11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 3:37 PM by the_wine_snob

Can I edit disc menus outside Premiere 10?

mobon Level 1

Hi

Can I edit disc menus outside Premiere 10?

Never done it and I would prefer it, as I find Adobe' is a bit too basic and slow.

Thanks

M

• 1. Re: Can I edit disc menus outside Premiere 10?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You're best to work with an existing template and edit it with Photoshop Elements or, better, Photoshop Pro. It's not an easy process, since it involves layer sets, naming hierarchies and and proper layer orders -- but I walk you through how to do it in one chapter of my combined Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements book.

http://Muvipix.com/pe10.php

Though if you have very strong Photoshop skills, you may be able to just swap elements in on your own as long as you name the layers and layer sets correctly.

• 2. Re: Can I edit disc menus outside Premiere 10?
            mobon Level 1

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Where can I find 'all' DISC MENUS files?

I mean all of them including the additional ones.

I presume they are png files?

I will copy/rename one and trial it.

Thanks

M

• 3. Re: Can I edit disc menus outside Premiere 10?

They are multi-layered PSD files.

You don't say which operating system you're using, but for most Windows machines, you'll find them in C:/ADOBE/PREMIERE ELEMENTS 10/DVD TEMPLATES.

• 4. Re: Can I edit disc menus outside Premiere 10?
                mobon Level 1

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes, I found them [W7 Home Premium - 64bit - Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.54GHz - 200 Pin SO DIMM DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz - Ati Mobility Radeon HD4650 Graphics card uses abot 1GB MAX of the Memory if needed on top of its own 500Mb- X-black LCD 16.4' HD - No game ever had problems of performance yet - 2 years].

The reason I asked about editing them outside Premiere 10 is because the editing in Premiere 10 is the most basic they could do.

I understand Adobe wish us to upgrade to the Pro version but those menus are not much editable and too constricted to the basic design/low quality/button-image-text.

At least some of them are and I am using [testing] a HD one - the 'Fun' one on the General List and I now moved to the 'Grid' - having a more basic background to 'properly' show characters - also sometimes the preview plays at a awful pixel rate.

I am no expert, but I would have preferred a 'proper' external editor to use in conjunction.

When I find the time I will create my own - if possible!

Are there any external Disc Menus Editors so, I can import them into Premiere?

M

• 5. Re: Can I edit disc menus outside Premiere 10?

No. But many people edit their videos in Premiere Elements and then output the videos and create their disc menus in a third-party program.

DVD Architect Studio is a $39 download than provides a surprisingly powerful workspace for creating and customizing menus, and includes a number of features that used to be reserved for pro disc autoring apps.

You can see a demo of it in my free 3-part Basic Training tutorials.

http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchphrase=dvd+architect+studio&btn.x=19&btn.y=5

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Can I edit disc menus outside Premiere 10?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve suggests, editing the Menu Sets (there are actually two Menus in the Set), can be done in PS/PSElements. There ARE, however, some necessary conventions, and those MUST be followed. Using one of the existing Menu Sets as an example, as one can see the full, and necessary structure, plus the necessary naming conventions. Even though I do it quite often in PS, I still keep one of the example Menu Sets, so that I do not miss anythiing important. This THREAD goes into much more detail.

One thing to consider, when choosing the Image Editing program, is that Photoshop (the big-brother) can CREATE Layer Sets, used for Buttons. PSElements can ONLY edit existing Layer Sets, but if you Copy over Layer Sets (for those Buttons), you can certainly edit them in PSE.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Can I edit disc menus outside Premiere 10?
                      mobon Level 1

Hi

Thanks Bill and Steve - I appreciate you taking the time to either help or direct us to the right area.

I will check it out on the weekend - if possible.

I like to do things properly and professionally and Adobe Editing tool it does not really exist and I prefer to do thing myself [I usually end up to do it, anyway!]

Regards

M

• 8. Re: Can I edit disc menus outside Premiere 10?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck, and happy editing.

So long as one follows all of the necessary conventions, such as structure, and naming, it's really pretty easy. However, as PrE does a lot of the authoring in semi-automatic mode, those conventions MUST be adhered to. Having one of the Library Menu Sets handy, for reference, you should be fine.

I would recommend placing those edited/created Menu Sets into a separate folder, and not overwriting the Library Assets, as you might need to revisit those. I have a "Hunt Menus" folder with sub-folders for each new Menu Set, within the Library root folder, and those all appear in the Menu Panel, via the drop-down.

Please report your success,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Can I edit disc menus outside Premiere 10?
                          mobon Level 1

Hi Bill

One thing has just come to mind.

Stupid me, I do have a licensed copy of Macromedia [now Adobe] Fireworks 4 and it is in its nature to do Buttons and works happily with PNG files!

I used it years ago for websites and I now only use it to create advertising a bit like, Illustrator or something similar.

I could do all the layering there - even Dreamweaver CS4 [which I have] can do it [up to an extent].

When I have the time, I will copy a full working one, rename it and play with it.

Then I will have to type a text file with instructions as I do not use Premiere all the time and need a quick reminder.

Thanks for your input

M

• 10. Re: Can I edit disc menus outside Premiere 10?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, the Menus in the Encore (the authoring app. that ships with PrPro) are simpler, than those Menu Sets in PrE.

They could be used as a basis for PrE Menu Sets, but would need a lot of additional work. The reason for that is that PrE does much of the authoring/linking/navigation and Scene Selection Menu generation semi-automatically, where one does ALL of that by hand in Encore. To get that semi-automation to work, one needs to alter the Encore Menus fairly dramatically, and MUST follow certain conventions, or PrE will fail to be able to use them.

Though I create a lot of my Encore Menus, and also edit/create Menu Sets for PrE, I have to go very slowly, and work methodically, as there are absolutes that one MUST take into consideration, with PrE Menu Sets. I also keep a PrE Library Menu Set Open, and handy, as a reference. Even so, I can still miss a necessary element, or naming convention, and things just do not work.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Can I edit disc menus outside Premiere 10?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, Fireworks' Buttons, are for HTML Web page Buttons, and interactive Flash Buttons. DVD-Video Menu Buttons are special elements. You could use Fireworks to create the graphics elements of a DVD Menu Button, but will need Photoshop to do the "heavy lifting," to convert those to real DVD Menu Buttons.

Depending on what I am doing, and what I need, I often create DVD Menu Button elements in Illustrator, but then always use Photoshop to create the Button Layer Sets, with the exact structure and naming conventions, for the DVD-spec.

Good luck,

Hunt