7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2012 10:32 AM by Ann Bens

Slight brightening of screen before new credits and scene transitions -- Blu Ray Export

markatimarc

Hey friends ---

I have an annoying problem and is one of those things that isn't 'glaring' which makes it difficult to find a straight, easy answer to.

After exporting my premiere pro cs5 timeline to bluray mpeg2 and authoring/burning it through encore, I am noticing a VERY annoying 'flicker' or 'brightening' of the black screen right before a new opening credit and even after scene transitions during playback of the final burned bluray disc. It's as if the screen brightens slightly one frame before the new credit or during the first frame of a new shot. Very annoying, and yes, it is subtle but it is very strange -- and whats worse is that it's not consistent. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't!

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

My source footage is from a canon 7d, 1920 x 1080p -- film shot at 24 fps. I am burning on BD-R bluray discs and am using my Playstation 3 for playback.

I've attached my bluray exporting settings --- maybe someone knows what's happening here and can help out ?

Thank you very much !!

Sincerely,

-Markexport_settings.png

• 1. Re: Slight brightening of screen before new credits and scene transitions -- Blu Ray Export
          TradeWind Level 3

Is this happening on your computer monitor in the Encore project window, or is it happening when you burn a BDR disc and put it on a TV screen?

• 2. Re: Slight brightening of screen before new credits and scene transitions -- Blu Ray Export
            markatimarc Level 1

Hi Christian,

Thank you for replying !!!!

This only appears to be happening on my HD tv screen (but I can't play

blurays on my computer so I don't know if it would happen everywhere else

or not) ... I have only exported H.264 previously and everything looks

absolutely perfect on my computer screen -- really really perfect. However,

after I burn a bluray this odd first frame brightening -- almost as if it's

registering that something is changing or coming up (example: a new credit)

only occurs on the TV.

• 3. Re: Slight brightening of screen before new credits and scene transitions -- Blu Ray Export
              TradeWind Level 3

It's probably your TV. Dynamic contrast features on television are usually the culprit. If you can find and disable the setting for "dynamic contrast" (or something similarly worded) then check it again, that should solve it.

Dynamic contrast isn't terrible when it's implemented more subtley. Larger and more expensive HDTVs usually handle it well. Smaller HDTVs (36" and under, usually 720p sets) are surprisingly bad at this.

It's not a bad thing...it can bring out details in dark scenes and handle highlights better in bright scenes. Generally speaking, the HDTV uses this function to compensate for the shortcomings of the LED/LCD/Plasma screen.

However, if you want constant contrast (to see a movie exactly with the sort of contrast intended by the director, and avoid possible artifacts) then you turn this setting off on your HDTV.

Keep in mind, this isn't something you can control for the end user. It's a hardware setting on HDTVs and is pretty universal (which is why you see things like "1,000,000,0000:1 contrast ratio!!!!!!")

If that doesn't turn out to be your issue, then hopefully someone else can shed some light on it. My bet says this is the problem.

• 4. Re: Slight brightening of screen before new credits and scene transitions -- Blu Ray Export
                markatimarc Level 1

Interesting!

I guess my only response to that would be why professional DVD's dont' tend

to be that noticeable if in fact the TV is employing the same method.

for instance, the black background during the credit sequence remains an

even, perfect shade of black no matter if credits are rolling on it or not.

But I think you might be right; I def. think it has to do with brightness /

highlighting .. since it tends to happen during bright scene transitions

and my font is pure white during the credits. (would pushing it to a slight

shade of grey fix this? I know that is a default shade .. maybe this is

why?)

Will have to dig into this more .... maybe it is a balance issue on my end

and the film isnt perfectly balanced or something and the TV whacks out /

tries to compensate?

hmm

• 5. Re: Slight brightening of screen before new credits and scene transitions -- Blu Ray Export
                  TradeWind Level 3

Regarding professional DVDs (and Blu-ray), I can tell you from my experience they do the exact same thing. I have one 19 or 21 inch 720p screen that exhibits this issue no matter where the content was produced - Hollywood studio or my studio. Unfortunately, the setting on my TV to turn off dynamic contrast has absolutely zero effect (an obvious manufacturing bug).

Here's the gist of it...if you have a scene that ends with a shot of a bright blue sunlit sky that cuts to black and rolls credits, dynamic contrast will go from suppressing highlights to boosting them. If you have a slow fading transition, you might never notice it (or you might, if it's a crappy TV).

• 6. Re: Slight brightening of screen before new credits and scene transitions -- Blu Ray Export
                    markatimarc Level 1

very interesting.

OK! Well .... now all I need to do is test this thing on a computer screen

and that should confirm it.

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!

A relief to know it's not anything i did or can do ... i was really

scratching my head on this ...

• 7. Re: Slight brightening of screen before new credits and scene transitions -- Blu Ray Export
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

H.264 BluRay is a beter codec to use.

You do not need to check Frame Blending as your output framerate is the same as the source.

Choose a preset or set everything manual instead of Based on Source.