11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2012 12:44 PM by Steve Grisetti

How can I transfer some or all Disc Menu templates from PrE7 to PrE9

head spin Level 1

I have seen various versions of peopIe swapping templates from one program to another, but didn't see my scenario covered.  I have both Premiere Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 9 and I like the Disc Menu templates better from PrE7 better than PrE9. I am not needing to copy any text or Instant Movie stuff at this point in time. Is there a simple way to copy/paste some or all of the Disc Menu Templates from the 7 folder to the 9 folder?

• 1. Re: How can I transfer some or all Disc Menu templates from PrE7 to PrE9
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This would be done in Windows Explorer. Ideally, I would have two instances of that opened, so that I could see the Library folders/sub-folders of each version.

You will note that many (most?) of those sub-folders is the same, but there might be some differences in the actual Menu Set files, inside each. Historically, Adobe keeps most, as they are, but from time to time, will add a couple, or retire a couple. It appears that they also reworked a few from PrE 9 to PrE 10.

I would not overwrite any of the files, in the version that you plan on using, but would instead create addittional sub-folders (note the naming conventions), and just Copy the sub-folder contents from one version, into the new sub-folder in the other. Copy ALL files, as the PNG's are for the thumbnail display, then for Templates, there will be possibly Audio and Video Assets too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How can I transfer some or all Disc Menu templates from PrE7 to PrE9
            head spin Level 1

Thanks Bill,

Not wanting to be too stupid but it looks like I can just to the copy paste thing. When I have the explorer windows side by side things look identical even in sub-sub folders. Looks like Adobe just elected not to put all of the templates in PrE9 for some reason. Essentially I would just end up with the same identical set of templates as Pre7 has. I don't know if anyone else has PrE 7 or 8 or 9 all installed (or at least 2 versions, don't know about 10) with more savvy than I have, and tell me if I am misunderstanding. Or if someone from Adobe can tell us why these were left out.

Thanks again

• 3. Re: How can I transfer some or all Disc Menu templates from PrE7 to PrE9
              nealeh Level 5

Just do it and try them, it won't cause any damage. BUT, as Bill said, do NOT overwrite the v9 templates with the v7 versions where they exist in both versions - only copy the missing ones.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: How can I transfer some or all Disc Menu templates from PrE7 to PrE9
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The bulk of the Meus ARE the same. In some cases, a certain Menu might get retired, and with PrE 10, it appears that some got a "tweak," but the file names are probably still the same.

I would create a new Folder in your later version, named something like "PrE_7", and then just Copy the entire earlier version's tree of Menus to that. In your Create Menu Tab (obviously relaunch PrE AFTER you Copy those folders over), you should see "PrE_7" in the drop-down list, and then should see the Menus in their catagories, below that. Check them all out. If they ARE identical, then just Delete that PrE_7 folder, and all of its sub-folders.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How can I transfer some or all Disc Menu templates from PrE7 to PrE9
                  head spin Level 1

Thanks guys,

If no one had responded to my post, I was going to go with the way Nealeh suggested, and is the way to go I think if you only want to move one or a few menus over.

I think I get the gist of it now. I wasn't going to overwrite anything, only add the missing subfolders in each category. So now I have 2 options, and I had thought of Bill's idea also (or thought that might be what he was saying). So along with say General, Entertainment, Memories, etc in the disc menu categories I would have one that said PrE7 and once i opened that up I would have a complete list of categories and subcategories used in PrE7.

This might be simpler since I wouldn't have to go into each category and copy them over. Because it would also duplicate the menus in PrE9 (the ones that are in both versions), I should be able to work totally out of the new folder. Interesting. Then, if there are glitches, I wouldn't have remember what was in each program before I started. Because I am probably only going to use a few of any of the menus it's probably overkill, but safer. Then over a period of time a guy could refine things and just transfer over the ones he wants to keep and like Bill says, delete the PrE7 new folder. I'm probably not going to do this for a few days, but I think you guys have answered my question.

Thanks again

• 6. Re: How can I transfer some or all Disc Menu templates from PrE7 to PrE9
                    head spin Level 1

Bill and Neale,

Had to try these theories we were talking about. Things went wonky when I created the PrE7 complete folder and inserted in PrE9. The PrE7 folder showed up in the disc menu dropdown list, but when I clicked on it I only got blank menu boxes. So back into windows explorer and deleted the folder I created (2.44 GB worth of menus) and just copied one folder over. From Entertainment, the Drive In Disc menu. That one shows up, seemingly correctly, in PrE9 Entertainment folder. I am enclosing a pic of folders side by side, and you can see how many more menus are in PrE7, just in Entertainment.

Combo pic Disc menus.JPG

You can see the Drive In menu in both folders, in both programs. I haven't outputted anything with the menu yet. Hopefully it works. So, maybe just moving whatever menus a person likes from one program to another, instead of the complete 2.44 GB will work. But one more question comes up. I notice some of the folders have an (A) in front, or an (AV) or (V). I clicked into some of the other folders ie: General, Happy Birthday,Holidays and Events, and some folders they aren't used at all, and other folders are various combinations of one or all. Anybody know what they mean?

Also of note. The menu tree in PrE7 goes directly from DVD Templates to the menu folders. The menu tree in PrE9 has the menu folders in a common folder. Anybody see the reasoning of this?

Thanks again

• 7. Re: How can I transfer some or all Disc Menu templates from PrE7 to PrE9
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Did you Copy the ENTIRE contents of those sub-folders, including the PNG Images? Those are the thumbnails that one sees in the Create Menus Library Panel.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: How can I transfer some or all Disc Menu templates from PrE7 to PrE9
                        head spin Level 1

Thanks Bill,

My procedure was as follows: I had both programs opened up in 2 separate windows. I right click on common in PrE9 DVD Templates folder, select new folder and name it PrE7 Templates. It then showed up with Entertainment, General, Happy Birthday, etc. but down the list in alphabtical order. Then I hit "organize" in the PrE7 window and "select all" on all the folders (Entertainment, General, Happy Birthday, etc) and copy/paste into the new PrE7 Templates folder I made in PrE9. (2.44 GB of menus)

I shut down my computer, restarted, and when things had settled down opened up PrE9. When I checked in the disc menus, there was my new folder in with Entertainment, etc. I clicked on the new folder and got windows like there ought to be menus there, but they were blank. I restarted the computer again, but with the same result. Hope this procedure makes sense.

Thanks for your time.

• 9. Re: How can I transfer some or all Disc Menu templates from PrE7 to PrE9
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

That is odd, because if the PNG files (the thumbnails) are there, you should see them. Now, I have only created my Menus and their PNG's, and all are in my "Hunt Menus" sub-folder. I wonder if the path is too long? Maybe someone else will have an idea.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: How can I transfer some or all Disc Menu templates from PrE7 to PrE9
                            head spin Level 1

Team,

Found this page in Adobe website. http://www.adobe.com/special/premiereel/downloads/  Maybe there are people who are interested in some of these themes, templates, etc. Don't know what all is in them yet. Covers PrE7 to 10 versions. I am sure some of you guys have seen them and forgot they are there. Or maybe they aren't worth downloading. Don't know. Anyway for what it's worth,they are there.

• 11. Re: How can I transfer some or all Disc Menu templates from PrE7 to PrE9
                              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is the additional content that comes free with current versions of the program, head.