7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2015 9:12 PM by A.T. Romano

Why is Export Menu Dimmed?

the marketing guy Level 1

I have used the Share feature to successfully export a PrE 10 project, so that's great. I would also like to try the Export menu, say, for when I just want to select a specific file type (such as .mov) and don't want to hunt through all the Share items to find it (Computer/Quicktime).

When I go to File/Export, "Export" is dimmed. I'm sure there's a logical explanation for this. Anyone?

• 1. Re: Why is Export Menu Dimmed?
          nealeh Level 5

File> Export is only used for exporting Title files. Everything else is in the Share tab. Go to Share> Computer.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Why is Export Menu Dimmed?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As Neale points out, the traditional Export functions are all under Share. About the only thing that is now under Export is for Titles to be used as Templates, for other Projects.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Why is Export Menu Dimmed?
              smu johnson

What is a Title file?

• 4. Re: Why is Export Menu Dimmed?
                smu johnson Level 1

I'm glad the original author has asked this question.  Want the honest soapbox truth?  Whoever decided to dim this option is a fool and has zero clue how to properly design even the most simplest UI features.  There is simply no reason to dim options that anyone would normally expect to look for in places that seem obvious.  I'm starting to regret buying this program already after 10 minutes of using it.

• 5. Re: Why is Export Menu Dimmed?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

smu johnson

This is an older thread that you have posted in 2012 versus today January 1, 2015.

What version of Premiere Elements do you use and on what computer operating system is it running?

In the context of what was being discussed in the thread, the title file is

1. A "Title file" is a  text or text with embedded image file created in the program's Titler workspace, automatically placed on the

Timeline at the position of the Timeline Indicator, and exported with the project. If you want to use that specific "Title file" in another project,

then you have the opportunity to save it (File Menu/Export/Title) to the hard drive as a .prtl file to be imported when needed into a new project with the

program's Add Media/Files and Folders.

2. You might also consider the Title templates (.prtl) files that come with the program as "Title files". You do not create them in

the Titler yourself. They are pre-made but editable and are accessed from a workspace tab typically named Titles or Titles & Text depending on what version of the program you are using.

Please start you own new thread on your Titler issues if you need help preparing your titles for your Premiere Elements projects.

But, details please.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...Tip for future reference, select highlight the thumbnail for the Title file in the project media area before you try to use File Menu/

Export/Title. If you select highlight just the Title file on the Timeline, you are likely to get a grayed out Title in the File Menu/Export/Title route.

• 6. Re: Why is Export Menu Dimmed?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

smu johnson

I just saw your reply after I posted mine.

Please read my reply and the information on how to use the File Menu/Export/Title correctly.

The Title in File Menu/Export/Title is dimmed only when you are not using the feature correctly.

This can happen with other features of the program that are not used correctly.

I think that you are jumping to judgement with only 10 minutes of experience with whatever version

of Premiere Elements that you are using.

We would be glad for the opportunity to clarify your Premiere Elements workflows as you move along

the learning curve.

I do not work for Adobe. Nor am I affiliated with it in anyway. Just a user sharing Premiere Elements information

with another user of the program. And, I often write that the answers are in the details. Here, a case in point.

ATR

• 7. Re: Why is Export Menu Dimmed?
                      smu johnson Level 1

Thank you.

I appreciate the response as to what Title files are.  To answer your question: I use Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 7.

But, my support for the author's question still stands.  I'm simply ranting in hopes that somebody on the same side will listen, preferably one who works at Adobe with enough clout to change this ridiculous UI decision and make sure the previous job holder is never allowed to suggest ideas again.  As you have mentioned, the original post was from 2012... and yet after only using the software for 10 minutes I noticed the exact same thing, and it has nothing to do with what system it's running on.  Someone working there made a stupid UI decision and it stuck.  I know I'm not the only one who has noticed this as I have seen other threads with the exact same question, just worded differently.  I can't imagine how many people have noticed it too and didn't bother signing up to post about it.

• 8. Re: Why is Export Menu Dimmed?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

smu johnson

I am seeing your latest reply in my Inbox Email notifications, but your latest post in your thread has not shown up here for me to view and reply to.

But, I did want to get in the reply before calling it a day.

We the best for whatever your future video editing decisions are. I will not comment further on what you have already written. But, if you ever do want to revisit Premiere Elements, I would be glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

As for your money back for the product, maybe this information will help. If you purchased Premiere Elements 13 as a download from Adobe, then you can contact Adobe via Adobe Chat Orders to get your money back under the within 30 days of purchase. If you want to do that, click on the following link

http://helpx.adobe.com/sea/contact.html?step=PRE_membership-account-payment_payments-invoi ces-orders_stillNeedHelp

Premiere Elements

Membership, Account, Payment

Payments, Invoices, Orders

Chat Panel

If the link does not hold its set, then you will need to navigate to the Chat Panel using the above titles as guidelines.

If you purchased from an authorized reseller and not Adobe direct, then you will have to deal with the seller under the terms of the seller's return/refund policy.

ATR