7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2012 6:04 AM by Steve Grisetti

HDC-TM900 with PE10

spacebiscuit

I recently purchased a Panasonic HDC-TM900 and I'm trying to figure out the best way to edit footage shot on this camera.

A Google search threw up this thread

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3933191

Since it was from September 2011 I thought I'd raise the question again as I am guessing someone has a good system in place by now?

I've installed a trail version of PE 10 as far as I can see the best match project settings are one of the following for the 1080p/60 footage:

1. AVCHD > Full HD 1080i 30

or

2. Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorder > HD 1080i 30 (60i)

However both of these are interlaced rather than progressive.

Using option 1 if I drop the 1080p/60 footage into the project the playback window is good - not perfect but acceptable.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Johanus.

• 1. Re: HDC-TM900 with PE10
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements can not edit 1080p AVCHD footage, Johanus. I wouldn't even recommend you try. You'll only run into problems. And the program will convert your video to 60i or 50i in the process so it can work with it.

Your camcorder does have the option to shoot interlaced frames (50i or 60i). So if you want to edit in Premiere Elements, I highly recommend you shoot your video in that format.

But the 50p and 60p Full AVCHD is not supported by Premiere Elements or any other consumer program. If you want to shoot and edit in 60p, you'll need to upgrade to the Pro version of Premiere or Vegas. Sorry.

• 2. Re: HDC-TM900 with PE10
            spacebiscuit Level 1

Thanks for the prompt reply.

So would you recommend that I shoot in 1080i/60? the final footage will be encoded for the Web so there will be considerable compression done on the finaal footage which is to be output.

Therefore I guess the difference between i and p is not going to have a great bearing on what I achieve in the end?

Thanks,

J.

• 3. Re: HDC-TM900 with PE10

Absolutely!

Trust me. It will save you a lot of headaches in the long run --- and your end results will be indistinguishable from video created from 60p footage.

• 4. Re: HDC-TM900 with PE10
                spacebiscuit Level 1

Hi Steve,

Do you know anything about the recording modes of the TM900?

I've read the manual from cover to front and it doesn't explain the details of the modes at all. As far as I can figure the following are available:

HA1920

HG1920

HX1920

HE1920

iFrame

It seems that HA is the higest quality but does not explain anywhere the difference btween the various H modes. Would I be correct in guessing that:

HA1920 = 1080/60i

The modes above are selected from the menu system. There is then a 1080/60p button on the camera itself which I guess is the same as HA1920 but progressive rather than interlaced? I think to have a sperate button on the camera for 1080/p recording is bad design which confuses matters - why not just have all the modes selectable in the same place?

Am I correct in saying that 1080/p recording is AVCHD?

Thanks,

Johanus.

• 5. Re: HDC-TM900 with PE10

This spec sheet explains the difference.

http://panasonic.net/avc/camcorder/hd/900_800_series/specifications.html

It's basically a difference in bit rate, which can affect the quality of the video. It's up to you how low you're willing to take the bit rate to fit more video on the camcorder -- but I would only recommend shooting in HA or HG mode.

As for 1080p, yes, that's 60 or 50 progressive scan frames per second, a format that's not supported in Premiere Elements. If you're going to edit in Premiere Elements, you very much want to stick with the 60i and 50i format.

• 6. Re: HDC-TM900 with PE10
                    spacebiscuit Level 1

Ok so the 1080/p 'button' simply toggles bettwen 'i' and 'p' recording modes?

• 7. Re: HDC-TM900 with PE10

You'll have to tell me. I don't own the camcorder.

All I can tell you is what will and won't work in Premiere Elements.