6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2012 8:12 AM by VDOSurfer

Adobe Elements 10 - desktop playback issues (out of ideas)

DJY2011

Hello All -. I've hit a wall with troubleshooting this issue and I have applied all the known suggested corrections I've read.

I have a quad-core PC running Windows 7, 64 bit, with 8Gb RAM, mirrored SATA drives and an newly updated NVidia GTX550Ti video card with current drivers and 1Gb of ram. I viewed the system performance on playback and the CPU averaged at 18% and the memory usage peaked at 2.5Gb. Plenty of system resources available. Rebooted several times with only Elements open as well - same issues.

The video starts out with 8 PNG files then a MTS hi-def video, then an AVI screeen capture video, and ends with 2 PNGs. But the playback stops in random spots before it gets to the first video. It may catch up with very choppy video playback; sometimes not. So the playback results are the same but occur in different PNGs. The timeline does continues on smoothly.

I have rendered the workspace.

I have applied the latest Elements 10 updates.

I do not see the GPU settings in the Edit/Preferences/General (as stated in an Adobe support doc but I did make this change at the NVIDIA control panel).

The disk is not fragmented.

At this point I am out of ideas.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Adobe Elements 10 - desktop playback issues (out of ideas)
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of the PNG Images?

I assume that the MTS file is AVCHD. Is that correct?

What Project Preset did you choose, at New Project, and when you first dragged the MTS to the Timeline, did you have a red line above it?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Adobe Elements 10 - desktop playback issues (out of ideas)
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How large are your PNGs? They should not be larger than 2000x1500 pixels in size.

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format is it?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select? If you've selected the correct project settings, you will NOT see red lines above your video clips when you add them to your timeline. Is this the case in your project?

Mirroring drives can also adversey affect performance without offering any real advantages, especially with intensive processes like video editing, by the way. But let's explore your project settings first as well as the sizes of your photos.

• 3. Re: Adobe Elements 10 - desktop playback issues (out of ideas)
              DJY2011 Level 1

So I got a good reality check.  I called Adobe support and it dawned on me that I am pulling the media files from a NAS via wireless network,  Understanding now that the media files are read each time I playback, I'll assume at this point that this is where to problem lies.  a DOH! moment for a greenhorn.  I'm moving the files local.

The media files themselves do not appear to be an issue - the PNGs are 962x720 an the Sony hi-def video (MTS file type works well when exported).

So, here's a question about drive configurations - I read that seperating the OS and EXE from the project is best.  If that's the case, I can install a seperate SATA drive for the project files.  Does that make sense?

Thanks guys!!

• 4. Re: Adobe Elements 10 - desktop playback issues (out of ideas)
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, trying to run on a network does NOT work... I think the are for PPro, but the idea is the same

Not in a Network environment http://forums.adobe.com/thread/771151

-a work around, of sorts http://forums.adobe.com/thread/957523

Yes, you need a second, local hard drive for your video files

My 3 hard drives are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folder and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (*)

(*) for 4 drives, drive 3 all source files & drive 4 all output files

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing

You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions

Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work

You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand

A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing

You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything

I find that the three drives I use work very well for me, for editing AVCHD video... some people use a 4th drive, so video INPUT files are on drive three and all OUTPUT files are on drive four... I only bought a mid-tower case instead of a full tower case (my bad... but had to fit in the space available on my office desk!) so I use the three drives that will fit

Depending on your exact hardware (motherboard brand & model AND USB2 enclosure brand & model AND external hard drive brand & model) AND the type of video file, you may... or may NOT... be able to use an external USB2 hard drive for SD (Standard Definition) video editing

Steve Grisetti in the Premiere Elements forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856208 and Jim Simon in the Premiere Pro forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856433 use USB externals for editing

A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used the eSata Dock below... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_ t

• 5. Re: Adobe Elements 10 - desktop playback issues (out of ideas)
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Working to/from a NAS, even my dual Gigabite NAS, is slow. Working with a Copy of your media on an internal HDD, should speed things up greatly. I also get good speed when using FW-800, or eSATA HDD's, but an internal will be faster, than the FW-800, and might be very slightly faster than even the eSATA (but it would be hard to see any difference there).

Those PNG's should not be an issue. We were both worried that they were overly-large, as all those unused pixels WILL really slow things down, as PrE has to process them, even if they are not seen, beyond the Frame Size. Yours should not be an issue.

Matching the Project's Preset to the MTS footage, however, will insure best playback, and a good editing experience.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Adobe Elements 10 - desktop playback issues (out of ideas)
                    VDOSurfer Level 3

Files from network do have known issues.. Project settings matter just the same. You are mixing the assets and a single project setting might not really solve the problem. Convert all of the media to a single type, resolution and codec (Use Export from PrE) and then bring them all together to one project.