13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2012 8:00 AM by NickBibbo

How to create this effect?

NickBibbo

Hi guys,

Would anyone of you know how to recreate this effect seen in this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J83aFBUEz3Q  From 0:10 - 0:26(the glowing ball).

Thanks! :-)

• 1. Re: How to create this effect?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

CC Sphere, some tracking, some lensflares and glow. Check Video Copilot's tutorials. Plenty to go on.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to create this effect?
            NickBibbo Level 1

Thanks! I believe that the ball is a real object wrapped or painted in green. Then the effects are added.

• 3. Re: How to create this effect?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Not necessarily. Could just as well be a glass paperweight. Not every kind of VFX requires song and dance with greenscreen or peopel doing funny things on camera...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: How to create this effect?
                NickBibbo Level 1

Ohh okay. I trust you. I'm brand new to After Effects. I do want to recreate that effect with an actual object my actor can hold then I add the effects later. For this video the crystal ball is green:https://vimeo.com/27763231

• 5. Re: How to create this effect?
                  bogiesan Level 4

No reason to have it green at all. It only needs to be trackable. Search for AE tutorials called stuff like Crystal Ball and CC Sphere. Creating the sphiere and tracking it into the shot is relatively simple. Dressing it up with flares and glows and smoke is fairly simple, too. Selling it, however, requires more effort beyond the construction of an effect. One of the details the filmmaker forgot is to have motivational lighting effects on the set. The illusion is far more believable if there is a light source that illuminates the face as the object is raised into the shot. A closeup would have helped, too. A shot where the orb is seen in the and the light produces a glint in the doomed man's eyes. That's just good storytelling, don't forget it.

• 6. Re: How to create this effect?
                    bogiesan Level 4

Those guys at Videocopilot are way ahead of their place in space and time. And they get paid to have a great time messing around with great tools and toys and most of ther better work is provided to us for free. You'll notice the practical lighting effect on the orb shot. Still, Andrew never really explains why it's green.

• 7. Re: How to create this effect?
                      NickBibbo Level 1

All very true points. Do you think this tutorial would be what I would need to follow? http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/glass_orbs/

• 8. Re: How to create this effect?
                        bogiesan Level 4

NickBibbo wrote:

All very true points. Do you think this tutorial would be what I would need to follow? http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/glass_orbs/

I don't see wh. Too much work, too much visual information and way too many steps to acieve an ultrarealistic sphere that interacts optically with its envirnoment. That's not what you are looking for unless your quest has changed since your OP:

> Would anyone of you know how to recreate this effect seen in this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J83aFBUEz3Q  From 0:10 - 0:26(the glowing ball).

<

You can simply shoot a practical glass sphere on a black table top stage (with a cutout so you can light it from the bottom) and then simply track that into your shot. Getting someone to blow a customized glass sphere for you is going to be more fun and (in real dollars) cheaper than trying to create it in AE. Note the effortless use of the term "simply."

• 9. Re: How to create this effect?
                          NickBibbo Level 1

Thanks for all your input so far.  I'm very new to the whole SFX thing.  I already have a real glass sphere, and I just shot a test video of me holding it. Now I just need to add the glow and lens flares? And do the motion tracking?

• 10. Re: How to create this effect?
                            bogiesan Level 4

Ahj, well, the craft of film special effects is a combination of practical objects, post production and the willingness of an audience to be deceived. And they all depend upon excellent planning which relies on lots of experience and the advice of those who have tried and failed before you.

None of those are easily learned in online tutorials.

Your glob in your hand is the object you need to track using Motion Tracking (or Mocha when you're ready for advanced work). You will create your flare and lighting effects and track them using the motion tracking data. You will composite them in front of or behind the globe in your hand depending on your ability to use masks 9and track them, too) and how well you designed your shot to accommodate your skills and support the needs of the effects you are going to be using. Tracking requires some practical stuff on the set like dots so the tracker has something to track. 

You may have more patience and a better ability to comprehend this stuff than I do but I'd say you're looking at about 40 hours of careful and frustrating work before you get something that you would want to show to someone lese. It will take you about 10 hours to discover the shortcomings of the test video and another three or four to decide what you need to do better and then to reshoot it.

Motion tacking is not difficult but the concepts are weird and the software balky. KNow this, failures of tracking are always attributable to user errors and bad footage.

All of the toolsyou will use in AE are supported by dozens of tutorials. However, since you're new, I'd strongly urge you to invest in a couple of books. Being able to read at your leisure AE instructions with lots of pretty color pictures is my favorite way to obsorb the theory. I watch online tutorials only after I've worked through the lessons in the books because that's the onoy way I know where the shortcuts and menus are located.

• 11. Re: How to create this effect?
                              NickBibbo Level 1

Wowzer........That's a lot to think about! I do however have loads of time on my hands to learn! Thanks for the tips so far! I better get started!

• 12. Re: How to create this effect?
                                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can think of no better place to start out in After Effects than right here.

Or, for something more in-depth (but also less free) check this out.