6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 1:29 PM by billbuch

BlackMagic Design vs AJA Kona

billbuch Level 1

I've been a BMD i/o card user since about 2003 and currently run their Decklink HD Extreme with PP-CS5.5.2.  I use a plug-in that's very important in my work (Magic Bullet Looks 2). Problem is it doesn't work properly with the BM card (Video Out does not function). Red Giant tech says there's an issue with the Decklink driver, which they have yet to resolve (in over 3 months). Interestingly, the long-awaited Video Out feature is the reason I (and probably a lot of others) recently upgraded to Looks 2. With it, each adjustment to the effect your making should be instantly reflected on the external video monitor (rather than on just the Looks interface on the computer monitor). Not until you close Looks, are you able to see the effect on the TV monitor, where it counts. Whether they get it resolved any time soon is anyone's guess. I'm not sure I can or want to wait any longer.

So, I'm considering replacing the Decklink card with a comparable AJA Kona card with which Looks 2 is fully functional. Can anyone share their experience with the AJA Kona brand HD i/o card, comparing it to the Decklink line?

Thanks,

Bill Buchanan

Sys/App info:

Win 7 Pro 64-bit

nvidia GT 570

1880 Areca Raid controller

16g mem

Asus P68P67 WS Revolution mobo

Adobe PPro CS5.5.2

• 1. Re: BlackMagic Design vs AJA Kona
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The problem is likely Red Giant has set the plugin host service as an outside service to Adobe. Adobe has the Blackmagic card locked down as any host program would with an I/O device and does not release it when the host is in the background. Evidently the Aja driver will release the card when Adobe is in the background if that works. What sequence preset are you using in Adobe with the Blackmagic card.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: BlackMagic Design vs AJA Kona
            billbuch Level 1

Thanks Eric

Talked with Red Giant tech recently. They claim it's an issue with the Blackmagic Design driver, i.e., the problem is BMD's, and until BMD resolves the issue, there's nothing Red Giant can do about it. They also mentioned that they're having other problems with AJA's driver. So, my replacing the BMD card with a Kona won't solve my problem either. They suggested a workaround of some sort, which would work if I was working in AE, which I am not. I just sent a problem report to BMD, but have not heard back as yet.

The sequence preset I'm using is a BMD 720/24p AVC-intra. I have tried others to no avail.

Bill

• 3. Re: BlackMagic Design vs AJA Kona

I suspect Blackmagic wont make it a high priority since they will likely consider this Red Giant's issue with how their plugin works. What was the work around they suggested by chance? BTW did you try the Blackmagic MJpeg sequence yet?

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: BlackMagic Design vs AJA Kona
                billbuch Level 1

Eric

Red Giant Tech's words:

"In After Effects, go to Preferences>Video Preview and make sure 'Computer Monitor only' is selected. You can then launch Looks. In order to switch back to AE you will need to turn off the external video in Looks and turn it back on in AE."

Another of their suggestions that didn't work:

"You should be able to switch your card by going to the Play Back Setting in Premiere. In the Source Monitor or Program Monitor, click the panel menu button to the upper right, select Playback Settings. Here is a page that might help, please see the bottom section:"

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS1c9bc5c2e465a58a91cf0b1038518aef7-7cd7a .html

And yet another that didn't work:

"It may not be the best workflow for you, however to get around this issue you must first turn off the video preview in your host before launching looks 2. If you wish to continue to use the video preview in your host you must turn off Look's external video before returning to your host."

Bill

• 5. Re: BlackMagic Design vs AJA Kona

Yep that work around confirms exactly what I suspected. Red Giant is running their plugin service as an separate host service. Adobe will not release the Blackmagic card as long as it's selected and initialized. This is a Red Giant issue with how they setup their plugin with Adobe. That is why you have to switch the preview in AE to Computer monitor when you want to use the Red Giant so AE will release the device.

To essentially do the same thing in Premiere, you have to close the Blackmagic sequence from the timeline and change the player to the Adobe Player. So create a non-Blackmagic sequence as a Duplicate sequence in your project. Leave it on the timeline. Copy and paste the Blackmagic Sequence over to that when you want to launch the Red Giant plugin. Close the Blackmagic Sequence from the time line. Then drop the plugin into the Duplicate sequence and launch the Red Giant Interface. See if it will then utilize the Blackmagic card in the Red Giant Host panel

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: BlackMagic Design vs AJA Kona
                    billbuch Level 1

Eric

Your instructions worked!! A lot to go through to get there, but getting there beats hell out of purchasing another card, etc.

Thanks a bunch,

Bill