6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2012 9:17 AM by the_wine_snob

premiere crash when trying to save

Okay, so I just took the plunge and spent the big bucks on Adobe Premier. The first time I go to use it, I open the program and click the 'browse' button to import/open a video file. At that point, I am hit with "Sorry a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements to shut down." Thus it promptly crashes. The same thing happens every time that I try to open/import a video file. Really, it can't open a simple file without crashing?!! Outside of asking for my money back, does anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

• 1. Re: premiere crash when trying to save
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format is it?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select?

What operating system are you using? How fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have? If you have a Windows computer, have you manually gone to Windows Update to ensure you have even the non-critical updates (many of which are important drivers)? Have you installed the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements?

How much free, clean, defragmented space is on your C or main hard drive? Are you editing on your main drive or to a second or external drive?

And, of course, which version of the program are you running?

• 2. Re: premiere crash when trying to save
            the_wine_snob Level 9

You might want to look over this ARTICLE. It starts with a checklist for getting PrE to run best. Next, it goes into tuning up one's system and OS, and finally, goes into some troubleshooting techniques, with useful links.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: premiere crash when trying to save
              684321 Level 1

Okay, I have to edit my initial problem description. As it turns out, the crash doesn't happen when tying to import media into a project, it happens when trying to save the initial project. So, I open the program and am prompted with a window to name and save my project. I name the project. There's a button to save the project in a desired location. So I click 'save' to show the path and when I do this second task, it crashes. I never actually get 'into' the program. At that point, I am hit with "Sorry a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements to shut down." So I am unable to do anything except launch and crash the program. Finally, I get the 'tell Microsoft about this problem' window.

I am running the program on a new PC that runs like a champion. It is maintained and updated constantly with the newest updates through the company network. It has 199 GB or free space on the hard drive. I'm running the Windows XP version of Premier to match the OS (professional, version 2002, service pack 3). It has a Pentium Dual-Core CPU, E5800 @ 3.20 GHz, 3.19 GHz, 1.98 GB of RAM. I can imagine hardware being responsible for reduced performance but I can't imagine that hardware could be a cause for not being able to even start an initial project. For you experts, does this additional detailed info shed any light on my problem?

• 4. Re: premiere crash when trying to save
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Not so much. But it would be helpful if you'd answer the questions in my first post.

BTW, are you manually going to Windows Update and clicking Custom? This is the only way to get the non-critical updates that are not automatically installed and are usually missed by the team that updates your OS over your network.

Also note that there are issues with using Premiere Elements on a network. Unless your media files and saves are to your internal drive a nd NOT to your network you are going to have issues like the ones you describe.

• 5. Re: premiere crash when trying to save
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, it sounds like your computer is networked. Is that right?

If so, please let us know how the network plays into things, such as the physical location of your My Documents Folder, where you are creating the New Project to, etc..

PrE can have many problems in a networked environment, though there are often ways around those - if one has the right permissions, and locate certain files locally.

Sounds like you are getting the crashes at New Project.

Also, have your IT department insure that you have the very latest video and audio drivers, from either the mfgr's. Web site, or if you have a Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc., computer, from their Web site. Do not trust Windows to tell you if you have the latest drivers, as those will most likely be 6 - 12 mos. out of date, and they are very, very important. Also, update utilities will also be way out of date.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: premiere crash when trying to save
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

One last comment - that < 2GB of RAM is barely adequate to get the OS to run, and one will need to have Windows Virtual Memory set upo correctly, to carry the load. You might want to get IT to tell you how the Virtual Memory (Page File), is set up and managed.

Good luck,

Hunt