28 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2014 9:12 AM by BeeVee23

Table of Contents Won't Generate

ruthadeliaquiles

I successfully generated a TOC in this one document I'm working on in InDesign CS5.5, but once I went to update it, it doesn't seem to want to pull any of my headings anymore. I have scoured the web to try to find this problem and I have recreated and regenerated the TOC several times. It just won't find my headings or generate any TOC body anymore. The title comes up and InDesign says it's updated, but there is nothing there.

I'm sure there is a really simple solution to this problem, but I just can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate
          lilia@ Level 2

oh my goodness... i'd have to say i may have the same issue... i started a new id book in cs5.5 and after the first chapter i tried the TOC and it didnt work... i figured i would 'look' at it later as i'm still upgrading it... hope its doable.

• 2. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate
            lilia@ Level 2

ok i found it LMAO

Layout > Table of contents

Make sure that Include Book Documents is TICKED

it worked for me... i knew it was no big issue, thats why i wasn't worried.

• 3. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate
              ruthadeliaquiles Level 1

Thanks for the tip. Oddly, the "Include Book Documents" option is greyed out on my screen. I have been fiddling with settings, but I can't seem to activate it.

• 4. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate
                lilia@ Level 2

i just created a brand new book (as a test) with 2 documents and the option was there... so try this...

- delete your TOC frame and do it from scratch again

• 5. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate
                  ruthadeliaquiles Level 1

Tried it. Here's what I realize has been happening:

I've been trying to create a TOC in the same document (I'm creating a short, simple handbook) as my content rather as separate documents combined and synchronized into a book. It worked once, but stopped working after I tried to update. I have checked and rechecked my paragraph styles.

This time I created a separate doc, put my TOC doc and my content doc into a book and synchronized. I tried creating the TOC again in the new doc, the Include Book Documents box WAS active, as you said. It looked like it would work...but then it didn't!!!

It seems like InDesign is just not finding the headers. Argh!

Thanks for your help.

• 6. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you sure it's looking for the correct styles? Among other possibilities is duplicate names (spelling and capitalization count).

• 7. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate
                      ruthadeliaquiles Level 1

I've been very careful with my style names...and in generating a TOC I'm picking from a list. I only have three heading levels in the entire document. I know there is probably an easy fix, but I can't think what else to do.

• 8. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate
                        JRPubcom

I got the same problem with CS3 and now with upgraded CS6.  Same dismal results.  No matter what I do for weeks now I have tried to bet the TOC to build, all I get is a title and a blank document.  And, if I build it in the document's story on page one it wipes out all of book's photos and sometimes all the text too.  This is a real problem I can't solve.  Need a professional to troubleshoot this.  I have built many TOC's in my books and never ran into this problem before.  The build refuses to "see" and "build" my paragraph styles as if the style's text were white, but text is black.  How am I going to get this to work?  I tried importing all styles from previous books.  I tried copy/paste a TOC from other books to jump start the page with zero results.  I have run out of ideas.  HELP.

• 9. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate

First and foremost, the TOC must be a separate story that is not threaded to other text.

Do you see a red plus sign in the lower right of your frame indicating overset text? Have you looked in the Story Editor to see exactly what is in the TOC? I'm sending you a link to upload the file, if you want to, and I'll take a look at it.

• 10. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate
                            JRPubcom Level 1

I got it to work now. 

I had to File/Copy/Paste then create a new document and select Paste Without Formatting and that cleaned up the corruption and the TOC builds perfectly now.

• 11. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate
                              GinnyB_CDM Smith

I'm having this same issue in CS5. I have checked and double-checked my TOC settings and am using the correct style names. It only wants to generate the 2nd and 3rd headings on one chapter and not in the others. Also, the text generated has a different font on one of the words and there are no character styles to override. Please help!

• 12. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate
                                ruthaqui

Okay, here is what ended up working (after much trial and error).

I accidentally merged the story containing the TOC with the story containing my content and updated the TOC. That's when everything went awry and no amount of redos would fix it. I ended up creating a new document and copying all the content into it. Then I created a new story and created a TOC.

Never joined the stories again and it's been regenerating just fine. Let me know if that makes sense.

• 13. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate
                                  GinnyB_CDM Smith Level 1

That's not the issue here. My book consists of my TOC and 10 separate tab documents. I have recreated the TOC document but it's still not working.

• 14. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate

Check the style names. Style names are case sensitive.

• 15. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate
                                      GinnyB_CDM Smith Level 1

I used the styles as listed in the TOC generator which match the case of the styles listed in Paragraph Styles.

• 16. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate

Please delete your personal info when replying by email. Everything is posted to the web.

Can you post this file someplace for examination? If you don't want to share withteh world you can send me a link by private message (click my name to go to my profile), or I can send you an upload link.

• 17. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate
                                          GinnyB_CDM Smith Level 1

Please send me an upload link.

Thanks.

• 18. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate
                                            JRPubcom Level 1

The ultimate cure for a stubborn table of contents that will not update or generate is this:

Open your document and delete the table of contents you already have and

save the document, then use the "select all" command to copy to your

clipboard, then close that file. 

Open a new document and paste the clipboard data into the new document (you may need to paste it into a text box), save the file with a new name and then build the table of contents.

What you did was fix a corrupted file that was causing TOC failures.  There

is no other cure for such corruption, but this advice works so you can

get back to work.

I know, as my TOC on a book would not build and nobody's advice cured the problem.  Just do what I did and you will have a fresh clean document once again.

[advertising content removed by moderator]

Message was edited by: Peter Spier

• 19. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate
                                              JRPubcom Level 1

The ultimate cure for a stubborn table of contents that will not update or generate is this:

Open your document and delete the table of contents you already have and

save the document, then use the "select all" command to copy to your

clipboard, then close that file. 

Open a new document and paste the clipboard data into the new document (you may need to paste it into a text box), save the file with a new name and then build the table of contents.

What you did was fix a corrupted file that was causing TOC failures.  There

is no other cure for such corruption, but this advice works so you can

get back to work.

I know, as my TOC on a book would not build and nobody's advice cured the problem.  Just do what I did and you will have a fresh clean document once again.

Question:  Why are there problems with the Table of Contents? 

Answer:

It must be a bug in the software or something we do that causes a

faulty command to be generated inside the TOC itself.  It is maddening

to try to build a new TOC when it is corrupted.  You just need to find a

method to copy your entire book document without copying any TOC

elements in the TOC page.  It is those TOC pages that cause the trouble. 

Question:  Can't I just drag and highlight the entire TOC pages and hit the delete button? 

Answer:

You can try it, but it never has worked for me.  For some reason that

procedure still leaves a deeply buried corrupted code in the document so

when you try to build a TOC again it will fail.  The method I use

works, but it took me dozens of hours to figure it out by trial and

error and nobody from Adobe could help me solve the problem.  Even a

In-Design college failed to help me.  I was afraid I was going to have

to build a TOC by hand as the corruption was relentless, but thank God

for His blessings.

[bad link removed]

PS: What if That Does Not Work?  Do this:

Delete

the TOC in the original document and save the file.  Close the file,

then reopen it.  This way any corruption commands in the TOC itself will

be removed (or most of it).  Now, instead of "select all" place your

mouse cursor in the first paragraph line below the Table of Contents. 

Put the cursor just one letter in (example in this paragraph put cursor

between D and e.  Now hold the right mouse button and scroll down all

the pages to select them (I know, it is a tedious task) until you get to

the end of the document.  It should all be highlighted, now select all

to copy it into the clipboard.  Close the file, open a new file and

paste the clipboard info into the new document (or into a text box if

need be).

[advertising content removed by moderator]

Message was edited by: Peter Spier

• 20. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate

James, I've looked at your other posts and I don't see that you actually got much advice to follow.

I find if an export to .idml doesn't clear up the corruption, exporting the story to InDesign Tagged Text often will, and it is sometimes sufficient to export the story to tagged text, import it back into the original document on the pasteboard, then delete the original story frames, copy the text from the story on the pasteboard, make a new frame wher the story should begin and paste. Now pick up the overset and auto-flow to create the rest of the frames.

• 21. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate
                                                  JRPubcom Level 1

I was submitting a solution for others, but yours is different procedure so I will save it.  Thanks.

• 22. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate
                                                    GinnyB_CDM Smith Level 1

Peter

Can you please resend the link to upload my problem files? I’m not sure what happened to the email you originally sent. I still want to figure this out but have been on deadlines.

Thanks.

Ginny B

• 23. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate

No problem. I wondered why I hadn't heard from you..

• 24. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate

I have the files and nothing is jumping out. I have to run out, but I'll dig deeper when I get back.

• 25. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate

It appears as if at least one text frame is damaged in the second document. I have the TOC working, I believe, by using the following procedure:

Export the story to InDesign Tagged Text, then place that story on the pasteboard for convenience (you probably don't need to do this, but I find a second trip through the clipboard never hurts). Just draw a small frame withthe loaded place cursor and let the stroy be almost entirely overset -- we'll pick it all up in a moment.

Go page by page and delete all the exisiting text frames for the story.

Go back to the placed tagged text, put the cursor into it and select all, then copy.

Go to the first page, draw a new text frame and put the cursor into it. Paste. (you probably could get away with simply placing the tagged text into this new frame). Switch to the Selection tool and pick up the overset text by clicking the red plus sign.

Move to page 2 and hold down the Alt key and click at the top of each column to flow into the next two columns, and repeat on the next pages until you have skipped over the last page that gets no text (a full page table), then you can hold down the shift Key to auto-flow to the end of the document.

I looked through the file history and I see this was originally a CS3 file, and that you need to update your CS5 to the latest version, 7.0.4. There are a number of bugs that got fixed, and I think some of them had to do with TOC.

In any case, it isn't clear to me where the damage came from. It may well have happened in the conversion from CS3 to CS5. We get reports from time to time of documents that seem ok for awhile after conversion, and then suddenly go south in some way. I personally recommend exporting CS3 files to .inx and opening that in CS5 for conversion rather than doing the direct file open. I've seen only one report of a failure using that method, and it had to do with a very obscure file condition most users would not create.

• 26. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate
                                                            GinnyB_CDM Smith Level 1

I’m very anxious to try out your solution, just need to get out from under this deadline crunch.

How can I determine if a file was originally a CS3 file? I use our corporate-established templates and don’t know the originating version (which doesn’t make sense since our company renamed, rebranded, and incorporated these templates at the beginning of this year and we’ve been on CS5 for a while now).

Again, thanks for all your help, Peter!

GinnyB_CDM Smith

• 27. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate

To view the file history hold down the Ctrl key while choosing About InDesign from the Help menu. A detailed dialog will open withthe full history in the lower left.

• 28. Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate
                                                                BeeVee23 Level 1

I have a similarly weird problem. Every time I update the ToC that is otherwise working fine across a whole book of about twenty documents it deletes all ToC pages apart from the first and gives me the text overflow icon in the lower right of the frame. I have to use Layout > Add Page, send the overflow there and then it builds the necessary additional pages. Doesn't take that long admittedly but it shouldn't even be necessary. It doesn't happen with the other two books I'm working on at the same time (for a software manual).

B