2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2012 2:35 PM by jack53421

Getting black bars ontop of video with 960x720, but not with 1280x720 (4:3 video)

jack53421

I'm encoding a video for youtube using the settings that Grisetti and Cloudman suggest here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/623549?tstart=0

The results have been great, even for my 4:3 videos.  However, by using the 1280x720 suggested settings on my 4:3 videos, I realized that my Youtube videos have the side black bars encoded into the video (thus making youtube's thumbnails also have them)

All I want to do is keep the settings, yet re-encode my 4:3 video without the side bars.  As soon, as I switch the setting to 960x720, it still looks good but a sliver of black bar is added to the top and sides.  As mentioned, it doesn't do this at top when encoding at 1280x720. No other settings are changed. 

Many thanks for the help!

• 1. Re: Getting black bars ontop of video with 960x720, but not with 1280x720 (4:3 video)
          the_wine_snob Level 9

You are experiencing a mis-match between the Source Footage, and the Project's Preset. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

Now, for the mis-matched footage, you can Scale up your Clip on the Timeline, with the Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale. Unfortunately, if one just goes with Scale to Default Frame Size, the first dimension to fit, will leave the other unaddressed. You need to manually Scale the smaller Clips up (will slightly degrade the image), and let the Project's Frame Size effectively Crop. To adjust what is "cropped," you will want to use the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Getting black bars ontop of video with 960x720, but not with 1280x720 (4:3 video)
            jack53421 Level 1

Fantastic - thanks!  That solved part of the problem.  It turns out my source footage had the sliver of black around it all 4 sides.  I just did the Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale and it worked great.

However, the export through "share" as a 960x720 video creates a new sliver of black border on top only.  However, if I do 984x720, it works perfectly now.  Any idea why this might be?  My project settings are 720x480, so I'm puzzled why the perfect 4:3 of 960x720 isn't working, but 984 does.

thanks