5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2012 8:38 AM by artwire RSS

XP... was there a change in Shockwave in mid-Jan?

davidh12345

Was there an update to Shockwave in mid-Jan this year? I'm getting DCR errors reported since then ("unable to set property"), but nothing I can see has changed on my PC (XP 32 bit).

It's browser unrelated, since the self-same error occurs in both Chrome and Firefox. Using the Adobe uninstaller and then going for a fresh re-install does not fix the problem, any more than (temporarily) disabling all security/firewalls does.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions... I've done all the obvious things...

• 1. Re: XP... was there a change in Shockwave in mid-Jan?
          pwillener CommunityMVP

No, the latest Shockwave Player update was early Nov 2011, to 11.6.3.633.

What version do you have installed?  See http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

• 2. Re: XP... was there a change in Shockwave in mid-Jan?
            davidh12345 Community Member

I have 11.6.3.633 installed. Is this more liable to be a server-side error, with the error message being displayed on my local machine, or a local error that pops up within Shockwave here on my machine?

• 3. Re: XP... was there a change in Shockwave in mid-Jan?
              artwire

We just started getting reports of XP problems using some of our online interactives. Tried troubleshooting with the person and her tech support folks - tried reinstalling FULL installer, etc. but we were not successful. Sent them an offline version, instead, but I'm hoping this isn't a trend. They were using Firefox 10, so that may have been the culprit. I tried to get them to test in with Explorer, but they didn't use that browser. Since this all  started in mid-January, as well,  I figured I'd mention it here in case we have a pattern developing...  

• 4. Re: XP... was there a change in Shockwave in mid-Jan?
                davidh12345 Community Member

I've now seen this same issue in IE8, latest Firefox, latest Chrome and latest Opera, so I'm pretty darn confident it's not browser-related. It doesn't affect all Shockwave apps either, which makes it hard to pin down.

Did your supplying of an offline XP install solve your person's problem, just in case it's an issue with the online deliverable?

• 5. Re: XP... was there a change in Shockwave in mid-Jan?
                  artwire Community Member

We've already lost Safari access and Lion access .... I'm hoping XP isn't the next to fail.   Since it's only been a randomly reported problem, and others have successfully used our programs with XP, it may be tied to some other configuration issue with that user's school set up .

PS  We did not offer then an offline XP install -- I offered an offline (burned to CD) version of the Shockwave program that did not require a browser plug in. It was the projector file instead of the dcr.   Sorry if I wasn't clear about that. Kind of pathetic that to guarantee compatibility with the newer computers, we have to give them a cd, but so far, that seems to be working.