20 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2012 1:15 PM by DebDesktop

Someone plz help me before I pull my hair out

BrittanyInSite Level 1

I am a brochure creator for a commercial real estate company and I am trying to redo our banner logo.

I have creted an image in photoshop and whenever I try to place it in indesign, it comes out rather blurry. I have tried to fix by clicking display performance --> high quality display, but my images are still blurry. Help.

Also, I just got Adobe CS5 on my comp. All of my old pagemaker and older photoshop files are all blurry in CS5.

Can anyone please help me find a way to make all of my images crisper when transfering them from photoshop to indesign.

Thanks a million

• 1. Re: Someone plz help me before I pull my hair out
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

First off, what are the dimensions and resolution of this image in Photoshop, and what size is it when placed in ID? (or just tell us what the "effective resolution" is when you select it in ID and open the Info Panel) Did you resample it in Photoshop?

What do you mean, exactly, that all of your old Pagemaker files and Photoshop files are blurry? Have links been moved? If the links are not up to date in the Pagemaker files, they won't work when opened in ID (nor will emebedded links, so you need to unembed thema nd make sure everything is kosher in PM before you convert in ID).

• 2. Re: Someone plz help me before I pull my hair out
            BrittanyInSite Level 1

The dimensions are:

519 pixels by 45 pixels or

7.208 in by 0.625 in.

The resolution is 72 pixels/inch

I'm not sure where to find the effective resolution in indesign, but i am not resizing it at all once I place it into InDesign. The size it is in Photoshop is the exact size I need it for InDesign, yet the image is still blurry.

What I mean about my Pagemaker and old Photoshop files is that when I open a Pagemaker file in my new InDesing CS5, most of the images are blurry when they were fine in Pagemaker. I got a whole new hard drive so Pagemaker no longer exists on my computer.

I have searche the forums to see how to sharpen an image. In Photoshop, the images look good, but when I place them in InDesign, they are looking blurry. Some I have to resize and some I don't but all of them end up looking different than they did before.

I'm somewhat new to Adobe CS5 and am having trouble figuring out the next step.

• 3. Re: Someone plz help me before I pull my hair out

Effective resolution is listed inthe Info panel, and probably in the link inofrmation if you select the link, but if you haven't scaled the image in ID, its the same as the saved resolution in Photoshop, in this case 72 ppi, which is way too low for printing a continuous tone image like a photograph. What does this banner look like?

As far as general blurriness of previews in ID, it's a lttle hard to know waht you mean. Do you really mean blurry, as in "not sharp" or do you mean pixelated as in a low resolution preview? Sounds more like the latter if they are sharp in Photoshop. The cure for that is to use High Quality Display (you can set it as the default in the prefs, and check to be sure it hasn't been edited to reduce the fidelity), which you say is not working. It could be that you need to trash your prefs, see Replace Your Preferences

As far as Pagemaker, once you've solved any general preview problem so you can tell if there is still a specific problem in an old file, I've alread explained the limitations of opening PM files in ID. If you need to fix them in PM first, then you need to install PM to do it.

• 4. Re: Someone plz help me before I pull my hair out

Let me add that converting PM files can range anywhere from near perfect to it would be faster to start over in ID, but most seem to fall more towards the "needs a lot of work" end of the spectrum and I rarely bother to try with a small project.

• 5. Re: Someone plz help me before I pull my hair out
                  BrittanyInSite Level 1

2012-02-09_1318.jpg

This is the image from a screenshot I took in photoshop. When I insert this into indesign it looks like this:

2012-02-09_1320-2.jpg

As you can see the image (especially the text) looked somewhat pixilated. I'm not sure how to make this correction

• 6. Re: Someone plz help me before I pull my hair out

In photoshop, the resolution is irrelevant. You always see the same pixels. That's not the case with InDesign.

You have two problems going on here, and they are related (three, actually, if you count that this kind of logo should probzbly be created in Illustrator, not Photoshop, to begin with). When you set text in Photoshop and save as almost any format, other than Photoshop PDF your text will either be rasterized when the file is flattened (for things like JPEG), or on import to ID (for layered Photoshop). Rasterizing is death to crisp text. Anthing other than pure horizontal or pure vertal edges need to be stair-stepped to change direction (becasue pixels are square and you can't use half a pixel). In this case, you only have 27 pixels in each inch of your file, so they are easily visible to the naked eye, and edges look pretty jaggy or lose their curvature altogether. To prevent rasterizing your text and other vectors, leave type and vector layers live, save as Photoshop PDF and place that in ID.

There is really nothing in this banner that requires photoshop, though, unless you are adding noise to the gradient. You could easily do the whole thing in Illustrator (and save as either .ai or PDF) or even just do the whole thing directly in ID. As a vector object it would be completley scalable without loss of quality.

• 7. Re: Someone plz help me before I pull my hair out
                      BrittanyInSite Level 1

I appreciate the help. However, I have completely zero experience in illustrator. Don't even know where to begin! I opened the file in illustrator and I'll try to play around with it. Any links to quick guides to help me with creating this banner? Or are there just a few easy steps? Do I have to completely recreate it?

• 8. Re: Someone plz help me before I pull my hair out

You can use the photoshop file as a template, but you have to reubuild all the elements in Illustrator.  Gradients are not too hard, and the rest looks mostly like type, so this isn't an enormopus project, but you might want to get some help from an experienced user, or post in the Illustraor forum for som help in how to do it.

• 9. Re: Someone plz help me before I pull my hair out

Of course, if you still have a layered version in Photoshop with live type, you can try saving as Photoshop PDF nad see how that works. I suspect it might actually bee OK since the only thing raster would be the gradient, whcih has no details.

• 10. Re: Someone plz help me before I pull my hair out
                            lilia@ Level 2

BrittanyInSite wrote:

I appreciate the help. However, I have completely zero experience in illustrator. Don't even know where to begin! I opened the file in illustrator and I'll try to play around with it. Any links to quick guides to help me with creating this banner? Or are there just a few easy steps? Do I have to completely recreate it?

Brittany, It's quite easy to recreate... hopefully you have a layered PS file.

I would suggest removing the gradient for reproduction in Illustsrator.

Once you have just the type... In Illustrator go to: Object > Trace...

and in here there are options for tracing various things... play with it until you get what you need.

However here's a tip, your original remains in the background and needs to be deleted.

I create a new layer and then move my newly created vector to this layer and trash the other one.

Other than that you can send it to me and I can do it for you.

• 11. Re: Someone plz help me before I pull my hair out
                              Bo LeBeau Level 4

Was this banner from one of your web sites?

There is a slightly similar banner at the top of: www.insiterealty.com

Images taken from a website are always lower resolution and will print like crap.

You need approximately 300 ppi (pixels per inch) but your image is only 72 ppi.

NO, upsampling in Photoshop will not solve this issue. Photoshop can't create detail out of thin air.

Perhaps you could ask around, I'm sure that someone in the company has access to a higher resolution or even a vector version.

When they get business cards or other material printed, do they look good?

If so, they are using a hi-res or vector version. Get this and place in InDesign and you should be ok.

But when asking you must explain that you need a hi-resolution or vector logo or else someone will just give you a lo-res logo and then you are back to square one.

Hopefully when they gave you the old Pagemaker files they also gave the linked graphic files.

If the linked files are missing you are probably out of luck since InDesign like Pagemaker needs the linked images to print out clearly.

If you do have the files, you may have to relink then via the Links Panel.

Peter has already mentioned about the High-Quality Display setting in InDesign.

Please don't get upset, but a bit of advice would be to get a book on InDesign.

If you were unaware of the problem with printing low-resolution images, there are probably more things you also need to learn,

You are dealing with a lot more work and frustration when you don't understand the issues imvolved.

Good luck!

• 12. Re: Someone plz help me before I pull my hair out
                                BrittanyInSite Level 1

I appreciate the help once again. I created the banner off photoshop, I didn't get the banner from the website. I am aware that I am still learning and do have a book for both photoshop and indesign! I am asking around about the business cards (that's a good idea). I do have all of the graphic files still that were used in the pagemaker docs which is good. I'm just also unsure as to why they seem pixelated in indesign when I place them in the doc. I would do the same thing in pagemaker and they came out much more clear.

• 13. Re: Someone plz help me before I pull my hair out

I would ABSOLUTELY NOT try to trace this in Illustrator. You won't get smooth type (and becasue you won't get real type at all) and you won't get the "hinting" that comes with real type and makes it look good.

• 14. Re: Someone plz help me before I pull my hair out
                                    lilia@ Level 2

Peter, that depends on how good you are or I say I am

• 15. Re: Someone plz help me before I pull my hair out

I don't care how good you are. Traced type is never as good as real type, and it's a whole lot more work. And in this case it looks as if the type is alreay badly mangled, so you would'n have a good starting point.

• 16. Re: Someone plz help me before I pull my hair out
                                        lilia@ Level 2

I agree re: real type... but we don't always have that option... especially if we don't have the typeface.

• 17. Re: Someone plz help me before I pull my hair out

Purchasing a font is usually still a better option.

• 18. Re: Someone plz help me before I pull my hair out
                                            Bo LeBeau Level 4

Brittany,

In InDesign go to Preferences, Display Performance, and select High Quality.

In the photo below you can see the difference between Typical (left side) and High Quality (right side)

You will need to click the photo in the forum and it will expand to a larger size to better show the differences.

display.jpg

• 19. Re: Someone plz help me before I pull my hair out
                                              RZAGZAODB

On In Design have you tried - view- print overview?

• 20. Re: Someone plz help me before I pull my hair out
                                                DebDesktop

Thank you! I never had Overprint Preview checked in InD 4, but checking it in InD 5.5 solved the onscreen image display problem I also was having after upgrading.