7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2013 11:03 PM by Faizuli RSS

PRE 10 and Logitech C920 WebCam

Shadow Wolf

Hi,

I have a Logitech C920 Webcam and have tried using it with Premier Elements 10. It shows up in the capture window (with the admonishment that it does not have device control), If I click on the 'capture' button, I receive a small dialog window that states "Drivers error". See pictures:

Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPG

With the Microsoft generic UVC drivers installed for  vidio, audio and composite usb, I can record but only in 4:3, not widescreen. The preview and the converted file (avi, mpeg, mpg4, mov, etc. is severly out of sync with the audio.

I have pinned this to the video driver by reinstalling the Logitech UVC drivers one by one for the audio, composite, and then the video usb. When I get to the video UVC, that is when the error occurs. In any event, all produce out of sync files. I also tried switching to HDV instead of DV and also the usb setting.

The webcam will capture with the Logitech software, but will not allow me to regulate frame rates or encoding. Presently, I am using NHC's Debut capture software, which allows for complete tailoring of the output.

Although this seems as the way to go, I dislike having to work with multiple projects and would prefer to just deal with one.

OnLocation does see the cam, but does not even see the webcam as being online.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. With webcams being more and more popular and getting to camcorder level of quality, Adobe should try to be more on top of this, seeing as facebook posting and the like are built into most of their programs.

• 1. Re: PRE 10 and Logitech C920 WebCam
          nealeh Community Member

I have the Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 (an older product) and capturing directly into PRE works fine. The Device Control message you see is correct because it doesn't apply to USB devices

• Have you installed the latest graphics and sound card drivers from the relevant manufacturer's web sites?
          • Have you downloaded the latest drivers for the webcam from Logitech?

2.png

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: PRE 10 and Logitech C920 WebCam
            Shadow Wolf Community Member

Yes on both accounts. I have a Dell XPS 15 with a 2 gig GeForce 540 descreet grpahics card.I loadedthe latest drivers from Laps2Go. They convert the inf files for the latest nvidia drivers so they work on laptops. Even with that, the original latest drivers from Dell would not work as well.

The driver for the cam is the drivers from Logitech directly. I even tried the C910 dirver and it did not work. The C920 driver includes the HD1080 encoder. That is the only difference.

It is Version 2.40 build 13.40.845. What is the version you are using? 2.30?

Thanks for the response. I would love to solve this, as I am sure others could benefit from it.

• 3. Re: PRE 10 and Logitech C920 WebCam
              nealeh Community Member

I'm on 13.30.1394.0:

2.png

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: PRE 10 and Logitech C920 WebCam

Thanks.

I tried that version too and had the same error dialog box. It may have something to do with the native H.264 encoder that is built into the webcam itself. As far as I know, no other webcam has this onboard, but may be supported through the software.

--

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them."

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

• 5. Re: PRE 10 and Logitech C920 WebCam
                  Torquer350

I have also had the exact same problem with the same webcam, although I've tried it on 2 different Windows 7 machines with the same results.  I have also had issues where video recorded using the Logitech webcam software on the C920 plays back fine in Windows but once imported into Premiere the audio is severely out of sync or plays back at an accelerated rate.

• 6. Re: PRE 10 and Logitech C920 WebCam

Hi Torquer350

At the present time. I have not had any success. As I only have 64-bit machines, I cannot say if the problem exists on 32-bit machines and using the 32-bit logitech drivers. As far as importing goes, I did not experiance any sync problems using the Logitech capture software. As the preview in PRE is machine hardware dependent, you would have to "Share" a finished capture to the hard drive in mpg or flash, etc. and then play it back to see if the sync problem is still there. That was my issue using the Microsoft UVC drivers. It was out of sync in both preview and finished file.

My successes have been with:

NCH Debut Video capture software http://www.nchsoftware.com/software/webcam.html. This is not free, but allows to save to all formats. If you turn off RightLight then you can record at HD 1080 at 30 frames per second. You can download a trial but it is $39.95 right now.

Windows Media Encoder 9 Series. Google for WMEncoder.exe. I downloaded mine from SoftPedia. This is free and will record wmv files. Here again, if you turn off the RightLight, you can record HD 720 at 30 fps. You use the 'capture audio and video' for a new session. From there, you can configure your capture (use high definition encoding). It is limited to only 10 minutes. But this does work to import into PRE.

I hope this helps somewhat.

--

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them."

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

• 7. Re: PRE 10 and Logitech C920 WebCam
                      Faizuli

Greetings,

I had the exact same error with the same camera and found that if I completely removed the Logitech software and drivers then I was able to use Premier with no problem. Not the best solution but I believe it's a conflict between the Logitech driver and the software that Adobe uses to natively support the camera hence the 'Driver error' message when the application tries to access the camera. A rather large downside is that it leaves you without camera control or the ability to adjust the video quality settings. But if you absolutely must use Premier then at least this will allow you to do so.