7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2012 12:52 PM by wjnp2000

How can I add space between words with ePub

ePubn00b Level 1

I am aware that when you extract a Indesign document to epub all the text gets left justified and pulled up.  I would like to know how to add space between two words.  I have tried kerning, and adding white space but once you extract to ePub these effects are lost.  I have figured out how to use the tool to indent and add a line space before and after a paragraph, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to keep spacing between words when you extract to ePub.  Any help or suggetions is MUCH appreciated.

• 1. Re: How can I add space between words with ePub
          wjnp2000 Level 2

Hi,

I found the same problem sometimes in tables.

I simply add simbols like "-" making the distance that I want and, set the color to white (white 'cause if I set to none this simbol turn visible again).

I hope helpful.

Wagner

• 2. Re: How can I add space between words with ePub
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You need to learn a bit about HTML and CSS if you're going to work on epubs. HTML has no support for multiple spaces and they are simply ignored and trying to fake it as wnjp2000 did will eventually bite you...hard.

Bob

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How can I add space between words with ePub
              ePubn00b Level 1

Thanks Bob,

This is the only problem that I am currently having when creating ePubs so far with Indesign.  Having to go in and edit HTML for every place I wanted extra spaces between words sounds ridiculous.  I guess it is what it is.  Maybe Indesign is not the best choice for creating ePubs?  Or is learning some more about HTML and CSS the only choice?  At first I was having problems just getting spaces between paragraphs but I found figured out the paragraph spacing tool in Indesign.  You would think adding something as simple as extra spaces would be an option when creating ePubs.  Maybe this is something that will be implemented in future versions of Indesign or some other software.

• 4. Re: How can I add space between words with ePub
                ePubn00b Level 1

Thanks Bob,

This is the only problem that I am currently having when creating ePubs so far with Indesign.  Having to go in and edit HTML for every place I wanted extra spaces between words sounds ridiculous.  I guess it is what it is.  Maybe Indesign is not the best choice for creating ePubs?  Or is learning some more about HTML and CSS the only choice?  At first I was having problems just getting spaces between paragraphs but I found figured out the paragraph spacing tool in Indesign.  You would think adding something as simple as extra spaces would be an option when creating ePubs.  Maybe this is something that will be implemented in future versions of Indesign or some other software.

• 5. Re: How can I add space between words with ePub
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It doesn’t matter what you create the epub with. This is a fact of life with HTML.

Trying to fine tune that kind of thing is an exercise in futility. Will you test at every font size and every font for all the ebook reader?

Take off your print design hat and learn to deal with the fact that you don’t have the same control…you’ll sleep better.

Bob

• 6. Re: How can I add space between words with ePub
                    [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

InDesign is NOT a "tool to creat epubs with". It is a tool to do graphic layout with, AND as a side function you can export some of the text, layout, or both, to a handful of formats that Adobe thought might be useful for re-purposing your graphic design and/or text. Export to RTF, for example, if you want to re-use your formatted text (but you'll lose the layout).

Exporting anything more than an EXTREMELY simple plain text document to e-pub, and then expecting something alike the original, only shows that you should read up on what's possible in an actual e-pub.

That said, if you still want to do this using InDesign, you *must* take notice of how ID converts its text to HTML, AS WELL AS how text is actually handled IN HTML. For example, your "multiple spaces" thingy -- which I don't understand anyway, as using more than one single space is a sign of either not knowing how to use the availale tools, or not caring about it anyway (both Bad in my experienced opinion) -- Can be simply done by using multiple non-breakable spaces. A non-breakable space is converted by InDesign to an nbsp entity, and those in turn will not be collapsed into one by any sane HTML viewing app.

• 7. Re: How can I add space between words with ePub
                      wjnp2000 Level 2

To increase spaces between lines you can increase MORE space before or after, I use 10 milimeters to seems like 2 mm in a epub.

And you can edit the epub after convert, in html, see programs that edit html, like Adobe dreamweaver, Sigil, etc.

The problem todays is that we are converting books done in InDesign to epub, will come the day that we'll do both, the book with ID and epub separately without pass in ID too.

I use that fake only in cases that I don't use tables, cause the conversion lost everything of ID do it good.

In ePub, is as Bob said: "Take off your print design hat..."

Wagner