2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2012 5:27 PM by Noel Carboni

A Quick Dual Monitor Question.

Athenewins

Hi there everyone, first time poster here, Sorry if it's in the wrong place, just need some quick advice

I have an issue that in an ideal world either Photoshop or Illustrator would be able to do, i'll get straight to the point;

What I would like to be able to do is have two instances of a document open, although (through whichever program) I would also like them to update at the same time, sort of mirroring my first monitor, although with one change- Disable a single layer (in my case it's a template layer that I'll be drawing over). This means that I can see what I'm working on in high detail and with a template layer on one screen, and on the other screen a overview of the image (or still zoomed in, whichever would be possible) without the template layer.

Any ideas if this is currently possible? Or ideas that could make this work.

Thank you in advance for your time and effort Looking forward to hear from you all.

-Matt

• 1. Re: A Quick Dual Monitor Question.
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

It's no problem having the two images one on each monitor, but I am not sure about the mirroring thing.  If the remote image had a Smart Object as its top layer, and you double clicked the smart object layer, it will open an editable version of the smart object that you could drag to your main monitor.  Changes to image on your main monitor would not update the remote image in real time though, but all you'd need to do is Ctrl/Cmd s to save the edit which will cause the remote image to mirror the one you are editing.

I hope you understand that.  There may be a better way, and I may not be understanding what you are trying to do, so keep giving us more info.

• 2. Re: A Quick Dual Monitor Question.
            Noel Carboni Level 8

Some thoughts...

You can open two (or more) windows on the same document in Photoshop, and they update simultaneously.  Choose Window - Arrange - New Window for <your document>.

NewWindow.jpg

You can have them at different zoom levels, but you can't have them showing with different layers active, unfortunately.

Another idea is that the NAVIGATOR panel can show you an overview of your document all the while you're working.  I keep a NAVIGATOR open all the time.  Here's my desktop layout, if it can help you at all:

DualMonitorPSLayout.jpg

-Noel