6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2012 2:01 PM by the_wine_snob

Strange memory issues with Premiere Elements

Kate Halle

HI

I'm using  (or trying to use!) Preimiere Elements to edit some footage shot on a Nikon D90.

The software limps along for a few minutes then gives an error message saying 'Adobe Premiere Elements is running very low on system memory. Please save your project and proceed with caution.'

My system is as follows:

Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHZ

• 1. Re: Strange memory issues with Premiere Elements
          Kate Halle Level 1

Not my day ... that sent before finished.

RAM: 3069MB

System type: 32 bit

93GB free on C:

Is this a good enough set up to be running Premiere Elements and/or the full version of Premiere?

I've cleaned the registry and ran a few anti virus scans.

At a loss at what to try next.

If anyone can help would be so grateful. Making a short film and the rest of the team are relying on me for this.

Kate

• 2. Re: Strange memory issues with Premiere Elements
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read...

Nikon D90 MJPEG http://forums.adobe.com/thread/901259

-http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/25446/D90.html

My 3 hard drives are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folder and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (*)

(*) for 4 drives, drive 3 all source files & drive 4 all output files

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing

You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions

Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work

You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand

A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing

You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything

I find that the three drives I use work very well for me, for editing AVCHD video... some people use a 4th drive, so video INPUT files are on drive three and all OUTPUT files are on drive four... I only bought a mid-tower case instead of a full tower case (my bad... but had to fit in the space available on my office desk!) so I use the three drives that will fit

Depending on your exact hardware (motherboard brand & model AND USB2 enclosure brand & model AND external hard drive brand & model) AND the type of video file, you may... or may NOT... be able to use an external USB2 hard drive for SD (Standard Definition) video editing

Steve Grisetti in the Premiere Elements forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856208 and Jim Simon in the Premiere Pro forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856433 use USB externals for editing

A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used the eSata Dock below... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_ t

• 3. Re: Strange memory issues with Premiere Elements
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you started your Premiere Elements project, did you ensure that you selected project settings for working with DSLR video?

If youv'e selected the corrected project settings, you will NOT see red lines above your clips when you add them to your timeline. Is that the case in your project?

Also, as you add effects and transitions, you WILL see red lines appear above your clips. When that happens, make sure you press Enter to render these segments (the red lines will turn green) and you should see much improved performance.

EDIT

I found some online specs that indicate that this camera does shoot in MJPEG format, as John indicated above. MJPEG video will, unfortunately, not edit natively in Premiere Elements.

• 4. Re: Strange memory issues with Premiere Elements
                Kate Halle Level 1

Hi Steve

Thanks for your response. I do see red lines above the cips. Tried to create a new project with DSLR video settings but can't see an option to select it. I'm using Premiere Elements 4 - would that be why?

It is working OK with footage shot on my DV camera.

Is there a way to make the footage editable in Premiere Elements? Would it edit ok in the full version?

Many thanks for your help.

Kate

• 5. Re: Strange memory issues with Premiere Elements
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm sorry, Kate, but version 4 doesn't nearly the versatility of the current version of the program, so you're probably not going to be able to edit MJPEG video at all in it.

Your best bet is probably Windows MovieMaker.

• 6. Re: Strange memory issues with Premiere Elements
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Kate,

I feel that Steve is correct, regarding the MJPEG, BUT, you might want to take a look at this ARTICLE. I still use PrE 4.0, and can edit some MJPEG material.

In the case of that Nikon, you received a utility disc with it. IIRC, there is the Nikon browser program (not the stand-alone Nikon Capture, but the smaller one), and it installs Nikon's version of the MJPEG CODEC. Even if you do not use that Nikon utility for editing, or cataloging, I would install it, just to get THAT MJPEG (they are all NOT created equal).

As for your memory/resources issues, see this ARTICLE, please. I would also look over this ARTICLE for more info, and a checklist on getting PrE to work its best. Note: That Memory/Resource article is linked in there too.

Good luck,

Hunt