9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2012 7:13 AM by tangledbliss

Still images get mixed - Premiere elements 9

tangledbliss

I make a series of say 3 or 4 still jpg images as titles for my movie. All with identical background but with different text. When I drag them to the timeline the first one persists but the others in the sequence will not show when I play them in the preview window. This does not happen if the images are completley different. Renaming the files has no effect. What is happening?

• 1. Re: Still images get mixed - Premiere elements 9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, you should ensure that any photo you use in Premiere Elements is no larger than 1000x750 pixels (72 ppi).

Then, once you've added your photos to your timeline, press Enter so that they can render (the red lines above them on the timeline will turn green) before you play them back.

• 2. Re: Still images get mixed - Premiere elements 9
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Can you list the steps that you are using to work with those images? Are they just Still Images, or they been added to a Title, as a graphic?

What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of those JPEG? They should be identical, or only slightly larger, than the Frame Size of the Project, say 1920 x 1080.

Could you please post a screen-shot of your Timeline, with those JPEG's, and the Text visible, and the CTI (Current Time Indicator w/ the red Edit Line / Playhead) showing one, and the Program Monitor visible?

I think that I know what is happening, but need a bit more detail.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Still images get mixed - Premiere elements 9
              tangledbliss Level 1

Steve,

I reduced the size from 1400 wide to 1000 on all of the images and it did the trick straight away.  I didnt know there was a maximum still image size and  I am sure I have got away with putting in images of all sorts of sizes before. Maybe it doesn,t matter if they are on their own.

Anyway Thanks again

Geoff ( Tangledbliss)

• 4. Re: Still images get mixed - Premiere elements 9
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Lots more helpful tips like that in my books, if you're interested, George. They could save a trip to the forum every time the program does something that doesn't make sense!

http://Muvipix.com/pe10.php

• 5. Re: Still images get mixed - Premiere elements 9
                  tangledbliss Level 1

Bill,

This is my first ever post to this forum, and 2 replies so quick and so helpful. The image size alteration seems to have resolved the problem (fingers crossed) so I will leave sending screenshots for now,  but  thanks so much anyway.

Geoff ( Tangledbliss)

• 6. Re: Still images get mixed - Premiere elements 9
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Geoff,

Great news!

There is a max. Still Image size in PrE. It was 4096 x 4096 pixels, and I have not heard that has changed.

However, there are two additional considerations:

• Scaling in PrE is not the best. PS, or PSE, will have better Scaling algorithms, and quality will be better.
                    • Each extra pixel  exacts a toll on the resources, so it does not take too many, before the computer grinds to a halt. For that reason, I always Scale (and even Crop) in Photoshop, prior to Import. I find no use in processing unnecessary pixels.

Glad that you found the key, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Still images get mixed - Premiere elements 9
                      tangledbliss Level 1

Bill,

Your original advice seemed to sort the problem. I just reduced the images in size and it all worked. Now I have hit the same problem with a fresh project and smaller images. They go into the timeline with the correct filename but each only shows the image of the first in the series. They are just jpgs produced in Photoshop Elements.

Any ideas - screen shot attached.

GeoffTitle Sequence.jpg

• 8. Re: Still images get mixed - Premiere elements 9
                        N9JCR Level 2

The tmeline by default only shows the beginning and ending image in each clip.  You can click on the tiny film strip to the left of "video 1" and that will change the behavior but I find that it really slows down the presentation of all the tiny images.  I usually leave it like you have it now but of course that is personal preference.

Bob

• 9. Re: Still images get mixed - Premiere elements 9
                          tangledbliss Level 1

Bob,

I understand what you mean about the appearance of movie clips in the timeline, I don’t think that is the problem. With every other video editor I have used if I drag a number of still images into the timeline they will all behave like separate clips for however longer I want them and they will each show up in the timeline and in the preview window as I scrub along. At the moment instead of a mini movie of 4 still images I get a movie of the first image in the line repeated for times. The other image files are named in the timelinebut cannot be viewed in the edit and they don’t appear in the saved movie I am doing something wrong somewhere.

Geoff

.From: N9JCR

Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 2:49 PM

To: tangledbliss

Subject: Still images get mixed - Premiere elements 9

Re: Still images get mixed - Premiere elements 9

created by N9JCR in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion