5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2012 5:15 AM by BKBK

Onclick with checkboxes and add value to a string

pmlink360 Level 1

Hello, I have a search results page that has a checkbox next to each returned record. Is there a way to append its value to a string via an Onclick function? My search results page uses paging as well, that is why I was wondering if it can be done as they click the checkbox.

• 1. Re: Onclick with checkboxes and add value to a string
          BKBK Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Which variables hold the value of the search results? If one knows this, then answering the question will be easy.

• 2. Re: Onclick with checkboxes and add value to a string
            pmlink360 Level 1

The name of my form is "get_records" and the name of my checkbox is "f_selected_record".

I was using this code but I was only getting the current id of the checkboxes on the current page I was on.....so if I did a search and clicked on a checkbox on page 1 and went to page 2 clicked 2 checboxes, I would only have the 2 ids from page 2.

<cfif isdefined("form.get_records")>

<cfloop index="i" list="#Form.f_selected_record#" delimiters=";">

<cfoutput><cfset session.get_all_records = ListAppend(session.get_all_records,'#i#')></cfoutput>

</cfloop>

</cfif>

• 3. Re: Onclick with checkboxes and add value to a string

pmlink360 wrote:

The name of my form is "get_records" and the name of my checkbox is "f_selected_record".

I was using this code but I was only getting the current id of the checkboxes on the current page I was on.....so if I did a search and clicked on a checkbox on page 1 and went to page 2 clicked 2 checboxes, I would only have the 2 ids from page 2.

<cfif isdefined("form.get_records")>

<cfloop index="i" list="#Form.f_selected_record#" delimiters=";">

<cfoutput><cfset session.get_all_records = ListAppend(session.get_all_records,'#i#')></cfoutput>

</cfloop>

</cfif>

If the name of your form is "get_records", then this statement is absurd: <cfif isdefined("form.get_records")>. The statement suggests that "get_records" is the name of a field in the form. Is it?

You said you have a search results page that has a checkbox next to each returned record. My question is, which variables hold the values of the returned records? Do you have 2 forms, one posting to the results page and one on the results page(in which are the checkboxes)?

• 4. Re: Onclick with checkboxes and add value to a string
                pmlink360 Level 1

I typo'ed that....I meant f_selected_record which is the name of the checkbox.This way is not working so I'm trying to understand if anyone has an example of adding the value of a checkbox to a string via an onClick method. I do not have 2 forms, the information is just output to the results page.

• 5. Re: Onclick with checkboxes and add value to a string

Put the following files in the same directory, and do the test. I hope it tells you things you wish to know.

form_page.cfm

<cfform action="results_page.cfm">

<!---Using same name for the fields means the form will submit a comma-delimited list (under one field name) --->

Checkbox 1: <cfinput name="f_selected_record" type="checkbox" value="value_of_checkbox_1"><br>

Checkbox 2: <cfinput name="f_selected_record" type="checkbox" value="value_of_checkbox_2"><br>

Checkbox 3: <cfinput name="f_selected_record" type="checkbox" value="value_of_checkbox_3"><br>

<cfinput name="sbmt" type="submit" value="Post to results page">

</cfform>

results_page.cfm

<!--- Variable session.get_all_records is initialized whenever a form is submitted --->

<cfset session.get_all_records = "">

<!--- Variable session.get_all_records collects and stores the submitted records cumulatively, including repeated submissions --->

<!---<cfparam name="session.get_all_records" type="string" default="">--->

<cfif isdefined("form.f_selected_record")>

<!--- Remember it is by default a comma-delimited list--->

<cfloop index="i" list="#Form.f_selected_record#">       

<cfset session.get_all_records = ListAppend(session.get_all_records,'#i#')>

</cfloop>

</cfif>

session.get_all_records: <cfoutput>#session.get_all_records#</cfoutput>