6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2012 9:54 AM by Jim_Simon

Request for info/data on Premiere usage

web.boards Level 1

I work at a community college where we have been teaching Final Cut Pro for many years, and with the release of FCPX, we are looking into switching to either Premiere or Avid Media Composer. The software is taught as part of a multimedia program where students learn to make projects based on various media, with the goal that their skills will lead to jobs and certificates and degrees. From my research, it seems that Premiere CS5.5 has all the capabilities that FCP7 had and more. I know that Avid Media Composer is much more widely used, though I am looking for any actual info anyone can provide. We use Macs in our computer lab and we currently teach Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Dreamweaver, etc. So I would prefer sticking with Adobe Premiere if possible.

Can anyone provide me with any info on any of the following:

1. movies or tv shows edited with Adobe Premiere

2. industry market share %

3. Any advantages reasons to use Premiere vs. Avid Media Composer

4. anything else that I can use to support the justification for switching to Premiere vs. Avid Media Composer

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Request for info/data on Premiere usage
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>computer lab

I do NOT work for Adobe, so this is only based on reading forum messages

PPro is NOT designed to work in a network environment

You will need to have the program installed on each computer, and the video files will also need to be on the video drive (second drive, one drive does not work well)

Also, each user will require Administrator settings to run the program

• 3. Re: Request for info/data on Premiere usage
            TradeWind Level 3

John T Smith wrote:

>computer lab

I do NOT work for Adobe, so this is only based on reading forum messages

PPro is NOT designed to work in a network environment

You will need to have the program installed on each computer, and the video files will also need to be on the video drive (second drive, one drive does not work well)

Also, each user will require Administrator settings to run the program

For what it's worth, FCP7 doesn't work very well in a network environment either. Just ask the folks that worked to implement FCP7 at any major broadcast station and they'll be able to explain all the custom solutions and programming required to make it work like Avid.

Premiere Pro can (and does) work well in networked environments, just not as an out-of-the-box solution. Just ask the BBC. It's just not any better OR worse than a stock FCP7 (or FCPX) installation.

Avid MC does, of course, work quite nicely in a networked environment, but only so long as you have purchased the appropriate package from Avid. Just buying MC by itself doesn't do much. What you really want for all that is Symphony.

Sorry...didn't mean to derail the thread.

• 4. Re: Request for info/data on Premiere usage
              dradeke Adobe Employee

Well, I DO work for Adobe, so take my reply for what it is worth.

1 - Lots of content gets edited with Premiere Pro all of the time (and all other NLE's too).  For Premiere Pro, we have CNN, Hearst, BBC and others cutting news on it all the time.  For film, we have a number of pre-viz bits where Premiere Pro is used and Monsters (a feature) was cut on Premiere Pro entirely.  With FCP X doing what it does, more people are looking at Premiere Pro than ever before.

2 - Can't share it but I will say it all depends on how you count it. http://tv.adobe.com/watch/industry-trends/adobes-vision-for-professional-video/  The link here was in 2010 before FCP X.  Bottom line, I feel comfortable in asserting that we easily have the most share among all NLE's and it's growing at a prodigous rate.

3 - Any two NLE's will have their pluses and minuses. Here are some for Premiere Pro:

• Best overall performance on either Mac or PC platform due to being first to 64-bit and the only NLE that is really using the GPU well
              • True native workflows for everything.  AMA from Avid is a good step but it is still rewrapping in some cases (as I understand it)
              • Best file based workflow out there (new cameras where tape is not involved)
              • Best integrated workflow with products like After Effects, Photoshop, Encore, etc.
              • Open workflows including integrating with legacy FCP (XML) and Avid (AAF)
              • Much more FCP like than Avid (including FCP 7 keyboard shortcuts built in)
              • Adobe Media Encoder is what Compressor wished to be (fast, 64-bit, render in the background, exports all types of formats besides QT)

4 - There are lots of arguments for or against Production Premium vs. Avid Media Composer.  The simplest one for Production Premium is this - If you go with Avid, you will still need Photoshop and After Effects meaning that purchasing Production Premium and utilizing Premiere Pro is the best and safest way to go.

Finally, for a school, I believe that you should be teaching all of the major NLE's as a rule of thumb.  As we saw with FCP X, we don't know what the future holds, so preparing your students for all eventualities should be high on your list.

I hope this helps, and feel free to post more questions here.

Dennis - Adobe

• 5. Re: Request for info/data on Premiere usage
                TradeWind Level 3

Dad. Gum. Dennis laid it out.

The thing I push all the time when people are asking "why should I buy Creative Suite" (speaking purely of video folks here) and all I do is explain the cost savings when compared against buying Photoshop and After Effects individually. I don't know anyone who DOES NOT use Photoshop, and in video, I know very few people who DO NOT use After Effects or isn't attempting to learn it at a given time.

People should realize that buying the whole suite is kind of like "Buy Photoshop and After Effects and we'll give you Premiere Pro for FREE! But WAIT - that's not all! We'll even throw in Illustrator and Flash, and Adobe Media Encoder and Encore and Audition! But WAIT - that's not all! You'll also get OnLocation (while supplies last)."

Let's be honest....Photoshop is like the one app that 99.99% of all creatives need to have. After Effects is the one that probably 60-75% of video folks need. Encore is awfully handy if you still produce discs (there's not really a better solution for Blu-ray and DVD right now unless you're spending a lot more money). And Illustrator is pretty handy too, but not essential. Premiere Pro is making its case these days, but it really doesn't even need to be king of the hill to be a smart option in the Creative Suite. As a by-product of FCPX and to a lesser extent Avid's past 5 years, Premiere Pro is gaining rapidly. And once you've used it, it's like Dennis said - very similar to FCP7 so the learning curve is not insurmountable.

Didn't mean to leave AME out in the cold....as far as media encoders go, it's one of the best (again, unless you are talking about the very expensive Hollywood-studio-only encoders). AME holds up well in comparison to Sorenson Squeeze and Apple Compressor, which is pretty good when you consider that it's only available as a free app (for owners of Creative Suite). Squeeze and Compressor development is funded by more than just the Avid and FCP user bases (respectively) so you have to give AME credit for being awfully good by all measures.

Thanks for chiming in Dennis....always fun to see an Adobe employee laying out the facts and stating the case so plainly. Of course, you could have added "FCPX is a joke, who uses that junk?" and I personally wouldn't have been offended.

• 6. Re: Request for info/data on Premiere usage
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  • Adobe Media Encoder is what Compressor wished to be

Man, ain't that the truth.  I got stuck using a Mac once at a show and had to convert some video.  I've never seen such a mess of a program as Compressor.