6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2012 8:53 AM by the_wine_snob

How do you change the way Adobe Premiere Elements 10 looks?

mobon Level 1

How do you change the way Adobe Premiere Elements 10 looks? - the program itself

Hi all

It may seem a stupid question, but after 10/15 minutes looking and searching - I could not find out how!

I hope you can.

Thanks

M

PS why Adobe Programs [Photoshop/Premiere,etc.] always have the tendency to open at full screen and lock the auro-taskbar too in W7 and need to tap on the Windows Key to get the taskbar popping-up? No other program I have does that - strange. Also when I adjust the program windo size, every time I re-run the programs it opens at full screen again.

• 1. Re: How do you change the way Adobe Premiere Elements 10 looks?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What aspect of how the program looks do you want to change, M? You can't change the color of the interface or text, if that's what you're asking.

• 2. Re: How do you change the way Adobe Premiere Elements 10 looks?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the answer to Steve's question, you can make some changes, such as brightness and contrast, and you can also re-arrange some of the Panels. You need to choose Show Docking Headers first, and then some of the Panels can be dragged about. Note: the Timeline Panel is fixed, so you cannot move it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How do you change the way Adobe Premiere Elements 10 looks?
              mobon Level 1

Thanks for your input - always appreciated.

Not surprised there.

It seems purchased a standard programme disguised as a cousin of its PRO one and I could have kept the version 7 and saved my hard earned cash.

I wonder what the PRO one is disguised from !

Sorry to be sarcastic, but I can see this programme is just a waste of money and the $49 one would have done the same job.

• 4. Re: How do you change the way Adobe Premiere Elements 10 looks?
                mobon Level 1

Thanks for your continued expert support.

I believe you mentioned you have the PRO version too?

What is the 'real' difference?

Regards

M

• 5. Re: How do you change the way Adobe Premiere Elements 10 looks?
                  mobon Level 1

... you can make some changes, such as brightness and contrast ...

How?

Thanks

M

• 6. Re: How do you change the way Adobe Premiere Elements 10 looks?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Going back in history (that "Way Back Machine" is useful here), PrE up through version 3.0, was much closer in look to PrPro (about version 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0). Things worked pretty much the same, but with many omissions - after all, there SHOULD be differences between a $ 100 program, and a $ 600 program. Then, with PrE 4.0, the GUI got a major makeover, with a streamlined look and feel. This was done because the PrE developers tested and found that many users were intimidated by the more "technical" interface. Also, the competition, such as Pinnacle Studio, CyberLink's PowerDirector and others, were going with "big button" GUI's, where much was hidden from the user, and was handled by Presets for "one touch" editing. Some liked it, but some did not. As time passed, the "streamlining" continued, and the "look" of PrE got further from that of PrPro. Remember, they are really for different segments of the market. PrE is more for the consumer, hobbyist, while PrPro is aimed more at the pro editing market. Different program for different folk.

PrPro has really undergone one "facelift" and it was not much. Between PrPro 2.0, and CS 3, the developers went from a light gray field, to a darker field, to more closely match some of that program's competition - dark gray for the darkened editing suite. Personally, I like the GUI of PrPro 2.0 better than any in PrE, since 3.0, and in PrPro since CS 3, but that is just me.

Now, because it is often run on a multi-monitor configuration, PrPro offers a lot more adaptability, with lots of included Workspaces, and also the ability to heavily customize the Workspace and save many variations. I have four custom Workspaces, that I use often on my dual-monitor system. The majority of PrE users do not have multi-monitors, do not have calibrated Broadcast monitors, and are not doing broadcast work, so there are far fewer customizations available with the consumer program. That does not mean that there are not any PrE users, who are doing professional work, just that they are in the minority.

The more that Adobe streamlines the PrE GUI, the less I like it, but remember, I think that PrPro 2.0 was the epitome of a good, pro-level GUI.

I like the "technical" interface, with few "big buttons," and great control over manual operations, like Keyframing of Effects. Though PrPro has some Presets, other than custom ones for groups of Effects, etc., I seldom use those, even in PrPro. I like having all of my controls out in the open, ready for me to use them.

As a PS, it's the same with Adobe Encore, the full-featured authoring app., that ships with PrPro, as of CS3. Everything is manual, such as the linking of the Buttons, etc.. In PrE, things are pretty much semi-automatic. One adds Markers, chooses a Menu Set, and then PrE does all of the linking. I want to do it all by hand, as I know exactly what I (or my client) want(s). With that manual operation, I do a lot more work, but the benefit is so very much more control. There are many features that I can incorporate into my DVD's, that are impossible in PrE.

All of that is just my personal feelings, and I keep my fingers X'ed, that Adobe will not "streamline" the GUI in PrPro any more.

Good luck,

Hunt