14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 7:24 AM by Peter Spier

Files not linking correctly

Canonboy2010

So kind of a weird issue. I have a folder called "Project" inside that folder is the indesign file then a "links" folder that contatins jpgs/eps etc...

Now when I decided to copy the entire "Project" folder to the desktop then opened the indesign file in there... for some reason all the links were still pointing to the orginal version instead of the files links in the duplicated version. On co workers computer this isnt' happening but mine it is? Anyone have a clue what's going on here??? Any help wold be awesome!!!

• 1. Re: Files not linking correctly
          Canonboy2010 Level 1

Oh and I'm using indesign 5.5 on a mac

• 2. Re: Files not linking correctly
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This is 100% expected behavior.

In ID the lingks are absolute, so if you move the file ID will continue to look at the saved link location. If it cannot find the links there, as on your colleagues system, it will then start to search in the folder where the .indd file is located, and in subfolders of that folder.

On your system, if you want to use the links in a new location you must move them away from the old location (or rename the folder in the old location) so they cannot be found. 

• 3. Re: Files not linking correctly
              Christopher_Engelhardt Level 1

So when you open the document does it say that there are broken links? I don't follow. If the links are broken just update the links and you're good.

• 4. Re: Files not linking correctly
                Canonboy2010 Level 1

No links aren't broken they're just pointing to the other version instead of the copied version i made on the desktop.

• 5. Re: Files not linking correctly
                  Christopher_Engelhardt Level 1

Okay then, do you need the files in their original location?

• 6. Re: Files not linking correctly
                    Grant H Level 4

just relink to that folder, select the links in the links panel, click relink, browse to the new folder. It should relink them all.

Future: Either pakage the document or,

select all the links, in the panel flyout click utilities>copy links to (new folder) and then move the ID document. you can do that now too... copy links to new folder, overwrite the older links

G

• 7. Re: Files not linking correctly
                      jocstone_me Level 1

in your Links Panel, select all your images, then use the panel menu and choose "Relink to folder..." then select the folder where your images are, in this case, your Links folder on your desktop.

now all your links should point to your new folder.

• 8. Re: Files not linking correctly

I think you all have missed the point here.

Sure, you can relink to folder, or you can package and have ID rewrite the links to the package folder, but that has nothing to do with HOW links work. If you COPY a .indd file to a new folder it keeps the same links, so neither of those suggestions will make any difference on the same machine UNLESS the link paths EMBEDDED in the file cannot be found.

Packaging works for MOVING a project to a new location because it takes the links along, and since the old locations are no longer accessible ID starts to look for them in the current directory. Relink to folder would only work if the the relinked folder also happened to be in the same directory as the ID file, and the two are moved together (essentially doing an artificial "package"). As long as ID is able to see links in the original locations, it will use them. On the same machine, either option can be used to create a copy with new link locations (and package is easier), but if you copy the folder again to another location on the same machine you just recreate the problem.

• 9. Re: Files not linking correctly
                          Grant H Level 4

so neither of those suggestions will make any difference on the same machine UNLESS the link paths EMBEDDED in the file cannot be found.

might not be getting u correctly but: even if the links are not broken, but you want to relink to a copy of the image/links folder somewhere else, if you select the links in the links panel and click relink, browse to new folder, ID finds them and relinks..

G

• 10. Re: Files not linking correctly

That's correct. But if you subsequently copy the file and put the copy in a new location, and copy the folder of links that you jsut relinked to, and put that copy into a new location also, the new copy of the file willnot use the new copy of the links folder.

The OP wanted to know why his copied file wasn't automatically using a new links location when he copied everything, and the answer is because that's not how the program works. Relink to folder is fine, but it requires the user to actually do it -- it's not something that is going to happen automatically, so users need to understand the underlying method that ID uses to keep track of links or they will be editing the wrong versions, or perhaps packaging the wrong versions for handoff.

• 11. Re: Files not linking correctly
                              Grant H Level 4

yes i suppose his question is a "why" not a "how do i fix it, do it it the future"...

G

• 12. Re: Files not linking correctly
                                Canonboy2010 Level 1

Tear... so this is normal what's happening? This is frustrating because i work on several different files and some of the files share say a "logo" that's kept in logo folder somewhere. So no i need to have a version of that logo in every single folder within my main ID document which is annoying if I say change the logo I'll have to remember to place it back in all the folders.

• 13. Re: Files not linking correctly
                                  Grant H Level 4

to be honest, you need to address your workflow...

If the logo needs to be unique to a document (ie a colour change), then it better to have a copy of it and linked in that document relative folder.  If it will be a global change (ie a new tag line) have it in a common folder. If you change a common linked file and its linked in multiple documents then all those documents will update on command when opening the ID Doc. Each project will require a tweak or more in thw workflow you adopt and how the folder/structure needs to be.

Brush up on workflow and file structure norms.

G

• 14. Re: Files not linking correctly

Canonboy2010 wrote:

Tear... so this is normal what's happening? This is frustrating because i work on several different files and some of the files share say a "logo" that's kept in logo folder somewhere. So no i need to have a version of that logo in every single folder within my main ID document which is annoying if I say change the logo I'll have to remember to place it back in all the folders.

I don't understand what you are saying, at all. If you need to use a common element, such as a logo, you should store exactly one copy someplace and link to that. I never store ANY links in the same folder as the .indd file if I think they are going to be used in another file in the future, but I work alone. In a collaborative workflow where each user needs to have copies of links (because you can't, for some reason, store them on a network location acessible to all [and lots of people are now using DropBox for this]), then it's inevitable that some link repalcement is going to be necessary, but it's still probably better to to have only one copy in each location.