program has a small bug.

My next step is 'first' to create a new DISC MENUS with PE10 and then re-try and install the 'offending' contents and see if it works.

Thanks for your input

M

• 8. Re: PE 10 crashes when I click "Disc Menus" tab
                        mobon Level 1

Hi

Well, I listed what W7 had listed in the pop-up window and the computer does work fine with anything I use and I keep it in working order.

Strange thing is that I need to 'modify' how my computer works because Adobe's programs is too susceptible to the system I have.

I do sometimes visit Viper's, but mainly is when I am fixing other's people computers [ I am an Electronics and IT Technician]

I will certainly look into it.

Thank you Bill for your valuable input - appreciated

M

• 9. Re: PE 10 crashes when I click "Disc Menus" tab
                          mobon Level 1

I agree totally with you and I keep all my computers in good working order [all updated] with as less as possible junk in it and the least background programs running too and defrag with a non-microsoft defrag.

I do not believe in these all-in-one-fixing-programmes and prefer to fix things myself - to last, but I will check this link.

But, in this case I believe it has nothing to do with how the computer is.

Thank you for reminding me of Quicktime, which I forgot to check due to the numerous problems I am having!

Personally I do not like and never liked programmes like Quicktime that actually 'invade' your computers!!

• 10. Re: PE 10 crashes when I click "Disc Menus" tab
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

One thing to consider though before you completely brush off the idea of running Advanced System Care: If it was the software rather than your computer, many more people would be having this same issue.

As I said, in our experience, a tune-up and OS and driver update fixes the vast majority of these strange crash issues.

• 11. Re: PE 10 crashes when I click "Disc Menus" tab
                              mobon Level 1

Possibly.

More likely that my security settings are too tight for this programme.

I will do more checks and publish findings and if I solve it, it will be another to add to the list to the help others - possibly.

• 12. Re: PE 10 crashes when I click "Disc Menus" tab
                                nealeh Level 5

mobon wrote:

I keep all my computers in good working order

"All my computers" - you're not trying to run PRE within a network, are you? It's not really designed for that - it expects to run wholly within a single PC. Some go as far as to say never ever install it on anything but C: (although personally I install to my E: drive and have never had problems).

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 13. Re: PE 10 crashes when I click "Disc Menus" tab
                                  mobon Level 1

No.

All my computers was all only to enphasize I do keep my computers in good working order by default and 'rarely' have crashes and I mean rarely!

Thanks

PS I have left is without those 2 contents installed for the moment, I do not have any more time to waste at present. I will try and finish this, another day.

• 14. Re: PE 10 crashes when I click "Disc Menus" tab
                                    nealeh Level 5

OK. I'm pleased that you have found a usable work-around. If you ever do get a proper solution do post it back so that it may help others.

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 15. Re: PE 10 crashes when I click "Disc Menus" tab
                                      mobon Level 1

Just another addition to keep you informed:

I was checking out where Premiere 10 keeps all files [as usual everywhere!] and I noticed that it keeps its Media Cache Database [as set in the Preferences and you could change it - I would not in case PE10 gets upset!] in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common and I believe there lies the problem.

I remember when I [for the first time] loaded the project into Premiere 10 [ pre-created in Premiere 7], it asked me if I wanted it to become a Premiere 10 file and I answered yes!

Having said that, upon checking the 'Media Cache Database' folder there are 3 folders a [10] folder, a [Media Cache] and a [Media Cache Files] and I found buried in the [Media Cache] the PE7 folder and not the PE10 and I believe Premiere 10 does not find some files it may need there.

mmm

• 16. Re: PE 10 crashes when I click "Disc Menus" tab
                                        mobon Level 1

Last of it?

I [last night] loaded the project made with PE7 [without the 'Contents 1' and 'Contents 1 HD' load - as mentioned.

I could then load the DISC MENUS and add a 'New' menu from the PR10 listing and saved the project - I presumed PE10 would over-write the old one and it did!

This morning I created a New project with the same video and clicked on the 'DISC MENUS' and it loaded fine.

Closed program and installed 'Contents 1' only and tried to click on the 'DISC MENUS' tab using both, the New project and the old project and it works fine.

I also installed the last additional 'Content 1 HD' and it now works fine and does not crash.

My conclusion is, in my view Adobe should modify their 'Project Loading Script' to check for Project version prior PE10 and if not a PE10 - load a 'Automatically' basic one from PE10 and give a 'Window Alert' to the user and say something like:

Please note: this Project Disc Menus were added using PExx and they are not [listed or compatible] with this version of PE, but we have loaded a basic one that you can edit and change as you like using the PE10 editor.

That's it! After all the file were created with the VERY same Programme, but older version.

Is that so difficult?

User would go WOW Adobe, that is clever?

Regards all

M

• 17. Re: PE 10 crashes when I click "Disc Menus" tab
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, I seldom work with Projects from other versions of PrE, but have to edit Projects in PrPro, that were created in much older versions of the program, and even back to the Premiere days, before the "Pro" moniker. Some of those are also from the Mac, and I am on the PC.

In PrPro, when one either Opens, or Imports the older version Projects, the program is neat, in that when it hits an incompatible Effect, or Transition, it pauses and issues an info screen, telling me what is missing by name, and the exact TimeCode, where it will be missing. I then make note of what is missing, and where, so I can go into the Timeline and replace, say a missing 3rd party Transition, with one of the ones included in my version.

Now, PrPro is pretty simple in regard to most editing (though it has much more ultimate power), than PrE, as there are no Themes, Instant Movies, fewer 3rd party Transitions and Effects, like NewBlue FX and some other global fixes, like SmartMix, etc. Those usually can bring the process of Opening the older version Project, in PrE.

I would like to see something, like the process in PrPro, added to PrE, with an info panel, with full detail on missing elements. However, it does get a bit more complicated in PrE, and also, there are probably fewer PrE users, who upgrade, version to version - there are probably many more new users, than one will find with PrPro, with the exception of the flood of FCP users, who have crossed over to Adobe.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: PE 10 crashes when I click "Disc Menus" tab
                                            mobon Level 1

Hi Bill

It is actually very simple.

Since Premiere Element DISC MENUS are so basic, the loader only needs to look for 1or 2 files max - a PNG and a PDS [if needed] - and if the user did install their previous version in the 'default' place, Adobe should know where to look or ask the user to browse for it/them.

I used to do professional 'non-software' editing using the Panasonic [for VCR 1/2 or 3/4 Sony/Hitachi recorded tapes] for advertisers in Italy in the 80' for Private TV Networks and maybe one day I will produce professional videos again  - who knows.

That is it.

Regards

M

;p] Happy Editing!

• 19. Re: PE 10 crashes when I click "Disc Menus" tab
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

In the case of the PrE Menu Sets, the PSD files are actually the Layered Menu files, and PNG's are for the thumbnails, that one sees in the Menu Set Library Panel.

Historically, the bulk of the Menu Sets has remained the same, with an occasional one being "retired," and often an addition, or two. A few might have been reworked over the yeas. There were some problems with a few in PrE 9, and as there have not been such complaints in PrE 10, I would assume that those were some, which were reworked.

Good luck, and thank you for reporting.

Hunt

• 21. Re: PE 10 crashes when I click "Disc Menus" tab
                                                mobon Level 1

Hi Bill

I just discovered a strange thing.

I was going to have a quick look into the Disc Menus Templates within PsP10 folder in Program Files only to find there was only the Basic one!

Then I thought, lets have a search for them by name and found them inside the Program Files (x86) [which is the 32bit area] and they all are there.

There is another PPe10 installed there but only a few folders with 'all' the templates and I only installed it once!

I do not understand it.

I am going to get the Original Discs at home and 'after uninstalled everything, I will re-install the 64bit it properly from the discs with all the contents and download all the updates and see what happens.

So, possibly all the annoyance I had was because of that - mmm!

I will keep you posted - now I am curious.

M

PS maybe I did install the 32bit version initially, then uninstalled it after I found out it was the 32bit [possibly did not uninstall all of it] and then installed the 64bit - who knows - I do not remember. I wonder in on the Adobe website the Trial download automatically downloads the 32bit

ADDITION

I installed again the 64bit version and the contents folders install on program files (x86) by default automatically - if you use the autoinstaller on the DVD

I wonder if that affects the 64bit installation and slows it too having to read from a different directory.

If you install each content folder, it ask you 'where' to install them - I will uninstall them and re-install manually in Program Files/adobe/ ...

Message was edited by: mobon

ADDITION 2

I uninstalled the Contents again and this time installed them from the CD one by one and stated C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 10\

as the main folder and not the defaulted C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 10\

Well, what do you know - Contents install in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 10\ even if I force it to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 10\

In fact I think Adobe installs a reference from the 64bit are to the 32bit area.

I have noticed it has a 32bit.msi installer in each content folder!

I was just curious and nothing has changed.

THE END [I think]

• 22. Re: PE 10 crashes when I click "Disc Menus" tab
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Mobon,

Interesting observations.

I have not installed PrE 10, as I am waiting for my new 64-bit laptop, and also, I do a custom install for ALL of my Adobe programs. Rather than using the default location, all go into C:\Adobe, so other than system files and Registry entries, I have 99%+ of my program, in sub-folders beneath C:\Adobe, and all works fine. Since Adobe programs make up the bulk of my apps., having everything under one separate root folder, works fine for me. However, I am then of a bit less help, when people as for the default install Path, for a particular Adobe program - mine will be different, from theirs.

Good luck,

Hunt